Building Trader's Psychology

Trading Lessons from Cricket...!

“ Play with a straight bat ”
Learn the trading before trading (seems simple but how many follow it?). Be technically strong.It is important to do the right things rightly, otherwise u "loose ur wicket".

“ Stay at the crease ”
Have patience. You will have ample correct opportunities. don't do a stupid trade and loose so much of ur capital that ur career is finished before starting!

“ Running between the wickets “
Do efficiently what has to be done. don't be slow in encashing oppotunities.

“ Footwork ” -
Take risk, Use your talent. No Risk, No Reward

“ Concentrate on line and length ” -
Consistency is crucial. Discipline in stock trading is boring but is the difference between the Pros and Amateurs...Stick ruthlessly to your trading rules. No questions asked. Enter when there is an Enter signal as per the system. Exit when there is an Exit signal as per the System. Have a Stop loss as per the System. Period.

“ Keep the scoreboard ticking. 1’s and 2’s are also important“ -
Don't miss small profits.they add up big, too!
Tendulkar's century has 60% contribution from 1's and 2's.

“ Save 25-50 runs in fielding ” -
Save brokerage, Earn those extra bits by using bids and limit orders.
Money saved is money earned. It’s compounding effect is huge!”

“ Helmet, Guards, Pads, Gloves” -
Use stop loss. Play with only that much of capital that won't break your back in case something seriously goes wrong (they sometimes do in stock market). Safety net in life is important! Trade sensibly.

“ Don’t get hit-wicket ” -
Beware of stupid, careless and suicidal trading decisions.

“ Build the foundation of innings” -
Concentrate on investing in foundation of ur trading career.
You have to learn to walk before you run and take off

“Rotate the strike“ -
Take small breaks from "Trade batting". Give opportunity to other aspects of life too. Take a breather. this will keep u mentally fit and sharp.

“ Build partnerships ” -
What clicks, keep clicking. Stick to ur tried and tested winning method.

ISN"T IT VERY SIMILAR TO TRADING LIFE...Guess Why Sachin is called the Demi-god of Cricket, he simply follow those rules
Why can't we?

Another Gem from the Master....guys enjoy

(Excerpts from interview with mark weinstein)

"........I have a real fear of the markets. I have found that the greatest traders are the ones who are most afraid of the markets. My fear of the markets has forced me to hone my timing with great precision. When I am trading properly, it is like a pool player running racks. If my gut feel of market conditions is not right, i don't trade. My timing is a combination of experience and my nervous system. If my nervous system tells me to get out of the position, it is because the market action triggers something in my knowledge and experience that I have seen before.
I also don't lose much on my trades, because I wait for the exact right moment. Most people will not wait for an environment to tip itself off; they will walk into the forest when it is still dark, while I wait until it gets light.

Although the cheetah is the fastest animal in the world and can catch any animal on the plains, it will wait until it is absolutely sure it can catch its prey; it may hide in the bush for a week, waiting for just the right moment. it will wait for a baby antelope,
and not just any baby antelope, preferably one that is sick or lame. only then, when there is no chance it can lose it's prey, does it attack.
That, to me, is the epitome of professional trading.

when I trade at home, I often watch the sparrows in my garden.When I feed them bread, they take just a little piece at a time and fly away; they keep on flying back and forth, taking small bits of bread. They may have to make a hunderd stabs at a piece of bread to get what apigeon gets at one time, but that is why a pigeon is a pigeon. You will never be able to shoot a sparrow, it is just too fast.

That is the way I day trade."

(the cheetah is the analogy to position/Swing trading and the sparrow for day trading.
both animals will wait for the can't-lose circumstances.)

7 ENEMIES, 1 FRIEND, 1 ADVISOR OF A DAY TRADER

7enemies

========

predicting (what will happen)

expecting (what shud happen)

betting (on false premise of luck)

hoping ( for the trade to win)

forecasting ( on basis of false belief)

guessing (the next move)

anticipating ( the next move)

1 friend

========

following ( the trend/method)

1 advisor

=========

waiting ( patiently for the entry/level)

---------------------------------------------

what is happening is more important than what should have happened
day trading is the only place where being reactive is more important than being proactive!

