Datafeed Vendor Comparison

mastermind007

I had one full year of GDFL subscription in 2017. Trust me. The data has issues during live market and the issues disappear later in the day during backfill wondering what went with strategy during market hours. This happens intermittently but can cost you huge at times. I had put lots of log to verify the same. I had even reported to GDFL. Infact after paying for one full year subscription plan, I stopped using it after 6 months. Why pay so much if they offer same quality data that other providers like true data, share guru offer in less cost. Even better to use free open source like RTD to pull data from nest for intraday.
Yes, I have experienced it too. Even had taken one video to report it to GDFL but they were (how shall I say) less-than-enthusiastic.

I even got people from a big algo platform company involved but nothing worthwhile happened.

Either it is a deliberate (which makes it a mini scam) or technical issue (in sufficient hardware to support all connected clients)

99% of all IT support engineers in all of these companies only know one solution to all problems .... Uninstall & Download again and Re-install.

Any customer who wants different support is politely (or rudely) shown the exit door.

mastermind007

I think no one can beat IB in US/Europe - Realtime data for Amibroker.
Something very strong and affordable is much needed for Indian retailers. Please do keep us posted.
Thats coz they are not dealing with too many customers from India yet. If they do, they will start beating themselves up.... :)

Yes, I have experienced it too. Even had taken one video to report it to GDFL but they were (how shall I say) less-than-enthusiastic.

I even got people from a big algo platform company involved but nothing worthwhile happened.

Either it is a deliberate (which makes it a mini scam) or technical issue (in sufficient hardware to support all connected clients)

99% of all IT support engineers in all of these companies only know one solution to all problems .... Uninstall & Download again and Re-install.

Any customer who wants different support is politely (or rudely) shown the exit door.
Thanks for this info, that gave me a pointer to start first trying with utilities from the forum.

TradeOptions

I had one full year of GDFL subscription in 2017. Trust me. The data has issues during live market and the issues disappear later in the day during backfill wondering what went with strategy during market hours. This happens intermittently but can cost you huge at times. I had put lots of log to verify the same. I had even reported to GDFL. Infact after paying for one full year subscription plan, I stopped using it after 6 months. Why pay so much if they offer same quality data that other providers like true data, share guru offer in less cost. Even better to use free open source like RTD to pull data from nest for intraday.
Thanks for sharing your experience @iTrade
It is disappointing to know that GFDL faces such issues. And it is disturbing that the Real Time and backfilled data will have differences, which will create a lot of problem for system traders ! Do you mind telling if you did this testing for NSE Stocks or for Futures segment ?

Best Regards

iTrade

It is disappointing to know that GFDL faces such issues. And it is disturbing that the Real Time and backfilled data will have differences, which will create a lot of problem for system traders ! Do you mind telling if you did this testing for NSE Stocks or for Futures segment ?

Best Regards
It was NSE equity segment. It was not testing but live trading.

mastermind007

Best Regards
Sir

It happens for both cash segment as well as NFO. These are some of the scenarios that I had observed

1) Data Gaps (Most common....) Supposing you were running a chart of XYZ scrip (cash or futures).. Data started streaming in properly at 9:15 AM. You watched live candle dance for a while and then got distracted. Since you had set up an algo system, you'd think you can relax. Without any warning or popup, live streaming would suddenly stop at 10:13 AM and resume again at say 10:47 AM. On screen you can see that 10:47 candle is adjacent to 10:13 candle. Same thing is also confirmed in Quote Editor. You call up customer service. If you are lucky, he connects immediately and before you realize what he is upto, he shuts down Amibroker, goes to his software and clicks on manual backfill. If data gets resynched, your chart will appear with the error now no longer visible.

From tech support and GDFL POV, they've resolved the reported problem. From trading POV, problem has been obfuscated and you have missed out on the trade and instead of trading day it is going to yet-another-expense-only day. This problem is more acute if you are using Amibroker. If your strategy was such that there was a trade entry at, say, 10:30 AM, Amibroker will happily show trade entry arrow at 10:30 AM. But since your wall clocks shows it at 10:55 AM, you are not sure whether you should take the trade or not. Whole idea of writing ego to avoid emotions in trading go down the drain...

