Disk read error

I am unable to use my laptop (using a spare one now). The message I get on boot is 'A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reRECOVER' followed by a few machine characters.

But if I do so, nothing happens, and I get back the same message again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi DSM

To give you an answer on this topic, you kindly should post the name and version of your operating system and what you have done in specific on any changes or updates on any software in the last few days.

Any way: As you now went to the shop, you will have to answers the questions asked from them about your problem.

Take care / Dan

DSM

Thank you all for the feedback. Still operating from the spare laptop. Do not have access to trading and charting platform.

Dan, thanks, I should have mentioned the specs.

Laptop is DELL i5,
O/S : Windows 7
RAM : 8 GB
No software changes made.

Had heating issues previously which used to result in abrupt shutdown. So had the laptop fully serviced (got it cleaned for dust etc) and had cooling get applied. Thereafter it was working fine (for the last 2 weeks) till I got this disk error.

DSM

DSM

Update :

The tech guys say the HDD requires replacement. This is post some test they did on the system. Cost of 500 GM new HDD is 2,500. Tech/service charges 500. Data recovery : Minimum 500 - Max 5,000. Tech.

I have agreed to pay 500 max for data. As most of the data is pdf collection trading books, charts, and notes. So have to see if this can be recovered. It's 50-50 probability.

Lesson : Next time ensure regular backup of data, preferably on cloud and important data on external drive.

Snake.Head

Update :

The tech guys say the HDD requires replacement. This is post some test they did on the system. Cost of 500 GM new HDD is 2,500. Tech/service charges 500. Data recovery : Minimum 500 - Max 5,000. Tech.

I have agreed to pay 500 max for data. As most of the data is pdf collection trading books, charts, and notes. So have to see if this can be recovered. It's 50-50 probability.

Lesson : Next time ensure regular backup of data, preferably on cloud and important data on external drive.
Price is ok for new hdd
Books can download
Next time use dropbox and google drive for backup of notes/charts

DSM

Thanks Snake.Head,

Lesson learnt.

Also, something that I have to pay for, which is a good lesson to all. If you have a laptop or computer with original software, retain the 16 digit code which is mentioned on the sticker. I will now have to pay additional 1,000 bucks odd, because these numbers are blurred and I do not have the original Microsoft key for the software.

Another lesson is to create a startup disk.... which I did not. Another learning - Keep doccumentation and paperwork. Mostly the bills for purchase these days are printed on paper with fading ink, which is of no use even if the bill is saved. So this has either to be laminated or a photocopy of the invoice made for future reference.

Price is ok for new hdd
Books can download
Next time use dropbox and google drive for backup of notes/charts

umeshmandal

Thanks Snake.Head,

Lesson learnt.

Also, something that I have to pay for, which is a good lesson to all. If you have a laptop or computer with original software, retain the 16 digit code which is mentioned on the sticker. I will now have to pay additional 1,000 bucks odd, because these numbers are blurred and I do not have the original Microsoft key for the software.

Another lesson is to create a startup disk.... which I did not. Another learning - Keep doccumentation and paperwork. Mostly the bills for purchase these days are printed on paper with fading ink, which is of no use even if the bill is saved. So this has either to be laminated or a photocopy of the invoice made for future reference.
Scan the Bills and other documents and email self! ! :D