Sunny1

7enemies

========

guessing (the next move)

1 friend

========

1 advisor

=========

day trading is the only place where being reactive is more important than being proactive!

I disagree with 5 enemies in the list. while betting and hoping are definitely cruel enemies for traders.

predicting, expecting, forecasting, guessing, anticipating...practically are same thing in stock market..

If the move you anticipating or guess went wrong it means the basis was wrong or information was misinterpreted or wrongly interpreted.
if this happens the only thing is to do is change the base or the way of interpreting info and then try again. and try till you get it right. MM will keep you from busting account when trade goes wrong.

Sunny Ji
It could be but just read the last two lines
The crux of the post is during day trading just follow the trend/method patiently...don't anticipate,, guess, forecast what is to happen, because trend is ur best friend till it reverses
Beeting and Gambling are done through hope of winning
the Pro traders trade the oppurtunities present in the market without anticipating what happens next, they trade through, set ups, market signals, indicator/system signals etc..
but not on premise of what will happen if i take or not....they leave that for market to decide....
They don't trade on BASIS...they trade on OPPORTUNITIES
Try to understand my point of view.. u can ask any pro trader here around....

The author has given very smart attention to 5 friends especially predicting, expecting, forecasting, guessing, anticipating....because he knows..these are the one of the worst mistakes ever done by novice traders

Ya I agree MM or i shud say RISK MANAGEMENT is the only tool to avoid those friends...
as they say
" Winners protect the downside rather than expecting any Upside"

EK Special Advice
" Kabhi kuch expect mat karna,,,kyunki agar woh nahi hota hai to dil dukhta hai...saare dukhon ki wajah hai...expected chize na ho pana"

So don't expect anything from ur trades...automatically emotions nahi aayenge ad will make u a better trader...
Try karna..personal experience hai...

8 Laws of Trading Risk

Law 1. No risk, No advancement
No trader ever became really rich without taking risk!
90% of traders don't ever make it to the higher orbit due to fear of risk!

------------------------------------------------------

Law 2. Risk with minimum risk
Risk should be taken at the point of maximum probability of its going in your favour.
The risk war is already won by the true trader before the start of the war!

Law 3. Risk as per appetite
Know "How much is too much".
Bite what you can chew, otherwise it can choke you!
Never risk all. Keep spare regeneration seeds.

Law 4. Risk correct
Think about taking risk only when you know how to!
Don't go for the Lion Safari without Knowledge and Experience.

Law 5. Risk with boundaries
Draw the line beyond which the risk would be accepted as having gone wrong and position closed.

Law 6. Avoid risky risks!
There are times when risk is risky and should be respected and spared.
When in doubt, stay at home.

Law 7. Insure the risk
Have a plan B ready.

Law 8. Identify your favourite risk
Many traders became millionaires by repeatedly taking their "favourite" risk.
Risk which they have mastered.
Risk which has been exposed before them.
Risk whose every contour they know by heart!

Market 'Noise': How Seasoned Traders Learn to Ignore It But Don't Avoid It......Jim Wycoff

For many years I was a futures market reporter with the FWN wire service (now called OsterDowJones). I spent time working right on the futures trading floors in Chicago and New York. Most of the time my daily reporting "beat" involved interviewing traders and analysts and then writing three daily market reports. For months at a time I would cover the same markets, day in and day out. It was a fantastic learning experience and an opportunity that very few get.

One thing I eventually discovered from covering the same markets day after day, month after month, was that the vast majority of the time the vast majority of the markets' overall fundamental and technical situations did not change on a day-to-day basis. Yet, as a market reporter I was conditioned to write about why the market went up one day and why the market went down the next day, and so on. Even though a market may have been in a very narrow trading range for days or weeks, I had to ask the traders and analysts every day to come up with some fresh fundamental andor technical reasons why that market moved only a fraction. Reporting on the New York "soft" futures markets (coffee, cocoa, sugar, cotton and orange juice) is especially difficult for a reporter. He or she needs to dig up and write about some fresh-sounding news every day. The soft markets many times just do not have much fresh fundamental news on a daily basis -- or sometimes even on a weekly basis, for that matter. Conversely, it was easier covering the financial and currency markets because there was usually at least one government economic report that came out every day that would make those markets wiggle a bit. Or, some government official (like Greenspan) would make comments to which those markets took notice.

