Direct Investment in Mutual Funds

I understand that few mutual fund houses have started accepting daily SIP which is a grear way of averaging the cost of our investments.

Minimum daily SIP amount is Rs 100. So deposit Rs 1 lakh in liquid fund of that fund house and give instructions for daily SIP of Rs 100 to be invsted in its equity fund SIP.....one invests daily for 1000 days or over 3.5 years.....and liquid fund earns 4-5 % returns in that period....nice way of handling volatility of equity fund.

Smart_trade

I understand that few mutual fund houses have started accepting daily SIP which is a grear way of averaging the cost of our investments.

Minimum daily SIP amount is Rs 100. So deposit Rs 1 lakh in liquid fund of that fund house and give instructions for daily SIP of Rs 100 to be invsted in its equity fund SIP.....one invests daily for 1000 days or over 3.5 years.....and liquid fund earns 4-5 % returns in that period....nice way of handling volatility of equity fund.

Smart_trade
can you illustrate with an example of the costs of these trades i.e. the liquid fund buying + daily 100Rs. SIP ?

travi

can you illustrate with an example of the costs of these trades i.e. the liquid fund buying + daily 100Rs. SIP ?
Cost should be Nil. You will get NAV for it.

In ST Sirs particular post, the term I think is referred to as STP (ST Sir plz check) In STP, standing instruction to sell some NAV from one MF and put in another MF.

Other methods:
For auto SIP, there are some forms to be filled, like standing instructions with a bank.
From what I understand, I've not seen any bank charges on my statement although I do it monthly.

Another scenario is if you are doing it through broker than the amount is from balance with Broker. Again no trx chgs.

EDIT: Brokers generally get commissions from fund house and therefore upfront chgs aren't billed.

Last edited:
Can anyone please explain me the actual savings that we can make by subscribing to a direct plan instead of a regular plan? For e.g. if I invest Rs.5000 monthly for a period of 10 years and assume the fund grows 10% annually, then what what would be the returns in Direct as well as Regular plan?

Hello all,

I have been investing by mf adviser or say financial adviser since long time but thinking now to do by my self only in DIRECT INVESTMENT manner.

I want to invest in icici balanced fund monthly dividend option but regular plan's nav is lower than direct plan's. how will the dividend declaration per month will effect on this ? say is direct plan is better than the regular plan in this particular fund ? quite confused in this. looking for good guidance over this !!

Hello everyone. I currently have a lump sum amount in FDs, i want to invest a part of it in MFs, ~ 5-7 lakhs, spread out across 6-10 MFs, various caps, long term, mostly agressive. I plan on investing around 20% upfront and the rest through an SIP ( here also I am confused, whether to do it from a savings account, or consider some other Liquid fund ).

My question is would it be better to buy Mutual Funds from portals like HDFC Securites, or online advisors like Upwardly/Scripbox ? Do they provide Direct MFs or Regular plans ? Or should I individually signup for every MF? How much would be the difference for 10 year period ?

i am nre and was trying to start mutual funds.
then i came to know if we start direct plan vs regular plan then direct plan have great returns.
then i find difficult to do KYC then any how i am in process of KYC.

i have selected few mutulal funds but need guidance.

HDFC BALANCED FUNDS (DIRECT)
ADITYA BIRLA SUN LIFE ADVANTAGE
(but came to know aditya birla will close)

can any one guide me which one is good

Franklin India Smaller Companies Mutual Fund
Fund Manager: Mr. R Janakiraman

Franklin India Smaller Companies Fund was launched on January 13, 2006. The fund has given returns of 15.29% since then. The total assets under management (AUM) of the fund stands at Rs. 4,542 crore as on January 31, 2017. The fund is a small-cap equity fund which has invested around 62% in mid-cap and mid-cap companies, around 17% in large-cap companies and around 11% in debt instruments. It has very well diversified portfolio of 74 stocks.

Trailing Returns (%)

1-year

3-year

5-year

10-year

Franklin India Smaller Companies Fund

33.93 34.13 29.23 17.41
Category

As on March 14, 2017; Source: Ace equity

Birla Sun Life Equity Mutual Fund
Fund Manager: Mrinal Singh

Birla Sun Life Equity Fund is a diversified equity fund that looks for opportunities without any sectoral or market cap bias with the aim to give long term growth of capital. Launched in the year 1998, the scheme has given returns of 24.79% since then. The fund has outperformed its benchmark S&P BSE 200 over a period of 10 years. The fund consists a total of 69 stocks in its portfolio, with large-cap stocks being given an exposure of 68.33%. The total AUM of the fund stands at Rs. 4,214 crore as on February 28, 2017.

