Day Trading Stocks & Futures

yes read that now in zerodha site, but even then its a great deal.. If I bring equal amount of cash or equivalent like liq bees, we get the other 50% at no cost..right ?

So if I borrow a loan of 18 laks at 15% from outside and bring cash to zerodha and the other 18 lakhs coll margin available in zerodha against pledge without interest.. I can trade with 36 lak capital at cost of cap 7.5% ..is this correct ?
Many brokers allow you trade with zero cash balance... Your share worth is 20 Lakhs..after haircut as per exchange norms, you are getting 17L out of pledged stocks ..now you can trade using entire 17L for intraday cash, f&o...even you can initiate trades on positional F&O...Check with samco..

Few broker like traderjini, need about 20% margin from you as cash...

No broker can charge you interest for pldeging of shares..

No no MM sir... many do... ICICI, Indiabulls Dhani, kotak at least I know personally that these charge...
Interest can be charged only on debt balance..not on pledged stocks value...

Say stock worth is 1 L..80k is available cash after pledge after haircut..now you are creating f&o position and carryforrwarding worth of 1 L, then balance amount of 20k is actually broker money..so he can charge you interest on 20k..not on 80k or 1L

if you are trading intraday, using only 80k cash of pledged shares for trading...and you dont keep any balance in cash, ...and your MTM is minus, that's also debt balance..broker can charge you interest for that debt balance...

So whenever we do intraday using pledged cash, better to keep 20-30% of cash in broker account to avoid/observe intraday MTM

mohan.sic

Many brokers allow you trade with zero cash balance... Your share worth is 20 Lakhs..after haircut as per exchange norms, you are getting 17L out of pledged stocks ..now you can trade using entire 17L for intraday cash, f&o...even you can initiate trades on positional F&O...Check with samco..

Few broker like traderjini, need about 20% margin from you as cash...

No broker can charge you interest for pldeging of shares..

1.Dont get confused between margin against shares/leveraged trading and pledge.
2. You are referring to margin against share, or trading on leverage but even that no broker can allow without charging interest.

1.Dont get confused between margin against shares/leveraged trading and pledge.
2. You are referring to margin against share, or trading on leverage but even that no broker can allow without charging interest.
Well, marimuthu13 is right. E.g with zerodha, you do not need single penny as cash if you pledge liquidbees as collateral. Liquidbees is considers as cash equivalent with many brokers. Sebi demands 50-50 rule when it comes to pledging of stocks but who cares in this competitive business model , brokers have their own funds with zero interest.

mohan.sic

Well, marimuthu13 is right. E.g with zerodha, you do not need single penny as cash if you pledge liquidbees as collateral. Liquidbees is considers as cash equivalent with many brokers. Sebi demands 50-50 rule when it comes to pledging of stocks but who cares in this competitive business model , brokers have their own funds with zero interest.
please refer below -

Last edited:

mohan.sic

No no MM sir... many do... ICICI, Indiabulls Dhani, kotak at least I know personally that these charge...

Every broker will charge interest if we use their funds, its not that they have excess funds and giving us interest free. This is for sure.:)

But what you all noticed with zerodha is also correct as follows if my understanding is correct -

Basically what you guys are referring here is not a stock pledge with broker to get trading exposure/limits. In this system the stock pledge is done with Depository and no real funds are involved to the extent of pledge and margin used. So if I pledge shares and get 10 lakhs collateral margin, it is a margin I got against my pledge from and allowed by ndsl/cdsl but not from my broker. Here broker funds are not involved.

Now when I want to buy a Nifty future at 1.5 lakh margin, as per rule, I can use 75 k from my pledge margin and other 75 k I must bring in cash.
So for the first 75k anyway the broker cannot charge interest as it leverage allowed by depository against our stock and the second 75k we must bring in cash and if we have shortfall in this, the broker adjusts the shortfall amount and will charge interest for using that broker funds.

Zerodha is not charging interest here for first 50% because it is not the party providing that 50% margin. And it charges interest in name of late fee at 18% for any shortfall funds in the balance 50% which clients must bring. So zerodha is not doing any free interest thing here.

Also we cannot trade all position's using this pledge margin. Equity delivery and options buying cannot happen under this. This is for equity intraday, futures and options writing intraday or carry forward . Because equity bought by a party is sold by another and amount must be settled in equity delivery segment. So a exposure allowed by depository against my stock wont work as cash that has to be paid by eod. Since fno are limited period contracts and just p/l settled the product is feasible in this segment.

Last edited: