Datafeed Vendor Comparison

bpr

Cost Analysis of Legal Vendor

Guys there is a lot of hue and cry as to exchanges NSE/MCX are charging high for data fees. I tend to agree but lets do some basic calculation.

Lets take a single segment FNO the most popular

For tick by tick data for NFO segment NSE charges 38.50 lakh per year to the vendor .(for software devlopment segment)
Also per user they charge Rs900 pm.

If I am data vendor I will do the pricing in such a way that the NSE cost and my own cost are separate and transparent to end customer.

Lets say the data vendor charges 2100 pm(own cost) + 900 (NSE cost)
i.e 3000 pm to the end user.

If they acquire 1000 customers which is a very conservative figure.

their income 2100 * 1000 = 21 lakh per month
Annually 21*12 = 252 lakh per Annum

Heck I am not even considering that NSE gives discount for the first 300 customers i.e the 900 pm is not charged. So that is a additional benefit of 300*900*12 = 32.40 lakh per year to the broker.

So what is the cost to the datavendor
= One time Initial cost of setting up the business , setting of server etc and integrating the datafeed to its own platform blah blah ( put any figure say 50 lakh/75 lakh) With the advancement of new tech this cost will reduce IMO, mind you this is one time cost
+
Recurring cost of NSE fees i.e 40 lakh per Annum

+ Recurring cost of Data Servers and Maintenance (Put some figure here)

+
Recurring cost of Service /Support (Put some figure here)

WoW Looks to me if somebody seriously get into this business he will be profitable in 6 months let alone 12 months

If you think 1000 is huge number lets do the calculation for 500 customers and talk.

Instead what we are getting now!! Level 1 data which is cost wise 20 lakh per year+ 360 pm per user and then vendors are giving symbol limitation 1 symbol at a time and 5 symbol at a time and 200 symbol at a time and what not non sense.
Charging generally from 900 pm to 3000 pm ....

Ok enough rant. you be the judge.:mad:

Last edited:

TradeOptions

Can somebody confirm what level of data esignal provides for NSE/NFO?
Level1/Level2/Level3 or tick by tick?

If eSignal does not provide tick by tick then whoever will get into this business will virtually have monopoly till the second player gets into the game.
eSignal does provides tick by tick data, although I cannot say that they are providing every single trade tick, or doing some sort of combining of multiple trade ticks into one, for saving the bandwidth etc. For nifty mostly there is one tick per second, but sometimes there are multiple ticks in one second as well.

I am pretty sure they do not provide Level 3 yet.