BollingerBands

Did Bollinger Bands help you?

• Yes

Votes: 239 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 68 22.1%

• Total voters
Hi niftytaurus,

The problem with many (including me,initially) is that ,once a position is initiated ,
we want to see it ,to hit other BAND.We tend to ignore some signals.

"A" on Stochastic chart corresponds to TOP band of BB, so square off entire position ,
if already a BUY position is there.Initiate a SELL position.

"B" on Stochastic chart is telling ,to stop SELL position and initiate a BUY position.

"C" on Stochastic chart is telling to stop BUY position and initiate a SELL position.

Since you are doing PAPER TRADING where greed/fear has no role, you can initiate
a SELL position at "D" also.

If it hits LOWER band with RED+GREEN pair ,then square off entire quanity

Since Bands are NARROW and difference between them is comparable to the Candles
I am given to understand that most probably this is a chart of 1Min time frame.

The problem with such a low Time frame is 1.Too many trades 2.The chances of going
Wrong (Whipsaws).

Moreover ,I observed that in Strong Markets ,I was booking profits early.
To solve the problem ,I have developed another strategy ,3D-bollinger bands,
where it contains ,not ONE ,but a series of Bands with varying SMAs and SDs.

In highly bullish/bearish markets please give some relaxation to the rules.
Thanks Columbus Sir for prompt & detailed reply..
This is 5 min chart ..if we put 4 trades in those small period..it will be like scalping..so can we scalp like that? But I am not comfortable with taking so many trades..as stochastic changes its direction many times..how to overcome this problem?
for me paper trading is like real trading with 1 lot nifty..so I am trying it with that.
I put ema stripes & 3d bollingar along with my chart to helping in decision ..in ema stripes, when it changes its color , i mean in blue stripes, it shows patches of red for some time..& then blue continues, so I again get confused..
I think , I should not stick to strict rules..I should observer them more & more..& then use my discreation, then it will be better to improve my trading results..what do u think?
Thanks again

columbus

Hi Columbus
I have another query..as you always mention, we should see 2 different time period 3 in & 5min..It means we should take entry & exit only if they happpen simultaneously on 3 &5 min together..
Example, if price touches lower band on 5 min, so we should check 3 min same time & see. if it touches there also..if it doesnt touch lower band of 3 min ,we ahould not take entries..
it means, both time frame should show same entry / exit , then only can take entries/exit..if both are not on same bands, we should avoid those entries/ exits..

Besides , I have so many queries..

Please bear with me, as I am very much intrested in this indicator & I trust it will help me very much in my trading..
Thanks
This is true when markets are choppy.

But when the market is STRONG (in either direction) ,this may not be the case.
Moreover ,a solid CANDLE shown on 3 min TF may show as simple wick on 5 min
TF.

columbus

Hello niftytauras , even i was facing the same problem some time back in my paper trades. I would take short position just after Green+Red piercing , but if the candles still go up it would hit SL . But now a days what i do is , i wait for the prices to come down and enter at "LOW" of piercing green candle , this is working most of the time for me and is reducing chances of failure.

If price dosen't reach the low of piercing candle and still go up and are concentrated on the upper band indicating bullishness , i go long.

I got to know this from columbus sir's and timepass sir's reply as i had addressed a similar query in previous posts.

You can take a look here

http://www.traderji.com/day-trading/27421-bollingerbands-236.html#post1026994

http://www.traderji.com/day-trading/27421-bollingerbands-236.html#post1027010

Hi ankit3066,

We know very well we are in bull market.While putting a SELL ,it is wise to book
profits quickly.Better to put BUY call ,with RED+GREEN pair on bottom band.
Caution is required while putting a SELL call in bull market.

columbus

Thanks Columbus Sir for prompt & detailed reply..
This is 5 min chart ..if we put 4 trades in those small period..it will be like scalping..so can we scalp like that? But I am not comfortable with taking so many trades..as stochastic changes its direction many times..how to overcome this problem?
for me paper trading is like real trading with 1 lot nifty..so I am trying it with that.
I put ema stripes & 3d bollingar along with my chart to helping in decision ..in ema stripes, when it changes its color , i mean in blue stripes, it shows patches of red for some time..& then blue continues, so I again get confused..
I think , I should not stick to strict rules..I should observer them more & more..& then use my discreation, then it will be better to improve my trading results..what do u think?
Thanks again
Even the originator of this idea ,JOHN BOLLINGER ,has said (I do not remember the exact
words) ,that

Bollinger Bands alone does not alone decide ENTRY/EXIT and it had to be confirmed by
another indicator.
So BB+3DBB+ Stochastics will decide the Entries/Exits.

EMA stripes merely helps you ,whether your decision is CORRECT or NOT.

The change in colours of the stripes is due to the fact that LOWER EMAs are highly
sensitive to price movements.

If at all anybody is interested in SCALPING ,then he should use small TF but not 5Min
TFs.

BLUE line........................10 day EMA
White+Maroon line............20 day SMA

In case a drastic fall white turns into maroon.
Bull market.......Blue line over white line.
Bear market......Blue line under Maroon line.

Sir i was reading some previous posts and came across this one.I was wondering if we can use the same settings while day trading on 3/5 min time frame.

And what difference does it make if we use SMA-10 instead of EMA-10 ??

The lower BB was pierced on the daily, but it is still a red bar. The BB are expanding.

On the weekly too, it has turned down and maybe headed towards the 20SMA, which is near 100DEMA (8029).

too early to say, but the monthly so far shows an engulfing bear.

BB are expanding on all the three time frames.

The lower BB was pierced on the daily, but it is still a red bar. The BB are expanding.

On the weekly too, it has turned down and maybe headed towards the 20SMA, which is near 100DEMA (8029).

too early to say, but the monthly so far shows an engulfing bear.

BB are expanding on all the three time frames.

When BB expand we expect more volatility , and on weekly chart they are heading 20 sma. Does this mean we will see selling pressure and will the market go down in the coming days ?? :confused:

When BB expand we expect more volatility , and on weekly chart they are heading 20 sma. Does this mean we will see selling pressure and will the market go down in the coming days ?? :confused:
It definitely looks that way, but no one can really predict the snake accurately, right ? :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AmiBroker 0