beginner's problem - please help

Hi All,

I am absolutely new to technical analysis and am facing an original problem as well as a new current one. Any help will be life-saving.

the original problem is that i have downloaded EOD data and am unable to upload it, it is EOD data that i'm sure of, and i have tried using the wizard to add an extra column for O/I as given in the .txt file for EOD. but i am unable to open any charts by companies as it was showing min 3 bars required for data. Then once i changed the extra column it started showing me data for scrip wise or rather by scrip code ( once i clicked the unquoted data).

HOW DO I DOWNLOAD IT !! :( :(

The second problem is that i have exited all the original the screens (out of frustration) and my home screen for amibroker is blank and i don't know how to revive the default home page. GRRRR

ANY HELP WILL BE A LIFESAVER..

Thanks in advance

Nupur

Hi All,

I am absolutely new to technical analysis and am facing an original problem as well as a new current one. Any help will be life-saving.

the original problem is that i have downloaded EOD data and am unable to upload it, it is EOD data that i'm sure of, and i have tried using the wizard to add an extra column for O/I as given in the .txt file for EOD. but i am unable to open any charts by companies as it was showing min 3 bars required for data. Then once i changed the extra column it started showing me data for scrip wise or rather by scrip code ( once i clicked the unquoted data).

HOW DO I DOWNLOAD IT !! :( :(

The second problem is that i have exited all the original the screens (out of frustration) and my home screen for amibroker is blank and i don't know how to revive the default home page. GRRRR

ANY HELP WILL BE A LIFESAVER..

Thanks in advance

Nupur
If you downloaded the data and it's in the Amibroker data based (you checked) then you must not be opening the right data base folder. Go thru the data set-up files and you will solve....too many variables on what you could have done wrong

I have actually set up the files according to my EOD download. they are for eg: in the file c:\amibroker\bhavcopy\NSE

This is the file in txt format.

I am trying to import this file.

how do i set it up correctly.

also my main screen looks is completely blank because i exited the assessment screen and the top left screen which displayes charts and exited the chart screen main page itself. how do i get back to the original.

:( :(

Nupur

I have actually set up the files according to my EOD download. they are for eg: in the file c:\amibroker\bhavcopy\NSE

This is the file in txt format.

I am trying to import this file.

how do i set it up correctly.

also my main screen looks is completely blank because i exited the assessment screen and the top left screen which displayes charts and exited the chart screen main page itself. how do i get back to the original.

:( :(

Nupur
Use the file import wizard
File > Import Wizard.
Take your time and set columns up exactly like they are in txt file
Save settings so all future uploads can be done without defining columns
Then future data can be imported using...File > Import > ASCII

Wait until you download data then open charts. I will be fine : )

It is showing me the following error message when I pick up the .txt file from the folder.

Logging started for 'C:\Program Files\amibroker\bhavcopy\BSE\2010-12-24-BSE-EQ.txt' file, using format definition file 'Formats\wizard.format'
Error in line <ticker>,<date>,<open>,<high>,<low>,<close>,<volume>,<o/i>
Invalid (close) price. Prices must be positive. If you want to import no quotation data please specify $NOQUOTES 1 ('no quotation data' box in Wizard)
Invalid date format/value

this is what one line in the data file looks like.

<ticker>,<date>,<open>,<high>,<low>,<close>,<volume>,<o/i>

am i using the right kind of file? as this is downloaded from a hemankapadia. com.

is there a better place to download the bhavcopy? Do i have to convert this bhavcopy file to suit the amibroker database?

Thanks for your help.. :)

Nupur