Day Trading Stocks & Futures

soft_trader

Jumped because it makes US exports more competitive. So greenback will rally.
But earlier during QE I think USD depreciated.
And also I don't understand how export will become more competitive when currency is stronger. Weaker currency is better for exporters and strong currency better for importers. Trump was also pushing for a rate cut and a weaker greenback.

I think market expected 0.50% rate cut, that's why it rallied.

Riskyman

But earlier during QE I think USD depreciated.
And also I don't understand how export will become more competitive when currency is stronger. Weaker currency is better for exporters and strong currency better for importers. Trump was also pushing for a rate cut and a weaker greenback.

I think market expected 0.50% rate cut, that's why it rallied.
That was QE i.e money printing in full flow.

Lower rates means lower cost of borrowings for manufacturers/exporters. Lower cost of borrowing means they have an an edge to compete in the international markets.

Edit: This looks more like a pre-emptive measure i.e take a crocin before you have fever. Fever being talks with chinese failing yet again.
Also, I dont think the USD strength has much to do with the rate cut as such. If anything it has to do with the mess in Europe

Last edited:

Riskyman

Ashok Leyland posts April-June conslidated net Rs 274.96 Crore
Hinduja Group flagship Ashok Leyland has recorded consolidated net profit for the April-June 2019 period at Rs 274.96 crore.

The heavy commercial vehicle major clocked consolidated net profit at Rs 463.78 crore during the same period last fiscal.
For the financial year ending March 31, 2019, consolidated net profit was at Rs 2,194.60 crore. Total income for the April-June quarter was at Rs 6,612.42 crore as against Rs 7,193.79 crore registered year ago.

For the full year ending March 31, 2019, total income of the company was at Rs 33,324.90 crore.

Commenting on the financial performance, company Chairman Dheeraj G Hinduja said "While the industry has witnessed a decline in volume of 17 per cent, Ashok Leyland's market share has grown by 4 per cent."

"Our EBITDA at 9.4 per cent despite decline in revenues signifies efficient cost management in the company. We are well on course to introduce BSVI vehicles and will be seeding vehicles shortly," he said.

Despite a drop in the total industry volume by five per cent, he said the company's light commercial vehicle business continues to do very well and posted a 12 per cent growth. Ashok Leyland Ltd Chief Financial Officer and Whole Time Director Gopal Mahadevan said "With signs of slower demand, we are closely watching developments in the industry."

In another notification to stock exchanges, Ashok Leyland said the Board of Directors have approved to offer or invite subscriptions for bonds, redeemable non-convertible debentures, in one or more tranches aggregating up to Rs 600 crore subject to approval of the shareholders.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/b...-conslidated-net-rs-274-96-crore-4274681.html

TraderRavi

low risk profile
The two words from Jerome Powell that rocked the financial markets

KEY POINTS
  • Fed Chairman Jerome Powell sends the market reeling after he says the Fed’s first rate cut in a decade does not mean policymakers will follow up with an aggressive rate-reducing regime.

• Powell calls the cut a “midcycle adjustment” and describes it as the latest move in a policy transition that started with its last hike — at the end of last year.

• The markets had been widely expecting a very dovish Fed and instead heard a more hawkish commentary from Powell.

Stocks cratered, the dollar hit a more than two-year high and bond yields ripped higher after Fed Chairman Jerome Powell suggested that policymakers were not embarking on a new cycle of rate cutting, after it trimmed the fed funds rate by a quarter point Wednesday.

Markets have been on tenterhooks, once expecting three rate hikes this year, and then an easy Fed policy stance, even as the economy has been showing signs of improvement. But the Fed has been facing the unusual task of explaining why it was cutting rates in the face of stronger economic data.

Traders said there was disappointment with the Fed’s statement, which was perceived more as neutral than dovish, but when Powell later said during a press briefing that the Fed’s action was a “midcycle adjustment to policy” that sent markets reeling.

“I think by that it means he doesn’t necessarily mean more cuts are coming, maybe not necessarily one off but not indicative of more aggressive cuts,” said Ben Jeffery, a fixed income strategist at BMO.

Powell later explained, during his press conference, that he meant that the Fed was not embarking on a long rate-cutting cycle, as in a recession. He also described a Fed policy transition that began after it raised rates for the last time in December, then paused and then moved forward to cut rates by a quarter point. The fed funds rate range is now 2 to 2.25%.

“Let me be clear: What I said was it’s not the beginning of a long series of rate cuts,” Powell said. “I didn’t say it’s just one or anything like that. When you think about rate-cutting cycles, they go on for a long time and the committee’s not seeing that. Not seeing us in that place. You would do that if you saw real economic weakness and you thought that the federal funds rate needed to be cut a lot. That’s not what we’re seeing.”

The reaction from the bond market was one of confusion, and strategists were looking for Fed officials to clarify the message in coming days.

“It was a very confusing and muddled message, and I don’t think that Powell delivered clear direction for what the near term path of additional Fed easing will be, and I think that’s why the market reacted negatively,” said Mark Cabana, head of U.S. short rate strategy at Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

The Dow fell as much as 478 points and ended down 333 points in its worst day since May. The 2-year Treasury yield, most reflecting the Fed ’s policy, went on a wild ride to above 1.95% from a low of 1.79% before the Fed statement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/31/the...powell-that-rocked-the-financial-markets.html