Day Trading Stocks & Futures

Is this NF or BNF ? How much quantity you are trading with 10 lakh capital ?
All trades in Nifty -- Options (traded weekly initially, shifted to monthly from last 3 months)

Trade Quantity = (1% of capital / initial risk in trade)
If in DD, risk per trade reduced to 0.50% of capital.

Being discretionary trader, i rarely take full SL.
After started trading in options, having flexibility to make multiple re-entries as trading costs are low.

Last edited:

lemondew

Being a discretionary trader also you had a 21% drawdown. I have another friend who does discretion and he also says drawdowns are inevitable. Can you give a time frame like in how many trading days you will be certainly profitable. For mechanical trading i can safely say being profitable every day week or month is amyth and those claiming ths same are quacks. One can make very high returns like the one you have posted without being profitable every month in mechanical trading :DD

All trades in Nifty -- Options (traded weekly initially, shifted to monthly from last 3 months)

Trade Quantity = (1% of capital / initial risk in trade)
If in DD, risk per trade reduced to 0.50% of capital.

Being discretionary trader, i rarely take full SL.
After started trading in options, having flexibility to make multiple re-entries as trading costs are low.

ncube

Being a discretionary trader also you had a 21% drawdown. I have another friend who does discretion and he also says drawdowns are inevitable. Can you give a time frame like in how many trading days you will be certainly profitable. For mechanical trading i can safely say being profitable every day week or month is amyth and those claiming ths same are quacks. One can make very high returns like the one you have posted without being profitable every month in mechanical trading :DD
I would say draw-downs are inevitable be it discretionary or mechanical. In fact discretionary is more difficult as it involves additional effort of controlling emotions during trading and hence very few succeed in it over the long term and it is very difficult to scale up unless one incorporates some amount of mechanical rules. I think 60% returns on a 10L capital day trading is quite achievable, else there is no point day trading...as one need to consider the lost opportunity of monthly salary from a regular job...:)

Ok.. I did not know about your trading style..btw its impressive, what I liked most is you have given a realistic picture of the expected returns for a typical trading strategy if one follows in the current market condition without taking undue risks...:)

Unfortunately this is lowest ROI in last 4 years. my wife traded 2015, 2016, 2017 till mid of 2018. with avg ROI per year around 77%. So far there is no compounding, as we withdrawn profits time to time.

In coming days, we will move to mechanical as we realized biggest hurdle with discretionary is scaling up!
whats the use of ROI 100-200% if trade quantity is few ten's of lots.

Even in case of mechanical trading, you will never know how long current DD may go on right?
It may surpass historical DD also. i think these are problems faced by every type of trader, they tackle in different ways.

Please check this one I could write with what little i know. Since it will throw lot of results, You can add additional filter like volume. if you ask [email protected] they too will help you.

View attachment 38732

Edit:not getting the first time condition. :(
thanks . i tried this code already. but it shows the close that are crossing above 30 days 50SMA close. but thats not what I wanted. I just want the stocks that are closing above 50MA for the first time in the last 30 days