Cyber Security

Einstein

Einstein,
how about having a small challenge between us ?

lets pick 100 consecutive words from a write-up of 1000 words. both of us will encrypt these 100 words using proprietary encryption technique or if using standard softwares not more than 32-bit encryption and lets see in how many days we can break the code ?
we will provide our algorithm/strategy after we submit the decrypted text.

That's the easiest i could think of.
haha that is funny, because if you had asked me this 15 years back I might be very much interested not now, bty I use AES-twofish-Serpent encryption algorith which noteven NSA can break so just forget it kid.

by the way, if you're looking for challenge look for who said this.
"Even an idiot gets to be young once" :thumb:

DanPickUp

@Einstein

Interesting Encryption you mentioned. Here a nice article for those who are not very familiar with encryption:

Cryptography for an average Joe

Any person who uses PC and Internet must have heard about logins and passwords. The carefree time of early PCs is never coming back. There are passwords for everything - websites, forums, chats, e-mail, newspaper subscriptions - the list goes on and on. Plus, there are credit card numbers, PIN codes, SSN, bank account numbers and other information. To remember all that, you have to have an exceptional memory. Otherwise, this all has to be written down somewhere. But where? A napkin? A piece of paper? On the back page of last month's report? But what if you have more numbers, like other people's Social Security or bank account numbers. You've got to protect this data, otherwise, it can be easily stolen. Clearly, you need to be able to create encrypted records that can not be deciphered by a hacker or a thief even if they somehow get their hands of these documents.

http://www.cp-lab.com/cryptography.html

hauler

haha that is funny, because if you had asked me this 15 years back I might be very much interested not now, bty I use AES-twofish-Serpent encryption algorith which noteven NSA can break so just forget it kid.

by the way, if you're looking for challenge look for who said this.
"Even an idiot gets to be young once" :thumb:
Ok, then i hope you are feeling younger today.

I am not a kid either, but still why would you need such an encryption for ? I thought these are either for a big commercial enterprise or a good cyber-criminal. For a normal PC user its clearly a overkill.
As for NSA, they are supposed to have already moved to quantum-crypto, so Don't be sure about a serpent algo not being cracked - but yeah then you need to be something to get attention of NSA, just showing your age on internet forums by name dropping some algorithms would not be good enough.

P.s. May be you can stop using words like "Kids"or "idiots", You might be good at googling. I did not challenge you to break something complicated - I allowed you to use any software, must say you cannot even understand basic things. If you cannot comprehend what others are speaking then you could have just kept quiet rather than taunting at others.

Last edited:

DanPickUp

@Hauler

I am not good at encryption. What would you recommend for any starter: I mean, what kind of encryption program would be easy of use for a starter and what would be the next level?

hauler

@Hauler

I am not good at encryption. What would you recommend for any starter: I mean, what kind of encryption program would be easy of use for a starter and what would be the next level?
Dan,
What would like to use it for ? Is it for the data you store on your home pc ? your home network ? Or any website you own ? or your small office network ?

The question are important because each has its own requirement.

For a home-user worried about safety of his data either from stealing by some malware or in the event of disk/notebook being stolen - the best way to start will be using "truecrypt''.
http://www.truecrypt.org/

for communication inside your office, the minimum you can do is to start using your digital signature on all your emails - so that they can only be read by the guys sent to in the organization. Will avoid MIM (Man-in-Middle) snooping inside office.
For your home network, If you choose WEP as the security choose 128-bit as encryption, best is to use WPA2- PSK or WPA2-TKIP.

Last edited:

DanPickUp

Dan,
What would like to use it for ? Is it for the data you store on your home pc ? your home network ? Or any website you own ? or your small office network ?

The question are important because each has its own requirement.

For a home-user worried about safety of his data either from stealing by some malware or in the event of disk/notebook being stolen - the best way to start will be using "truecrypt''.
http://www.truecrypt.org/
If I now come up with the topic: Website, an other member may come up with the topic E-Mail or even small office network. You are right when you say: Each has its own requirement.

Do you have a link at hand which could give an over view about the different kind of requirements needed in general for each of the topics? So we can read in there and you not must write much about it, as this would be really time consuming.

hauler

If I now come up with the topic: Website, an other member may come up with the topic E-Mail or even small office network. You are right when you say: Each has its own requirement.

Do you have a link at hand which could give an over view about the different kind of requirements needed in general for each of the topics? So we can read in there and you not must write much about it, as this would be really time consuming.
Sorry don't know of a link to remember it. Let me google it and will share if it looks decent.
Till then read something interesting from way back in 1999 - yes NSA was then snooping too.
''How NSA access was built into Windows''
http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/5/5263/1.html

hauler

I quickly went through the thread, as I remembered that I had given such a link in a past post. Here it is again: https://prism-break.org/en/ If you have any other link, please post it.
Thanks a lot!!
Although I must admit that I don't worry too much about data-surveillance programs of the world because its extremely difficult to perfectly assess their capabilities against any technology that i use.
Also as i understand that if you want to be safe from these kind of programs, its better to use open technologies than any proprietary technologies where government has its reach to introduce backdoors. So, as i cannot avoid a proprietary router, i will at least use encryption/protocols in public domain like AES. similarly prefer truecrypt over bitlocker.
My limited knowledge is mostly to safeguard myself against data stealing. For anything else there is ''tor''.

Thanks a lot!!
Although I must admit that I don't worry too much about data-surveillance programs of the world because its extremely difficult to perfectly assess their capabilities against any technology that i use.
Also as i understand that if you want to be safe from these kind of programs, its better to use open technologies than any proprietary technologies where government has its reach to introduce backdoors. So, as i cannot avoid a proprietary router, i will at least use encryption/protocols in public domain like AES. similarly prefer truecrypt over bitlocker.
My limited knowledge is mostly to safeguard myself against data stealing. For anything else there is ''tor''.
Tor is fine for some parts of simple anonymous staying in the net, but it is not the perfect tool which any way not exists.

What ever very private information you send, even through Tor, must be encrypted. Did you ever hear about: Exit Nodes? Here a link to read in:

http://www.cs.kau.se/philwint/spoiled_onions/techreport.pdf