Desktop PC

I want to buy an assembled desktop pc for trading and general use (no gaming etc)

So what should be the ideal configuration.

Though looking for

1. Intel i3 processor 4th gen
2. Motherboard Asus/Gigabyte
3. RAM 4 GB Kingston/Transcend (or is it better to use 2 x 2 GB sticks instead of 1 stick of 4 GB)
4. HDD 1 TB (WD or Seagate). There is not much difference in price of 500 GB and 1 TB, so opting for 1 TB
5. DVD writer
6. Cabinet

Not buying monitor as I recently bought a new TFT monitor 18.5", so this will do.

So want your suggestions.

BTW, What should be the ideal cost for this configuration.

Also, is it a good idea to buy online, assembled desktop with this or other lower configuration OR better to buy from local dealer

TracerBullet

For general use DONT buy i7. i7 is not needed even for gaming, maybe only if you have some cpubound critical stuff.

Your specs seem good enough for me, just read reviews of whatver you choose to weed out any bad part.
1) You will probably not notice 2 vs 1 ram stick, i think 2 sticks should give more bandwidth but you dont need it and getting 4gb will allow you to add more later ( depends on how many slots motherboard has)
2) Yes 500gb makes no sense. For me, 2tb is quite cheap vs 1tb. So if you might need space then get it ( 1TB for ~3.4k vs 2Tb for ~5.3k )
3) For normal desktop usage, even intel pentium is enough. i3 will be more than enough. You will likely notice an SSD upgrade over HD more than i3>i7. SSDs are much cheaper now than 1 year back - 128gb ~3-4k, 256gb ~6-7k. I got nice samsung one from amazon sale for 6.5k but any SSD with OS on it will be much faster to load and use. ( Once loaded, there is no performance difference ). Install OS and programs in SSD, use Hardisk for large data like movies and stuff.
4) Try to get a good quality psu. Seasonics are good.
5) You can buy from online. But i prefered to assemble via dealer as he gave good price ( primeabgb - Mumbai), did very good job for ~500Rs and should give support if needed. You can also assemble some components and buy rest from online. amazon has some good prices + 15% off via mobile app ( there is another one soon if you have citibank)
6) costs - just go to amazon and add up prices for each component - Approx prices from memory which maybe incorrect :
i3: ~7-8k , cheap motherboad (ensure compatible with processor): 3-4k, Ram ~3k for 4gb stick, Hdd 1 TB ~3.5k, DVD Writer ~1k, Cabinet - depends on what you buy, psu ~3-4k cheapest seasonic. SSD ~3-4k 128gb.

I wrote some posts long back in tj about assembling which had links to good sites - you can search for it if you want.

Last edited:

mastermind007

Is there a good site that explains difference between i3 i5 and i7 in little bit technical level?

Also, what is the difference between Dual Core and Quad Core? (I am not looking for layman answer that Dual Core has two CPUs, while Quad has four).
I want to understand, what will it mean performance wise? What kind of performance will improve and what will not?

Naturally, I too do not do lot of gaming but I want CPU that is able to handle large volume of Internet traffic (data flowing in during trading hours) and machine that is comfortable to write software in.

Is there a good site that explains difference between i3 i5 and i7 in little bit technical level?

Also, what is the difference between Dual Core and Quad Core? (I am not looking for layman answer that Dual Core has two CPUs, while Quad has four).
I want to understand, what will it mean performance wise? What kind of performance will improve and what will not?

Naturally, I too do not do lot of gaming but I want CPU that is able to handle large volume of Internet traffic (data flowing in during trading hours) and machine that is comfortable to write software in.

http://www.google.sk/url?q=https://...aCBV8A&usg=AFQjCNGSUxBp7A2twM8vfLrutkigpR_Wyg
And for trading i7 i use i7 5820 six core and DDR4 16GB RAM. By high volume and fast moving you can have lags and chart freezing. Dont save on processor and on RAM

For general use DONT buy i7. i7 is not needed even for gaming, maybe only if you have some cpubound critical stuff.

Your specs seem good enough for me, just read reviews of whatver you choose to weed out any bad part.
1) You will probably not notice 2 vs 1 ram stick, i think 2 sticks should give more bandwidth but you dont need it and getting 4gb will allow you to add more later ( depends on how many slots motherboard has)
2) Yes 500gb makes no sense. For me, 2tb is quite cheap vs 1tb. So if you might need space then get it ( 1TB for ~3.4k vs 2Tb for ~5.3k )
3) For normal desktop usage, even intel pentium is enough. i3 will be more than enough. You will likely notice an SSD upgrade over HD more than i3>i7. SSDs are much cheaper now than 1 year back - 128gb ~3-4k, 256gb ~6-7k. I got nice samsung one from amazon sale for 6.5k but any SSD with OS on it will be much faster to load and use. ( Once loaded, there is no performance difference ). Install OS and programs in SSD, use Hardisk for large data like movies and stuff.
4) Try to get a good quality psu. Seasonics are good.
5) You can buy from online. But i prefered to assemble via dealer as he gave good price ( primeabgb - Mumbai), did very good job for ~500Rs and should give support if needed. You can also assemble some components and buy rest from online. amazon has some good prices + 15% off via mobile app ( there is another one soon if you have citibank)
6) costs - just go to amazon and add up prices for each component - Approx prices from memory which maybe incorrect :
i3: ~7-8k , cheap motherboad (ensure compatible with processor): 3-4k, Ram ~3k for 4gb stick, Hdd 1 TB ~3.5k, DVD Writer ~1k, Cabinet - depends on what you buy, psu ~3-4k cheapest seasonic. SSD ~3-4k 128gb.

I wrote some posts long back in tj about assembling which had links to good sites - you can search for it if you want.
I am not going for i7, not only I do not need it but it is out of my budget.

1. Yes 1 stick is OK, so that if needed can be added 1 more in other slot
2. 2 TB :lol:, will make the system costlier by around 2K, I will like to use this amount for an SSD.
3. It is a good idea to install OS and programs on SSD, so as to get good performance and HDD to store data. Now 128 GB SSD is available around 4K. Beside Samsung there are more like Kingston, Adata, SanDisk etc.

I didnt get you for psu, isnt it same as SMPS. Then why Seasonic is that costly, because of performance or something else.

Thanks again.

Computer shop in Chennai gives prices online http://deltapage.com/
I would prefer to buy branded (Dell) since there is no price difference and we get licensed copy of OS with it
There is a wide difference in assembled and branded desktops.
Dell desktops of similar configuration (with 500 GB HDD and not 1 TB) with Linux is more than 50% costlier and with Windows about 80%

TracerBullet

http://www.google.sk/url?q=https://...aCBV8A&usg=AFQjCNGSUxBp7A2twM8vfLrutkigpR_Wyg
And for trading i7 i use i7 5820 six core and DDR4 16GB RAM. By high volume and fast moving you can have lags and chart freezing. Dont save on processor and on RAM
Very unlikely. Unless you have specific measured use case, you dont need 16 gb ram. Placebo perhaps.
You can open any task manager to check ram usage of your entire setup. Any excess ram wont make any performance diff. Perhaps having some extra ram is useful for os cache but not this much ...

Also, i doubt i3 will cause any lag unless you have some very cpu heavy afl. Most stuff will be single threaded, so six core is overkill.

Can you explain why you believe you need i7 + 16 gb ram. Lag is probably due to network rather than cpu which is never used full throttle by AB/Nest on my 1.4 ghz AMD laptop. But anyway, enjoy i7.

I am not going for i7, not only I do not need it but it is out of my budget.

1. Yes 1 stick is OK, so that if needed can be added 1 more in other slot
2. 2 TB :lol:, will make the system costlier by around 2K, I will like to use this amount for an SSD.
3. It is a good idea to install OS and programs on SSD, so as to get good performance and HDD to store data. Now 128 GB SSD is available around 4K. Beside Samsung there are more like Kingston, Adata, SanDisk etc.

I didnt get you for psu, isnt it same as SMPS. Then why Seasonic is that costly, because of performance or something else.

Thanks again.
Yes, use SSD instead of 2TB if it comes to that. Prefer SSD from decent companies - sandisk SSD now is good value. There is also crucial BX100 or samsung EVO 950 (i got this one but 128 gb for it is costly). Avoid Kingston, it did some unethical bait&switch - gave good SSD initially, got good reviews and quietly made inferior stuff later.

Ideally, if you dont have gpu even a good quality 200w psu should be enough but i didnt find it last year.
Seasonic makes good stuff with better components. Cheap companies will give higher rated psus that dont actually deliver that much and will use more power. They can cause hard to detect problems and worse may fail to protect/damage your other components. That said, i have used cheap psu on a build earlier that did last few years.

As for reasons, i am not an expert and dont have experience with bad psus. So ill give you some links instead from google. I just say what i read in many sites for recommended builds. But this is only what i picked from 1st page of google search, there should be better explanations - so you will have to search yourself and decide.

link1 link2 link3 link4 ( seems good read )

Anyway, i didnt find seasonic ECO series available now ( it was 1 year back ~3k). I am not sure what will be a good cheap psu today. You dont too much power if its cpu only. Better ask people in tech forums. You will only have to pay couple thousand more than generic psus.

Yes, use SSD instead of 2TB if it comes to that. Prefer SSD from decent companies - sandisk SSD now is good value. There is also crucial BX100 or samsung EVO 950 (i got this one but 128 gb for it is costly). Avoid Kingston, it did some unethical bait&switch - gave good SSD initially, got good reviews and quietly made inferior stuff later.

Ideally, if you dont have gpu even a good quality 200w psu should be enough but i didnt find it last year.
Seasonic makes good stuff with better components. Cheap companies will give higher rated psus that dont actually deliver that much and will use more power. They can cause hard to detect problems and worse may fail to protect/damage your other components. That said, i have used cheap psu on a build earlier that did last few years.

As for reasons, i am not an expert and dont have experience with bad psus. So ill give you some links instead from google. I just say what i read in many sites for recommended builds. But this is only what i picked from 1st page of google search, there should be better explanations - so you will have to search yourself and decide.

link1 link2 link3 link4 ( seems good read )

Anyway, i didnt find seasonic ECO series available now ( it was 1 year back ~3k). I am not sure what will be a good cheap psu today. You dont too much power if its cpu only. Better ask people in tech forums. You will only have to pay couple thousand more than generic psus.
Thanks for detailed post.

I will go with SSD 128 GB for system plus 1 TB HDD for data storage.
Seasonic ECO Series 400-Watt Power Supply is available in market/online at 3.8 - 4K.

Thanks again.