Dissecting the Nest Plus Auto Trading API

yusi

Is it possible to get streaming quotes out of NOW.exe ?
So many utilities are doing so... for example josh's or TracerBullet's.

to an external java program...?
Directly --yes, if the java program provides the interface or direct IPC mechanism. Indirectly -- yes, file IO / database / SOAP / etc. Even better, use the particular java program to directly access quotes from NOW.exe.

Where is auto-trading coming into the frame?

onlinegtrash

I searched for their utilities posted in TJ...links are dead or it all links to excel...

yeah.. its not exactly for auto trading...

just wanted to create my own fancy charts (for example a chart for monitoring volatility spikes of option price)... and place some custom alerts... am just comfortable enough to do discretionary trading, auto trading is bit in far future to me...
but like to wet my feet and see if I can play with real time tick data...

I can understand sockets/ipc etc. but don't know where to start...

radha55

Hi,

After reading this full thread, i tried playing with Nest (Zerodha), Excel Macros and placing orders.

I logged in to Zerodha, launched Nest Plus.
Then i opened excel, created a macro as below and ran this macro from excel sheet.

Sub TestIE()
Set plusObject = CreateObject("nest.plusapi")
plusObject.SetObjectName ("DryRun")
plusObject.PlaceOrder("BUY", "OrderNo_1", "NSE", "HINDALCO-EQ", "DAY", "LIMIT", 1, 100.15, 0, 1, "NRML", "RGxxx-13906") = 1

End Sub

When i run the above macro, in my Zerodha Nest Trader software i get message saying ObjectName not set SetObjectName is not called.

However, the macro code above sets objectName.

Any help?

Last edited:

yusi

Hi,

After reading this full thread, i tried playing with Nest (Zerodha), Excel Macros and placing orders.

I logged in to Zerodha, launched Nest Plus.
Then i opened excel, created a macro as below and ran this macro from excel sheet.

Sub TestIE()
plusObject.SetObjectName ("DryRun")
plusObject.PlaceOrder("BUY", "OrderNo_1", "NSE", "HINDALCO-EQ", "DAY", "LIMIT", 1, 100.15, 0, 1, "NRML", "RGxxx-13906") = 1

End Sub

When i run the above macro, in my Zerodha Nest Trader software i get message saying ObjectName not set SetObjectName is not called.

However, the macro code above sets it.

Any help?
Firstly, a well-framed question.

I tried your code with a few modifications, and it works fine. Cannot expect the order to be placed, it being a holiday, but the API Generated Orders window did open up with the placed order.

Code:
Sub TestIE()
Call plusObject.SetObjectName("DryRun")
Call plusObject.PlaceOrder("BUY", "OrderNo_1", "NSE", "HINDALCO-EQ", "DAY", "LIMIT", 1, 140.05, 0, 1, "CNC", "DYxxx-13906")
End Sub
The key modification is the use of Call that is required if using parameters in brackets (guess that is why you added the = 1 at the end of the PlaceOrder line!). I think that for Nest Trader, the client ID could simply be RGxxx without the broker ID -- the broker ID part is required for NOW.

If the modified code does not work for you, check that your Plus Trading Plugin is enabled. Check the unlocked symbol in Nest Plus -> My Nest Plus Account -> Plus Dashboard.

radha55

Firstly, a well-framed question.

I tried your code with a few modifications, and it works fine. Cannot expect the order to be placed, it being a holiday, but the API Generated Orders window did open up with the placed order.

Code:
Sub TestIE()
Call plusObject.SetObjectName("DryRun")
Call plusObject.PlaceOrder("BUY", "OrderNo_1", "NSE", "HINDALCO-EQ", "DAY", "LIMIT", 1, 140.05, 0, 1, "CNC", "DYxxx-13906")
End Sub
The key modification is the use of Call that is required if using parameters in brackets (guess that is why you added the = 1 at the end of the PlaceOrder line!). I think that for Nest Trader, the client ID could simply be RGxxx without the broker ID -- the broker ID part is required for NOW.

If the modified code does not work for you, check that your Plus Trading Plugin is enabled. Check the unlocked symbol in Nest Plus -> My Nest Plus Account -> Plus Dashboard.
Hi Yusi, Thanks.

Even this time, i got the same message.
My plus trading plugin is not unlocked. (may be thats the reason).
I am attaching few images here that would help others to co-relate this problem to theirs.

yusi

Hi Yusi, Thanks.

Even this time, i got the same message.
My plus trading plugin is not unlocked. (may be thats the reason).
I am attaching few images here that would help others to co-relate this problem to theirs.
That would certainly be the reason. Call or email Zerodha requesting them to enable it; they typically take 24 to 48 hours. Expect to be asked what data feed you use, etc.