As time went on and I came to better understand markets and market behavior, and as I studied specific trading strategies, I realized that the day-to-day market "noise" is not of much use to most traders. Here's a specific example of market noise: Recently the live cattle futures market was up a bit on a Monday due to talk that the cash cattle trade later in the week would be at higher money. On Tuesday the futures market dropped a bit because of ideas the cash cattle market trade later in the week may not be at firmer money, but steady at best. Nobody was trying to manipulate the live cattle market that week. It was just a case of differing opinions getting center stage when the market closed on different sides of unchanged.

For a trader who tries to follow the near-term fundamentals in a market too closely, hearing that kind of conflicting news can be a nuisance at least, or a factor that prevents successful trading results at most. It's not easy for less-experienced traders to ignore the differing daily drumbeat of fundamental news that is reportedly impacting a market.

The lesson here is that prudent traders should not become overly sensitive or reactive to most of the day-to-day fundamental news events that are reported to be moving the market on any given day. What is important for the trader is that he or she recognizes and understands the overall trend of the market, and that daily market "noise" is usually an insignificant part of the overall process of trading and of market behavior, itself.

ANYONE WHO WAS TRADING NIFTY OR WATCHING THEM LIVE AFTER THE AMERICA"S DEBT DEAL...WOULD HAVE FALLEN ON TRAP THAT THE NEWS IS BULLISH AND WILL PUSH THE MARKETS HIGHER AND HIGHER , BUT IF WE CAN SEE THAT THE MARKETS ARE IN NO MOOD TO GO HIGHER OR EVEN LOWER BECAUSE THEY ARE STRUCK IN RANGE AND AN POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE NEWS HAVE NOT THAT GREAT EFECT...NIFTY TRADERS HAVE SEEN THAT WHEN RBI 50 BPS CUT OR PMEAC REPORT ON LOWER GROWTH DID NOT HAD ANY GREAT EFFECT....

Last edited:
Don’t let your previous trade influence your next one – by Nial Fuller
This point is very important. This is where most traders screw up; they become emotionally influenced by their last trade. Whether it’s becoming angry at a loss or over-confident from a win, traders often let their previous trade or trades influence their next one. You absolutely cannot do this if you want to strictly follow your trading process and execute each trade as a separate event. If you need to take time off to “cool down” after every trade then do so by leaving your computer for a period of time. The bottom line is that if you want to build an impressive trading account, you have to learn to focus on one trade at a time, uninfluenced by the previous trade you took, and focusing on the process of trading will help you do this.

Trading Wisdom from Over the Years

Trading is simple, but it isn’t easy. If you want to stay in this business, leave “hope” at the door and stick to your stops.

When you get into a trade, start looking for signs right away that you are wrong. If you see them, then get out before your stop is hit.

Trading should be boring, like factory work. If there is one guarantee in trading, it is that “thrill seekers” get their accounts ground into parking meter money.

Amateur traders turn into professional traders when they stop looking for the “next great technical indicator” and start controlling their risk on each trade.

Be very aware of your own emotions. Irrational behavior is every trader’s downfall. If you are yelling at your computer screen, imploring your stocks to move in your direction, you have to ask yourself,”Is this rational?” Ease in. Ease out. Keep your stops. No yelling.

Watch yourself if you get too excited – excitement increases risk because it clouds judgment.

Don’t overtrade – be patient and wait for 3-5 good trades.

If you come into trading with idea of making “big money”, you are doomed. This mindset is responsible for most accounts being blown out.

Don’t focus on the money. Focus on executing trades well. If you are getting in and out trades rationally.

If you focus on the money, you will start to impose your will upon the market in order to meet your financial needs. There is only one outcome to this scenario: you will hand over all of your money to traders who are focused on protecting their risk and letting their winners run.

The best way to minimize risk is not to trade. This is especially true during the low-volume “chop and slop” found during the afternoon trading session between 11:30 AM Eastern and 2:30 PM Eastern. If your stocks are not acting right, then don’t trade them. Just sit and watch them and try to learn something. By doing this you are being proactive in reducing your risk and protecting your capital.

There is no need to trade 5 days per week. Trade 4 days per week and you should be sharper during the actual time you are trading.
Refuse to damage your capital. This means sticking to your stops and sometimes staying out of the market.

Stay relaxed. Place a trade and set a stop. If you get stopped out, who really cares? You are doing your job. You are actively protecting your capital. Professional traders take small losses. Amateurs resort to hope and sometimes prayer to save their trade. In life, hope is a powerful and positive thing. In executing a trade, hope is a virus that can infect and destroy.

Be right on day one or get out. Not a good habit to take home a losing trade hoping it comes back tomorrow.

Keep winners as long as they are moving your way. Let the market take you out on a trailed stop.

Money management is the secret to success, Don’t overweight your trades. The more you overweight a trade, the more “hope” comes into play when it goes against you. Hope is to trading as acid is to skin. The longer you leave it in place, the more painful the outcome will be.

There is no logical reason to hesitate in taking a stop. Reentry is only a trade away. Planned re-entries should the thought process.

Professional traders take losses. Being wrong and not taking a loss does damage to your wallet, mind and soul.

Once you take a loss you forget about the trade and move on. Especially if it is a small one. Do yourself a favor and take advantage of any opportunity to clear your head by taking a small loss.

You should never let one position go against you by more than 2% of your account equity. This means if you have a $50,000 trading account, you should never let one stock turn into a loss of more than $1,000. This means if you max out your 2 to 1 margin account and buy 2000 shares of a $50 stock, you must have a stop loss of 50 cents. That is tight and bound to get hit. Do yourself a favor and buy 400 shares of this $50 stock and use a $2.00 stop to start. That is only an $800 dollar loss and gives you room to trail your stop up to break-even before you are taken out on a wiggle. Is there ever a time when it is okay to take more than a 2% portfolio loss on a position? NO! Never means exactly that. This is a maximum loss by the way. Setting up your plays for losses of 1% of your equity is even better.

Use daily charts to get an idea of the 30-day trend, hourly charts to get an idea of the 1-day trend, and 5-minute charts to establish your entry points.

If you are hesitating to take a position, that indicates a lack of confidence that is not necessary. Just get into the position and PLACE A STOP. Traders lose money in positions everyday. Keep them small. The confidence you need is not in whether or not you are right, the confidence you need is in knowing you will stick to your stop no matter what. Therefore you can actually alleviate this hesitance to “pull the trigger” by continually sticking to your stops and reinforcing this behavior.

Averaging down on a position is like a sinking ship deliberately taking on more water.

Build up to a full position as it goes your way.

Adrenaline is a sign that your ego and your emotions have reached a point where they are clouding your judgment. Realize this and immediately tighten your stop considerably to preserve profits or exit your position.

Look for opportunities NOT to trade.

You want to own the stock before it breaks out, then sell it to the momentum players after it breaks out. If you buy breakouts, realize that professional traders are handling off their positions to you in order to test the strength of the trend. They will typically buy it back below the breakout point – which is typically where you will set your stop when you buy a breakout. (In case you ever wondered why you get stopped out on a lot of “failed” breakouts).

Embracing your opinion leads to financial ruin. When you find yourself rationalizing or justifying a decline by saying things like, “They are just shaking out weak hands here,” or “The market makers are just dropping the bird here,” then you are embracing your opinion. Don’t hang onto a loser. You can always get back in.

Unfortunately, discipline is typically not learned until you have wiped out a trading account. Until you have wiped out an account, you typically think it cannot happen to you. It is precisely that attitude that makes you hold onto losers and rationalize them all the way into the ground. If you find yourself saying things like, ”My stock in EXDS is still a good investment,” then it is time to start following the basic principals all professional traders follow. (That would be protecting your capital, aggressively cutting your losses, and letting your profits run by not giving it to the temptation to sell just because you have a quarter profit).

Siphoning out your trading profits each month and sticking them in a money market account is a good practice. This action helps to focus your attitude that this is a business and not a place to seek thrills. If you want an adventure, go live in Minnesota for a winter. If you want excitement, deliberately forget your anniversary. Just don’t trade.
Professional traders only place a small portion of their assets into 1 position. Or if they take on a large position, then they strictly limit their risk to 1-2% of their current equity. Amateurs typically place a large portion of their assets into 1 position, and they give it “room to move” in case they are actually right. This type of situation creates emotions that ruin accounts, while professionals are able to make decisions and cut losses because they strictly define their risk.

