Data for Arms Index

Guys,

anyone here looking at ARMS Index? would like to know where do you get the data from? appreciate if someone can share the historical data if it is readily available.

Thanks,

Traderji

Super Moderator
The Arms Index, also known as TRIN, an acronym for TRading INdex, was developed in 1967 by Richard Arms. It is a volume-based indicator, which determines market strength and breadth by analyzing the relationship between advancing and declining issues and their respective volume; it is used to measure intra-day market supply and demand, and it can be applied over short or longer time periods.

To calculate the Arms Index you need the following data:

1) advancing issues

2) declining issues

3) advancing volume

4) declining volume

As far as I know none of the data service providers in India provide this data. (Please correct me if I am wrong and provide me the source of this data provider).

The Arms Index is calculated using the following formula:

(# of advancing issues / # of declining issues)
-------------------------------------------
(advancing volume/declining volume)

Interpretation

The Arms Index is primarily a short-term trading tool. The Index shows whether volume is flowing into advancing or declining stocks. If more volume is associated with advancing stocks than declining stocks, the Arms Index will be less than 1.0; if more volume is associated with declining stocks, the Index will be greater than 1.0.

The Index is usually smoothed with a moving average. I suggest using a 4-day moving average for short-term analysis, a 21-day moving average for intermediate-term, and a 55-day moving average for longer-term analysis.

Normally, the Arms Index is considered bullish when it is below 1.0 and bearish when it is above 1.0. However, the Index seems to work most effectively as an overbought/oversold indicator. When the indicator drops to extremely overbought levels, it is foretelling a selling opportunity. When it rises to extremely oversold levels, a buying opportunity is approaching.

sbn021 said:
Guys,

anyone here looking at ARMS Index? would like to know where do you get the data from? appreciate if someone can share the historical data if it is readily available.

Thanks,
I am building a stock charting website (nowhere near complete at the moment) and have built a quotes database for the charts. I don't have TRIN data as such but I do have advances, declines, adv volume & dec volume data (from which TRIN is derived). If you just need to look at TRIN & other breadth charts then you view on my incomplete website here: NSE Breadth Charts

NOTE: The charts are as of 11-04-2005, I will try and update them as regularly as possible. Once the website is built they will be updated daily in the evening.

--SwingTrader

Hi Swing Trader,

Your site looks good. Are you coming out with a live intra-day charting service? Which would be great.

Neal said:
Hi Swing Trader,

Your site looks good. Are you coming out with a live intra-day charting service? Which would be great.
:) I don't think I can currently afford the infrastructure required to build a realtime/live intraday charting service. Also, the website I am setting up is in a shared hosting setup, so limited things can be done.

My plan is to build a website focused on end-of-day charting & technical scans (fundamental scans to come later).

--SwingTrader

Guys,

Thanks for all this valuable info. i'd been searching this for sometime now. Now i know, i should be posting my queries here before looking for things on my own.

Swing: the site looks good. when are you formally launching it? Keep us all posted. Also, let us know if we can help you out with anything for development of the site.

Regards,