Disk read error

Raghuveer

You probably already know these things, but for those who don't know how to access files from an un-bootable hdd see below.

Download any Linux live cd. Boot from live cd and copy all files that you want.

Some live cds: Linuxmint (preferred) 1.5 gb, Ubuntu 1gb, Puppy linux 162 mb, DSL (Damn small Linux) 50mb only.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Make a bootable USB drive. Easy but requires a blank pen drive.
If you don't want to or can't use a pendrive: Burn bootable image to dvd (Read-write dvd also ok).
use imgburn or any image burning software​

Add a good hdd (external or internal).
Boot PC using pen drive or dvd and use file manager to copy files to good hdd.

Another approach (Risky for inexperienced people) is to clone the entire hdd or a hdd partition you are interested in. Use EaseUs disk copy free, CloneZilla free. These require a blank hdd equal to or larger than the partition/disk being cloned. Cloning may be hard and confusing for those who have not done it before. Many people copy the blank hdd onto the data hdd and repent later.

Just because you managed to copy a file using these steps does not mean the file is not corrupted. You will still have to verify each file to see if it's ok.

DSM

Yes, a very good idea. Luckily I have saved some important doccuments in that manner and are available in my gmail, which I use only to save imp. doccs.

There may be a question of security/privacy though. But the info and files are such that they are meaningful to me, and not to any hackers or such who may get their hand on it.

Scan the Bills and other documents and email self! ! :D

DSM

Raghuveer,

Just a question - Will booting from live cd give access to hard disk which is unreadable? If so, this is a good suggestion. Though my laptop is now with the tech guys will save this info for future use.

Thanks a ton. Appreciated.

You probably already know these things, but for those who don't know how to access files from an un-bootable hdd see below.

Download any Linux live cd. Boot from live cd and copy all files that you want.

Some live cds: Linuxmint (preferred) 1.5 gb, Ubuntu 1gb, Puppy linux 162 mb, DSL (Damn small Linux) 50mb only.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Make a bootable USB drive. Easy but requires a blank pen drive.
If you don't want to or can't use a pendrive: Burn bootable image to dvd (Read-write dvd also ok).
use imgburn or any image burning software​

Add a good hdd (external or internal).
Boot PC using pen drive or dvd and use file manager to copy files to good hdd.

Another approach (Risky for inexperienced people) is to clone the entire hdd or a hdd partition you are interested in. Use EaseUs disk copy free, CloneZilla free. These require a blank hdd equal to or larger than the partition/disk being cloned. Cloning may be hard and confusing for those who have not done it before. Many people copy the blank hdd onto the data hdd and repent later.

Just because you managed to copy a file using these steps does not mean the file is not corrupted. You will still have to verify each file to see if it's ok.

Raghuveer,

Just a question - Will booting from live cd give access to hard disk which is unreadable? If so, this is a good suggestion. Though my laptop is now with the tech guys will save this info for future use.

@DSM

By the way: Did you ask the tech guy why your HDD is broken as you told you did a repair two weeks ago. Haven't they checked the status of your HDD when they did that service???

Try for your self any of the tools available who check the status of your HDD. Just block them to go out with your Firewall as you mostly have to block any freeware with your Firewall. I use: CristalDiskInfo.

Raghuveer

Raghuveer,

Yes.
Booting from any live cd will give full access to all disks connected to that pc.
All unencrypted files will be readable.
Encrypted files can be copied.
Any file that could not be deleted from within windows (due to file lock, virus etc) can now be deleted without any problem.

Using bootable tools like "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor":
Windows registry can be edited.
Windows password can be reset to blank.​

—————Free Bootable Antivirus Tools ————— see pendrivelinux dot com.

Acronis Antimalware CD
AOSS (Malware Scanner) system\stage1
AVG Rescue CD (Antivirus Scanner)
AVIRA AntiVir Rescue CD (Virus Scanner) ; does install to root of drive
Comodo Rescue Disk (Antivirus Scanner)
Dr.Web Live CD ; does install to root
F-Secure Rescue CD
GDATA Rescue CD
Kaspersky Rescue Disk (Antivirus Scanner)
Panda SafeCD
Windows Defender Offline

DSM

Nope Dan,

I did not.... :(

Thanks for the info on CristalDiskInfo. Will check it out.

@DSM

By the way: Did you ask the tech guy why your HDD is broken as you told you did a repair two weeks ago. Haven't they checked the status of your HDD when they did that service???

Try for your self any of the tools available who check the status of your HDD. Just block them to go out with your Firewall as you mostly have to block any freeware with your Firewall. I use: CristalDiskInfo.

DSM

Thanks Raghuveer,

Very useful info. for future use. But this will be of immense help traders reading this surely.

Yes.
Booting from any live cd will give full access to all disks connected to that pc.
All unencrypted files will be readable.
Encrypted files can be copied.
Any file that could not be deleted from within windows (due to file lock, virus etc) can now be deleted without any problem.

Using bootable tools like "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor":
Windows registry can be edited.
Windows password can be reset to blank.​

—————Free Bootable Antivirus Tools ————— see pendrivelinux dot com.

Acronis Antimalware CD
AOSS (Malware Scanner) system\stage1
AVG Rescue CD (Antivirus Scanner)
AVIRA AntiVir Rescue CD (Virus Scanner) ; does install to root of drive
Comodo Rescue Disk (Antivirus Scanner)
Dr.Web Live CD ; does install to root
F-Secure Rescue CD
GDATA Rescue CD
Kaspersky Rescue Disk (Antivirus Scanner)
Panda SafeCD
Windows Defender Offline

DSM

Finally got the laptop back.

Upgraged HDD 3,300 instead of 2,500
Service Chgs. 500
QuickHeal Anti-Virus (1 Year) 1,000
Total 4,800

The old HDD is still being checked for data recovery. While the data is recoverable, it may not be usable - Depends if it is corrupted or not. If it is readable, the same will be transferred to the laptop for additional cost of Rs. 500

Appreciate help from all you guys. Just realised that though I know you guys only virtually, I got a lot of support when I needed it, and some of it in form of PM's. Know that while you guys are trader, you have a heart of gold. Be blessed, always.