Credit Card

Hello Friends.

I am totally new to credit card, i have got the new credit card from
HDFC Bank with 15k monthly limit.

but i have some question in my mind. the first question is regarding
online payment.

I am very confused about online payment.. last day i paid my mobile bill
online. i just wrote my credit card no into their (Mobile co) website. and after that payment is credited to their(Mobile co.) account.?

I am thinking that HDFC Bank have to confirm that payment order from me?:confused:

Please Guide me about his matter. and please try to give more details on
Credit card Usage....

Thanks

Identity theft is becoming a bigger problem as more and more people are making the internet a bigger part of their lives. People who are new to the online medium often fall prey to ‘phishing’ or other internet identity theft schemes. In many cases the ‘phishing party’ uses your credit card to order goods for them selves, in other cases they will apply for credit cards, set up bank accounts, and take advantage of your good credit rating. Correcting these issues involves a lot of time energy and stress, so here are ten tips to help you from becoming a victim of identity theft.

Use a disposable email account. Keep your business or personal email account just for business or personal communication. If you are going to be making purchases online, joining newsgroups, or subscribing to mailing lists and ezines use a disposable email account. There are many online free accounts such as yahoo, hotmail or grail, and most of them can interface with popular email clients like outlook or outlook express. Use one of them for all of your shopping transactions.

Disguise your online identity. If your real name in Mary Smith try to avoid using email accounts with name like [email protected] when dealing with people you don’t know and trust. If you were born in 1972 don’t chose [email protected] as your email account.

Use different level passwords. Use one password for your personal information, use another for your business accounts and a third for your disposable email accounts or mailing lists you sign up for. Don’t use sequential passwords like password1 for personal use password2 for business, and password 3 for disposable accounts.

Use strong passwords. Don’t use your birthdates, year you were married, or your children’s birthdates. Avoid choosing passwords that consist entirely of letters or numbers. Also try to avoid using passwords that are actual words. The best passwords are mnemonic phrases like “my father ate three apples for breakfast”. Take the first letter of each word and convert the number into numbers and you end up with “mfa3a4b”.

Rotate your passwords. You should change your passwords every 6 to 12 months. If you suspect your passwords have been compromised change them as a safety precaution.

Use only one credit card for all of your online purchases. If any of your other credit cards have online transactions you know they are fraudulent. If you see offline purchases for your online credit card you also know they are fraudulent.

Use credit cards instead of debit cards. While many debit cards now offer online purchase protection it’s easier to dispute fraudulent charges than to recover debit card funds that have already been spent.

When you make purchases online make sure your transactions are secure. In the address bar you should see “https” and not “http”. There should also be small lock icon in your browser. If this is your first purchase from the company make sure the issuing company is someone you have heard of like Verisign, or Thawte.

Check a company’s privacy policy. When you make your first transaction make sure your check the privacy policy, look for logos from consumer groups like Trust-E and the better business bureau. Click the logos to make sure they are authentic.

Never open or fill out email requests for you to update you account or credit card settings via email. These are ‘phishing’ scams people use to try and secure your personal information. Many of them are growing increasingly sophisticated and go to great lengths to look exactly like the companies website using their exact logo.

pkjha30

Hi
TA Trader has given really good advice. I will add to this. On your credit card you will see the Card number printed in the reverse side and additional three digit number which is called CVV number( xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx XXX). this is used to validate any online transaction along with the month and year of validity. Do not give this number to anybody.. When you are purchasing and making payment through Credit card do not leave the sight of the card and see that nobody is noting down the numbers i.e. CVV number. Preferably you can note it down in safe place and mask it on the card.

Do not make mobile payment through credit card by online site or through SMS. This is currently the most unsecure way of doing transaction.

Always check your credit card transaction statement on their website and see if any unusal transaction is listed. Immediately call their helpline. If card is misplaced then also call them. they will block the card and issue a new card. Do not disclose your password to them. They will not ask for it since they do not need it. Only perticular they will ask is your date of birth and recent payment and purchase amount. They will confirm your name and card number from their screen. If they ask for password report to higher authority immediately.

Another tip is that when you subscribe to their website with a perticular card you get another card by reporting the original one as lost. The original one will be blocked but you have to access your website with the original number issued to you in the first instant. Even if someone is tracking your network he will not be able to place any order with the number used for website and with the new card number no one will be able to access your website even if password is stolen.You should access the website address given by their company by entering the full address in the address bar and not by clicking on some link in another website. Look for redirection which is used by phising websites and may include https:// to make it look genuine.