Trailing Returns (%)

1-year

3-year

5-year

10-year

Birla Sun Life Equity Fund

35.42 25.86 20.32 13.83
Category

ICICI Prudential Value Discovery Mutual Fund
Fund Manager: Mrinal Singh

ICICI Prudential Value Discovery Fund is an open-ended equity fund which adopts a bottom-up approach to identify and pick its investments. The fund was launched in the year 2004 and it has given returns of 22.62% since then. The fund has outperformed its benchmark S&P BSE 500 and category returns over a 3-year, 5-year and 10-year period. The fund has a total of 41 stocks in its portfolio. The total AUM of the fund stands at Rs. 16,434 crore as on February 28, 2017.

Trailing Returns (%)

1-year

3-year

5-year

10-year

ICICI Prudential Value Discovery Fund

24.51 26.44 21.67 18.55
Category

HDFC Mid-cap Opportunities Mutual Fund
Fund Manager: Mr. Chirag Setalvad

Launched in the year 2007, HDFC Mid-cap Opportunities Fund attempts to generate long-term capital appreciation from a portfolio that is substantially constituted of equity and equity related securities of small and mid-cap companies. The fund has generated returns of 17.40% for its investors since inception. It has a total of 75 stocks in its portfolio. The total AUM of the fund stands at Rs. 14,755 crore as on February 28, 2017.

Trailing Returns (%)

1-year

3-year

5-year

10-year

HDFC Mid-cap Opportunities Fund

36.87 30.46 23.54 -
Category

-

UTI Mid-cap Mutual Fund
Fund Manager: Mr. Lalit Nambiar

UTI mid-cap is an open-ended equity scheme which seeks to achieve capital appreciation by investing primarily in mid-cap stocks. The fund was launched in the year 2004 and it has given returns of 19.51% since then. The fund has a total of 88 stocks in its portfolio. The total AUM of the fund stands at Rs. 3,646 crore as on February 28, 2017.

Trailing Returns (%)

1-year

3-year

5-year

10-year

UTI Mid-cap Fund

24.65 29.84 24.56 16.72
Category

Some highlights of Bajaj Finance results

Bajaj Finance Q2: PAT at Rs 557 Cr Vs Rs 410 Cr YoY
Bajaj Finance Q2: Total Revenue at Rs 3,086 Cr Vs Rs 2340 Cr YoY
Bajaj Finance Q2: NII at Rs 1,943 Cr Vs Rs 1,379 Cr YoY
Bajaj Finance Q2: PAT at Rs 557 Cr Vs Rs 408 Cr, up 37% YoY
Bajaj Finance Q2: Total Revenue at Rs 3,086 Cr Vs Rs 2,340 Cr, up 32% YoY
Bajaj Finance Q2: Gross NPA at 1.68% As On Sept 30 Vs 1.7% QoQ
Bajaj Finance Q2: NII at Rs 1,943 Cr Vs Rs 1,379 Cr, up 40.9% YoY
Bajaj Finance Q2: Gross NPA at 1.68% Vs 1.7% QoQ
Bajaj Finance Q2: AUM As Of Sept 30 at Rs 72,139 Cr, up 38%

Hello everyone.

As I posted a few months ago, I was looking forward to investing in a few Mutual Funds on my own, Direct Plans, after realising that agents not always suggest the best funds for clients but rather go for better commision.

http://www.traderji.com/community/t...t-their-portfolio.104813/page-10#post-1247973

Anyway, I am a bit late going into it. I started 5 new SIP plans, all direct, Rs 3000 per month for 36 months. They will start from 7/14/21 Nov. I bought all of these online, it hardly took 2-3 hours in all, only few stuff like PAN no, Aadhar, Netbanking ( HDFC ) was needed, you need to be KYC verified, and some required signed cancelled cheque of the account you're using for the funds.

These are the funds
Motilal Focused Multicap 35 -DP (G) ~ stellar performance upto June 2017, a bit down now but hoping it'd bounce back.
Kotak Select Focus Fund - Direct (G) ~ holdings are safe stocks, for large cap cover.
Mirae Emerging Bluechip -Direct (G) ~ A bit heavy into banking but betting on Mirae to deliver.
HDFC Balanced Fund - Direct (G) ~ Balanced Fund cover.
HDFC Small Cap Fund - Direct (G) ~ small caps good diversity.

I have fixed deposits kept aside, these funds are a bit on the riskier side intentionally.

P.S. - I wanted to go for Reliance Small Cap Fund - Direct Plan (G) but it asked for my CKYC reference number when registering online, I dont know what it is, went with HDFC Small Cap instead.