2) Spurious data.... Sometimes High or Low reported on live stream get exaggerated. AFL may sense a fast move and trigger trade entry or trade exit. Few minutes later, back fill will occur and overwrite the exaggeration away. If AFL had sent trade entry, it would now be a phantom. If AFL had sent exit, it would be premature.

Last edited:

TradeOptions

It was NSE equity segment. It was not testing but live trading.

Sir

It happens for both cash segment as well as NFO. These are some of the scenarios that I had observed

1) Data Gaps (Most common....) Supposing you were running a chart of XYZ scrip (cash or futures).. Data started streaming in properly at 9:15 AM. You watched live candle dance for a while and then got distracted. Since you had set up an algo system, you'd think you can relax. Without any warning or popup, live streaming would suddenly stop at 10:13 AM and resume again at say 10:47 AM. On screen you can see that 10:47 candle is adjacent to 10:13 candle. Same thing is also confirmed in Quote Editor. You call up customer service. If you are lucky, he connects immediately and before you realize what he is upto, he shuts down Amibroker, goes to his software and clicks on manual backfill. If data gets resynched, your chart will appear with the error now no longer visible.

From tech support and GDFL POV, they've resolved the reported problem. From trading POV, problem has been obfuscated and you have missed out on the trade and instead of trading day it is going to yet-another-expense-only day. This problem is more acute if you are using Amibroker. If your strategy was such that there was a trade entry at, say, 10:30 AM, Amibroker will happily show trade entry arrow at 10:30 AM. But since your wall clocks shows it at 10:55 AM, you are not sure whether you should take the trade or not. Whole idea of writing ego to avoid emotions in trading go down the drain...

2) Spurious data.... Sometimes High or Low reported on live stream get exaggerated. AFL may sense a fast move and trigger trade entry or trade exit. Few minutes later, back fill will occur and overwrite the exaggeration away. If AFL had sent trade entry, it would now be a phantom. If AFL had sent exit, it would be premature.
guys this is Really Shocking !
GFDL datafeed is not cheap by any means, they are quite expensive compared with most other Indian Data Vendors and yet they deliver such data service !

iTrade

guys this is Really Shocking !
GFDL datafeed is not cheap by any means, they are quite expensive compared with most other Indian Data Vendors and yet they deliver such data service !
I have attached proof as well. They claim its fixed. But the problem continued to appear all the time i was using it. I wasted 22k with yearly subscription. They dont give monthly subscription plan if you are running on VM(virtual machine). I literally stopped using it after 6 months.

Attachments

TradeOptions

I have attached proof as well. They claim its fixed. But the problem continued to appear all the time i was using it. I wasted 22k with yearly subscription. They dont give monthly subscription plan if you are running on VM(virtual machine). I literally stopped using it after 6 months.
@iTrade that snapshot proves your point clearly. And it is a very wrong practice from their part that they tie you down to 1 year subscription if you want to use it on VPS. Many guys would have felt cheated after taking the yearly subscriptions, just like you, as they cannot afford to use such data feed for live automated trading. Thanks for the eye opener bro, otherwise many guys here consider that GFDL is the best data source out there for the Indian Traders.

Best regards

TradeOptions

Keep your fingers crossed.

Plans for launching a brand new data vendor in India are already conceived and if all goes well, it will be launched by May 2019.
Not at much liberty to say anything beyond this. So, pls do not ask any questions.

For those of you who need to see disclaimers in this kind of posts to be able to sleep easy:
I am neither personally involved in it nor do I have any any commercial interest in the product.
@mastermind007 I do not want you to expose all the details, but since SierraCharts is also about to start the datafeed for Indian Markets, could you please atleast tell, if this is the SAME vendor or if this vendor is not linked with the SierraCharts Team ?

If they are about to launch in May 2019, then they should start posting about it "asking for feature requests, what traders really want, etc." now, or they plan to advertise only after it has started ? Please share any little things that you could share.

Or otherwise give us the HINT, what we should put into the GOOGLE search box for finding out more about this new vendor. :)

Thanks and regards