Discount Broker Comparison

I was one the guys who thought of being early bird and checking out MStock :)
But to be honest, they just launched with a very primitive structure.

The only reason to try it was bcos of the Big name.

1. Their support channels are still growing. Difficult to connect calls, takes long for email reply( like next day ).
Cust exec also not very updated.
No forum, even Traderji can invite here. Finvasia does good job replying here.

2. UI issues are very many as i read from Twitter and SM. Many have highlighted various issues.
Charts were not saving. They are using basic Trading view library.
They currently have Web-browser and Mobile app. ( I dont really use any mobile apps kite, fyers etc )
No desktop.

3. No Mutual Funds yet. You cant pledge also. Finvasia haircut is 25% in MF i heard, which is their big con.
mstock say in pipeline.
Infact overall pledging mechanism of mstock seems to be unclear.

4. They dont have Easiest( this is a big issue ), everything need to be done via Physical DIS slip.
That too need to courier to Mumbai office.
So im hesitant to unpledge in current brokers and move there.
Might be big issue during buyback etc like Fyers had. Easiest is a must for serious portf holder and off-market transactions.

5. No GTT etc I didnt even bother to compile feature list. Obviously no APIs.

6. I don't see anything like BackOffice or Support Portal. Reporting like PnL etc not there.
Only one tab with Ledger, contract note and tradebook

Charting etc is very basic but i use my own s/w, only for order punching, it should be good as they'd have very less load.
Unable to open index charts.

Some good stuff:
Effort in option chain kind of tool, Global indices and some widgets like Gainers/Losers etc and News feed, IPO.

mstock total margin 1 Lot NF overnight = 101,125/-
Z same: 98,727/-

I dont have account at Dhan, but those guys are highly active on their forum and taking constant feedback and implementing features.

Verdict for Mstock:
Can't write them off, but they launched too early. Might take them even a year for a Trader to be comfortable there.

Maybe paradise for option buyers though and equity investors who are just starting out.
So if you have spare 2400/- & can spend it for 0 brokerage + Demat amc free offer.

I wish they would have researched competition thoroughly,
I think m.stock does not allow margin pledge to get collateral margin yet

Anyone checked this study?
https://www.sebi.gov.in/reports-and...rs-dealing-in-equity-fando-segment_67525.html

Going by this there are about 45 lakhs individual trader (from top 10 brokers based on Individual trader's turnover) in FY21-22, and the same year NSE active clients were about 3.5 crores (https://www.nseindia.com/invest/arbitration-status). Since the study only accounts the top 10 brokers, can't know for sure how many individual traders were there in that 3.5crores. But still that 45 lakhs look like lot less than I expected, I mean in terms of %. So most of the trading are done by non individuals.

@Finvasia has only about 25 Gsec scrips eligible for margin pledge - I think its ridiculous because Gsec has very low - almost nil liquidity so unable to buy from secondary market or get from primary market (reissue scrips) either from bsedirect or nsegobid - so we are forced choose other options for cash collateral. I think they are being unreasonable on this front...like they were unreasonable when they were charging 25% haircut on mutual funds ....even now its 15% which is still higher than industry std 10% @travi @timepass

travi

@Finvasia has only about 25 Gsec scrips eligible for margin pledge - I think its ridiculous because Gsec has very low - almost nil liquidity so unable to buy from secondary market or get from primary market (reissue scrips) either from bsedirect or nsegobid - so we are forced choose other options for cash collateral. I think they are being unreasonable on this front...like they were unreasonable when they were charging 25% haircut on mutual funds ....even now its 15% which is still higher than industry std 10% @travi @timepass
These guys are extra cautious and it's not ideal for customers. I mentioned few times as well when it was 25%.
0 brokerage trade-off i guess.

Having said that, I'm also a bit paranoid with gsec when it comes to liquidation. Imagine in a crash, these non-liquid instruments have to be dumped for margin recovery.

I am not sure what are other options for unlimited trading at fixed price-
m.stock sounds promising but no collateral available at the moment and I think flattrade must have ddpi sent to them via courier so edis does not work ...(I am not comfortable giving ddpi - minor version of POA to any broker)

Last edited:

vsaran

Info from FLAT TRADE:

Pros:

1. ZERO Brokerage ( incl intra / F&O etc ), 0 Demat+AMC, inr. 400 account opening charges

2. Free API access - no charges

3. MTF - Margin Funding : only for Cash mkt-Equity ( NO derivatives ) upto limit of 2.5X account value and 12% p.a interest calculated daily includes taxes.

4. Same day pledge / unpledge ( done via Email )

5. Desktop and mobile app. No info about web-based

Charges are clear on their website

Cons:
1. No Mutual Funds, therefore no buying, pledging etc ( said maybe in future )

2. No CDSL Easiest, only physical DIS (hardcopy)

3. small footprint/regional presence so not sure about infra capacity, scaling up etc

Review:
Chose NOT to open A/C but has the traditional broker feel to it. Good for those who want MTF and 0 brokerage for scalping / auto or algo trade testing / options gambling:p
It is not good to scalp/intraday trading with flattrade.customer care is negligible.Contacting via phone is a himalayan task.A big NO for intraday trading.