Disk read error

DSM

I am unable to use my laptop (using a spare one now). The message I get on boot is 'A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reRECOVER' followed by a few machine characters.

But if I do so, nothing happens, and I get back the same message again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am unable to use my laptop (using a spare one now). The message I get on boot is 'A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reRECOVER' followed by a few machine characters.

But if I do so, nothing happens, and I get back the same message again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Take it straight to a hardwarewala. Don't waste effort on it, it's going to cost anyway. Be prepared for a new hard disk. If it is only an error in the system areas, then a professional may be able to repair and recover.

try windows recovery, unplug any pendrives

Snake.Head

@DSM
Mostly hard disk is gone.
You will have to buy new hd for laptop

DSM

Thanks TP, Faizal and Sanke.Head Appreciate your prompt response. Will go to the hardware guys and have it checked out.....

TradeOptions

That is the best option DSM bhai. As the experts are best suited to handle such a situation. If we mess around with the hard drive, experimenting with data recovery software etc. then that might complicate the issue and make the data recovery even harder later on. If you have some friend or known guy in the PC shop that would be best, otherwise many PC Shop guys try to take out big money from such cases, even though the data might be easily recoverable.

Learn from this incident and ALWAYS keep backups of important data "if you do not do that already". If you do not have a backup hard drive "portable one", then spend some extra bucks and buy an extra hard drive for the backup purpose as well. If you have good internet speed and unlimited plan, then you can also create a backup on Cloud as well.

Wish you all the best.
With Regards

DSM

Thank you TradeOptions and Umeshmandal. I have decided to give the laptop to a repair shop. Let's see what they can do. I will update on this thread...

Thank you TradeOptions and Umeshmandal. I have decided to give the laptop to a repair shop. Let's see what they can do. I will update on this thread...
Yup.. I was about to request this; keep us updated. Who knows, the problem may strike me the next :)

From the error I think the hard disc is damaged. I had encountered this error once and I had to replace the hard disc.

Smart_trade