Do not give your card number on any website for any reason except for purchase. Do not purchase from unknown website. Website must be from well known company to place order.

Subscribe to their mobile alert and web alert for any transaction on your card even if you do it. Report suspicious transaction recorded in the statement immediately.

While using the card be always cautious else you may have to repent later. Its a convenience to be used prudently .

Thanks
Pankaj

Thanks Tatrader and Pankaj for your information on Credit card usage.

At present I have done only one transaction from my credit card.
and I am very confused about its working style, like bank paying money blindly !!

NOW I AM THINKING THAT CREDIT CARD IS NOT FOR ME…..
ITS VERY RISKY………….

If someone hack my credit card no and use it for online purchase
So what will happen? I have to pay that amount?

OR I HAVE TO DO CASE FOR THIS FRAUD?????

pkjha30

VICKY_SEEKINGINR said:
Thanks Tatrader and Pankaj for your information on Credit card usage.

At present I have done only one transaction from my credit card.
and I am very confused about its working style, like bank paying money blindly !!

NOW I AM THINKING THAT CREDIT CARD IS NOT FOR ME..
ITS VERY RISKY.

If someone hack my credit card no and use it for online purchase
So what will happen? I have to pay that amount?

OR I HAVE TO DO CASE FOR THIS FRAUD?????
In case there is online fraud on your card then you can repudiate the claim and write to the credit card company as soon as you come to know of it. Payments are normally insured to the extent of the limit on your card. Some companies offer it free and some charge small premium. I am paying Rs. 15 for credit shield premium on one card and the other is free. You can always get in touch with the credit card company/bank and get details about these procedure. You should always be careful about you card transactions. Credit card fraud worldwide is about three billion dollars. In India it is relatively less. On IRCTC wbsite some one got cheated for Rs. 1 lakh for ticket booked online.
What can you do?
1. Do not use any other computer except that you only use exclusively. Someone might have put key logger on other computers. You may not know. So avoid others computer and internet cafe
2. Use anti spyware on your computer where you do transactions. Run it regularly and update it frequently.
3. Use firewall for your computer. Zone Alarm or Norton Internet suite will be good.

4. Use Anti virus software such as Norton McAfee Trend Micro and regularly scan your computer for this.

5. Block all ports on your computer except those used by TCP/IP i.e. 8080 or 80. Firewall will normalyy do it for you.
Run a port scanner and check the open ports and see if they are required. All open ports on your computer are invitation to hackers

5.Constantly check online account for fraudulent transactions and report as soon as you notice it.

6. Keep your credit card physically in safe position and repot lost card immediately. Any charge after this will be paid by the credit card company.

7. It is a convenience and if used with care it may help you in proper financial planning. Donot fear to use it.
Pankaj

pkjha30 said:
In case there is online fraud on your card then you can repudiate the claim and write to the credit card company as soon as you come to know of it. Payments are normally insured to the extent of the limit on your card. Some companies offer it free and some charge small premium. I am paying Rs. 15 for credit shield premium on one card and the other is free. You can always get in touch with the credit card company/bank and get details about these procedure. You should always be careful about you card transactions. Credit card fraud worldwide is about three billion dollars. In India it is relatively less. On IRCTC wbsite some one got cheated for Rs. 1 lakh for ticket booked online.
What can you do?
1. Do not use any other computer except that you only use exclusively. Someone might have put key logger on other computers. You may not know. So avoid others computer and internet cafe
2. Use anti spyware on your computer where you do transactions. Run it regularly and update it frequently.
3. Use firewall for your computer. Zone Alarm or Norton Internet suite will be good.

4. Use Anti virus software such as Norton McAfee Trend Micro and regularly scan your computer for this.

5. Block all ports on your computer except those used by TCP/IP i.e. 8080 or 80. Firewall will normalyy do it for you.
Run a port scanner and check the open ports and see if they are required. All open ports on your computer are invitation to hackers

5.Constantly check online account for fraudulent transactions and report as soon as you notice it.

6. Keep your credit card physically in safe position and repot lost card immediately. Any charge after this will be paid by the credit card company.

7. It is a convenience and if used with care it may help you in proper financial planning. Donot fear to use it.
Pankaj

Hi Pankaj

Thanks for this usefull information.

Information on the insurance matter is very usefull,
i dont know in my cc this facility is available or not but I will confirm
it from their executive.

Thanks

Hi Vicky,
Dont worry about the online payment.I think It s simply that your CC bill will be automatically debitted from ur bank A/C with HDFC..