Professional traders focus on limiting risk and protecting capital. Amateur traders focus on how much money they can make on each trade.

In the stock market, heroes get crushed. Averaging down on a losing position is a “heroic move” that is akin to Superman taking a spoonful of Kryptonite. The stock market is not about blind courage. It is about finesse. Don’t be a hero.

Sadly, traders never learn the importance of “the rules” until they have blown their account out of the water. Until you “lose it all” it never seems that important to have to follow the basics of professional trading. (Cut your losses. Let your profits run, etc).

The market reinforces bad habits. If early on you held onto a loser that went against you by 20%, and you were able to get out for break-even, you are doomed. The market has reinforced a bad habit. The next time you let a stock go against you by 20%, you will hang on because you have been taught that you can get out for break-even if you just be patient and hang on long enough. Tell that to the folks who bought VERT at $145. When’s it going to get back to break-even? Well, if your timeframe is “never”, then you have nothing to worry about. Control your risk by sticking to your stops.

This next “bit” is brutal, but true. The true mark of an amateur trader who is never going to make it in this business is one who continually blames everything but his or herself for the outcome of a bad trade. This includes, but is not limited to, saying things like:
The analysts are crooks.
The market makers were fishing for stops.
I was on the phone and it collapsed on me.
The message boards caused this one to pump and dump.
The specialists are playing games.

The mark of a professional, however, sounds like this:

It is my fault. I traded this position too large for my account size.
It is my fault. I didn’t stick to my own risk parameters.
It is my fault. I allowed my emotions to dictate my trades.
It is my fault. I was not disciplined in my trades.
It is my fault. I knew there was a risk in holding this trade into earnings, and I didn’t fully comprehend them when I took this trade.

The obvious difference here is accountability. For amateurs, everything having to do with the market is “outside their control.” That is not reasonable thinking, and really just points to an individual who has, probably for the first time, had to confront their “real self” as opposed to the perfect self or idealized self they have constructed in their mind. This is also known as “living in a fog.” A person can drift around through life in their own private world, where they are pretty special and can do no wrong.

Unfortunately, trading rips off this mask, because you cannot dispute what has happened to your account. This is also known as “confronting reality.” For many people, when they start trading they are suddenly confronting reality for the first time in their lives.

Just to see the world as it really is requires a lifetime of training, and for many people trading the stock market is their first real step in this journey. Some people say that traders are born, not made. Not so. If you choose to see the world as it is, then you can start trading successfully tomorrow.

Amateur traders always think, “How much money can I make on this trade!” Professional traders always think, “How much money can I lose on this trade?”
The trader who controls his or her risk takes money from the trader whose head is in the clouds.

At some point traders realize that no one can tell you exactly what is going to happen next in the market, and that you can never know how much you are going to make on a trade. Thus the only thing lift to do is to determine how much risk you are willing to take in order to find out if you are right or not. The key to trading success is to focus on how much money is at risk, not how much you can make.

vssoma

dear,
sorry....i missed thanks button.....

7enemies

========

guessing (the next move)

1 friend

========

1 advisor

=========

8 Laws of Trading Risk

Law 1. No risk, No advancement
No trader ever became really rich without taking risk!
90% of traders don't ever make it to the higher orbit due to fear of risk!

Law 2. Risk with minimum risk
Risk should be taken at the point of maximum probability of its going in your favour.
The risk war is already won by the true trader before the start of the war!

Law 3. Risk as per appetite
Know "How much is too much".
Bite what you can chew, otherwise it can choke you!
Never risk all. Keep spare regeneration seeds.

Law 4. Risk correct
Think about taking risk only when you know how to!
Don't go for the Lion Safari without Knowledge and Experience.

Law 5. Risk with boundaries
Draw the line beyond which the risk would be accepted as having gone wrong and position closed.

Law 6. Avoid risky risks!
There are times when risk is risky and should be respected and spared.
When in doubt, stay at home.

Law 7. Insure the risk
Have a plan B ready.

Law 8. Identify your favourite risk
Many traders became millionaires by repeatedly taking their "favourite" risk.
Risk which they have mastered.
Risk which has been exposed before them.
Risk whose every contour they know by heart!