Day Trading Stocks & Futures

very nice story :pompus::DD:DD:DD aise karte he trading :pompus::DD:DD:DD

A professional sports gambler used analytics to turn a $700,000 loan into more than $300 million.

This is the wild story of Matthew Benham.

1) Let's start with some history...

Matthew Benham graduated from the world-renowned University of Oxford in 1989 with a degree in Physics.

He spent the next 12 years working in finance, eventually being named a VP at Bank of America.

But in 2001, he decided to change careers.

2) After leaving Bank of America in 2001, Matthew Benham joined sports gambling company Premier Bet.

His job was to help develop predictive gambling models based on analytics.

The best part?

Benham learned under one of the most successful gamblers in the world — Tony Bloom.

3) After only a couple years, Matthew Benham and Tony Bloom had a falling out.

The exact reason why isn't clear, but by the time Benham left Premier Bet in 2003, the fire was already lit.

He wasn’t going back to investment banking.

He was a professional sports gambler now.

4) Matthew Benham went on to win millions of dollars gambling on sports, but in 2004, he set up his own betting syndicate — Smartodds.

The idea was simple:

Benham consulted clients using the same algorithms, statistics & data research that made him a successful sports gambler.

5) Smartodds became a massive success, and Matthew Benham now also owns Matchbook, a popular sports betting exchange.

Even better?

With financial freedom, Benham was able to pursue his other passion — Brentford FC.

6) Attending his first game at 11 years old, Matthew Benham has been a lifelong fan of Brentford FC.

So when the club faced financial trouble in 2007, Benham stepped up.

He provided a $700,000 loan so that Brentford supporters could purchase the team.

But there was a catch…

7) When Matthew Benham provided the $700,000 loan, he had the option to purchase the club should the fans choose not to repay the loan.

In 2012, the fans declined & Benham became the owner of his childhood team.

The interesting part?

He decided to play "Moneyball."

8) Matthew Benham spent almost $10 million on a smaller club in Denmark — FC Midtjylland — to test his analytical concepts.

The ideas that worked, he used at Brentford FC.

The ideas that didn't, he threw in the trash.

9) Benham fired staff members, bringing in more analytically-minded people that lacked traditional experience.

The club also stopped caring about wins & losses.

Instead, they developed a set of key performance indicators that determined if they were making progress or not.

10) For example, Brentford FC started to look more closely at “expected goals” rather than how many goals a player actually scored.

Their theory?

In a low-scoring sport that is skewed by randomness & luck, the quality & quantity of chances created during a match mattered more.

11) Brentford's most drastic move?

While the top clubs in the world were investing millions of dollars in their youth academies, Brentford decided to eliminate theirs completely.

Instead, they relied on a “B team” of 17-to-20-yr-olds that were rendered useless by other clubs.

12) Why?

Because Brentford believed you had to give a young player at least 35 games before determining his value.

But the richest clubs in the world didn’t have the time, patience, or appropriate infrastructure to do that.

As a small club willing to experiment, Brentford did.

13) This allowed them to find undervalued players, or market inefficiencies, that could come in, help the club win & be sold for record profits.

14) The results weren’t immediate, but now a decade later, they have paid off.

After winning the Championship Play-Off Final last weekend, Brentford FC has completed its ascent from the fourth tier of English football to the Premier League.

The best part?

It's worth $300M+.

15) The true financial impact of Premier League promotion depends on how long Brentford can stay in England’s top league.

If they get relegated after 1 year, they'll make ~$300M.

If they can stay up for a 2nd year, they'll make $400M+.

The longer they stay, the more they make.

16) In a sport that has historically refused the analytical revolution, Matthew Benham decided to shake things up.

He saved his childhood team from bankruptcy, used his experience in analytics to create a competitive advantage & turned a $700k loan into $300M+.

That's amazing.

View attachment 46217
Patience is the best virtue.

mohan.sic

All SEBI is revision in margins to through out samll players and help HNI,FII, Only rich .
To make them more rich.
Many small investors/ Traders during last 6 months. They were going to become threat for monopoly players in market as they were contributing to hold market levels and individual stocks.
SEBI smartly bend rules in name of high volatility.
In effect, come September 1, the upfront margin requirement will double from current levels, which market participants are staring at, as it might further dent trading volumes. Sebi is making stockbrokers not only calculate margins based on the end-of-the-day position, but also on intraday peak position.
Unquote
For more details.

https://m.economictimes.com/markets...s-more-than-equities/articleshow/82059774.cms

I am surprised all you experienced traders are going with these opinions...
I have just saw a youtube video posted here for few mts ...such crap opinions in those videos given by dumb fellows who cant understand the rules.

I am surprised all you experienced traders are going with these opinions...
I have just saw a youtube video posted here for few mts ...such crap opinions in those videos given by dumb fellows who cant understand the rules.
Yeah, Too much margin is very risky against outlier events for those who are using leverage too much. Intraday positions can become overnight. Intraday stop at 0.5% in a stock can become 5% overnight very easily if you are unlucky and this can happen to multiple positions if market tanked. So often broker/even exchange issues happen when market tanks so its not as unlikely as it seems.

I am sort of thankful for this rule as i did not realize this last year when i finally started proper trading and rule added constraint that forced me to fix system and use lower leverage. Still trading with 4-5x leverage now, but once capital grows enough i will cut it down to below 2x.

Still, if you did not use full leverage, then high margin allowed keeping less money with brokers which was nice but that too is catch 22 as low margin + good broker keeps money safer for broker. But now much more important to use large profitable broker and Z is now very very clearly no 1 for traders.

mohan.sic

Its not abt too much margin or too less margin. Exchange has some norms for margins and how and to what extent leverage is allowed on products.
But brokers and traders took advantage of loop hole in rule and providing/ using excess leverage and now these new sebi rules will restrict that exploitation of system done by both brokers and traders.

Margins or leverage provided by brokers or used by traders should comply with what exchange has allowed for.
But brokers introduce new products to exploit the loop holes and traders got used to it. They think as if excess leverage is their trading right.

Now the regulators have focused on loop hole exploitations to bring in a reality check.
But as most traders dont live in reality they are thinking SEBI is targeting retailers or something like sebi has brought in something new from mars.

Last edited:
I have been using Linux (ubuntu) on and off for 6 months alongside Windows 10. I haven't needed any Windows specific programs / apps so far, so was thinking of doing away with Windows.

Will it be too inconvenient if I delete Windows altogether?
Hardware acceleration is not available on Linux versions of web browsers. The browser does not use gpu to play you tube videos for instance causing higher CPU usage, especially HD videos.
So that's an issue with completely switching to Linux

Found some time over the weekend to look it over... Just sharing here as a general FYI and if I am wrong please correct me.. As Bullet sir said, the limit is indeed extended... I was asking from last FY or current AY pov, from ITR filing perspective... So for that the turnover limit is 5cr... there was a petition by trading community to FM to withdraw the 6% profit criteria, but I have found nothing on it, so I am guessing that it is still in force... ITR4 can be filed baring some exceptions, major ones being total income cap of 50 lakh and turnover cap of 2 cr... I had filed ITR3 BB sir, but did not do audit last AY because I escaped both turnover and profit criteria... mera toh clear ho gaya thha ITR...