• 10-15%

• 15-20%

• 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-75%

• >75%

Results are only viewable after voting.
For traders who have been daytrading for greater than a year, what are you yearly returns? Please vote. ..

Senior traders, please reply in comments that How much returns should be expected practically.

Subhadip

For traders who have been daytrading for greater than a year, what are you yearly returns? Please vote. ..

Senior traders, please reply in comments that How much returns should be expected practically.
Not a full time trader..so can not vote..but if doing good in Day trading...1 to 5 % per month consistantly

Return your Bank give 7% - 10% on your Investment. (Risk Free)
Return your Mutual Fund give 10% - 25% on your Investment. (With Risk)

As you said "How much returns should be expected practically."

The word "Practically" is very important in Day Trading. Almost all Day Traders misinformed with huge return. Like Double your Money in 1 Month.

So IMO the "Practical" return should be 20% to 40% Yearly for full time trader.

I think it will depend on your capital. If you have 1 lakh with the broker, then maybe you can expect 10k per month with moderate risk. If you have 1 crore, well, can't say. But if you have 25k in your trading account then ?? Again a question I can't honestly answer, but with daytrading, it would be better to first concentrate on having green days regularly, and later on look for some particular average amount (rather than percentage). I don't think that percentage is the right parameter to gauge daytrading profits.

Tlahuicole

Full time prop trader as well as trading my independent account. It depends on the risk you take per trade and the account size. Also you have to consider the drawdown allowed in case you are trading external capital.

Also, due to market liquidity, it is not possible to scale up after a certain level of capital is accumulated.

For instance, making 5% per month with 1 lakh is much easier compared to making 5% per month with 10 crore capital. As a pure day trader, it is possible to make around 5% return per month consistently. Have seen traders make more than this but I am not there yet. Since, I trade with less risk as the number of trades I take is more, I average around 1% per week in return. I usually make around 16 trades per week in my prop account and 9 trades in my own account.

Full time prop trader as well as trading my independent account. It depends on the risk you take per trade and the account size. Also you have to consider the drawdown allowed in case you are trading external capital.

Also, due to market liquidity, it is not possible to scale up after a certain level of capital is accumulated.

For instance, making 5% per month with 1 lakh is much easier compared to making 5% per month with 10 crore capital. As a pure day trader, it is possible to make around 5% return per month consistently. Have seen traders make more than this but I am not there yet. Since, I trade with less risk as the number of trades I take is more, I average around 1% per week in return. I usually make around 16 trades per week in my prop account and 9 trades in my own account.
Is there a way to DM you? Have a few quick questions to ask about prop trading scene in India & a few other things. Thanks.

onequorauser

As a prop trader do you trade in Indian markets or foreign?

Tlahuicole

Is there a way to DM you? Have a few quick questions to ask about prop trading scene in India & a few other things. Thanks.
As a prop trader do you trade in Indian markets or foreign?
@nd trader, you can PM me or ask the question here itself as per your convenience. @onequorauser, I trade in CME markets as a remote trader via prop firm. I trade with my own account in Indian markets.

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
Percentage of return depends on capital, experience, skill, and understanding of the market.
No one can except uniform income from trading like a salaried person. In trading return also depends on the market. Usually, traders make more in trending or volatile market.

The market is dynamic in nature sometimes it gives us more opportunity for bigger profits for trend follower for prolonged times. Sometimes it stuck in difficult ranges or slow grinding trend, then it creates more opportunity for option writers.
Different traders find different states of market easier/difficult to trade depending on their system and psychology.

Overall never compare/try to copy another trader's return, bcoz knowledge, intelligence, experience, psychology, risk management, position size management, capital all vary from person to person and the hence the overall output.

It is easy to make the higher percentage of return on lower capital 5-10 lakh or so. Real test comes when capital goes beyond 50-70 lakhs or few crore or psychological limit of the trader real test.

Just for info, as a full-time day trader, my average return on last 7 years averages approx 240%. Last year I got 220%
It becomes harder to hardest to maintain the same average high return as before as capital increased beyond the psychological limit of the trader.
People try to shift to safer trades when capital is increased and it requires new innovative ideas, finding new opportunities to maintain the similar high return with safer trades. So trading is never an easy job.

When u r experienced and capital increased, u try to concentrate on limited scripts and much more detailed analysis to find better trades - safer trades - few jackpots...

Trading is a journey.....It is also dynamic in nature like returns.. Even most successful traders always have good phases and bad phases in between average return phases...

Positive return must be the first goal,
next to beat the FD+Inflation+All type of trading cost,
next increase of capital slowly,
next remove some extra profit for day to day expense...
So full-time trading is long way to go...
U must have some backup to live at least 5-7 years for peaceful trading in initial years...B4 u think of any meaningful return for the living...

So return of full-time trader may be a misleading topic, here greed comes first. :p And we know greed and fear are two enemies of traders..

Why I write up such a long post, I know some beginners will be greedy from the post of returns of successful traders here.
Always consider the total capital used and experience in years of trading while considering the percentage of return.

Last edited: