Bank Nifty Futures Trading Diary

Hey there fellow traders!

Starting this thread to paper trade one of my index trading strategies....

1. I will only be able to post the trades after the market closes. I have a full time job and won't be able to check if the system has given a signal or not.

2. Trades will be entered on the LTP (Last Traded Price) of the signal day.

3. The quantity will vary for each trade. It will depend on how wide the Stop is. If the Stop is too wide, we will use less quantity and vice versa.

4. At Target 1 we will exit 50% (Rounded Up) of the position and move Stop to Entry.

5. At Target 2 we will Exit another 40% (Rounded Up).

6. We will keep the remaining position open (10%) with a trailing stop based on Initial Risk Interval (IRI).

7. I want to try this on a big scale (Apna paisa kahan laga hai!!:D). So we will keep the initial risk for each trade @ Rs. 3,00,000/-

8. Stop Loss could vary between 300 to as high as 800 points. So the quantity per trade would vary accordingly from 35 to a minimum of 10 lots.

9. Since this is a big position, we will consider slippage for each trade @ 30 points.

10. I plan to continue this diary for a minimum of 1 year and see how it performs.

11. The backtested results for this strategy for this calendar year are....

A. Strategy I
Trades = 22
Win = 19
Win% = 86.3%
Total Gians = 4685.25
Total Loss = 1141.55
Gain/Loss = 4.10
Net Points = 3543.70
Total % Gains = 18.42%
Avg % Gains = 0.84%

B. Strategy II
Trades = 22
Win = 14
Win% = 63.6%
Total Gians = 7152.95
Total Loss = 2572.75
Gain/Loss = 2.78
Net Points = 4580.20
Total % Gains = 24.69%
Avg % Gains = 1.12%

Currently the system is in buy mode. But it achieved both the targets and also hit the trailing stop without giving a sell signal. So we are out of the markets right now.

This strategy works best on Bank Nifty. It has given positive returns for Nifty as well. And I will start a separate Diary for Nifty Futures.
For some reason, this system does not work on stocks as a whole. Sure some stocks give very good performance, but there are also those stocks which simply hit the Stops every time. But just to be thorough, I will also start a Stock Diary, first for Nifty 50 stocks, and then for the whole F&O Universe.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Cost as in Brokerage & Taxes??
I have an account at Zerodha.....and surely you know they charge Rs.20 per trade.
As we will be trading a minimum of 10 lots, the cost would come around to a max of 0.5 points on a round trade.
And that is why I did not consider it in the backtest.
Best of luck with your startegy.

Just to bring to your notice here, besides the brokerage of Rs.20, you will also incur a cost of around Rs.22+ per lot of BANKNIFTY in other charges. I hope you consider that too in your calculation.

Best of luck with your startegy.

Just to bring to your notice here, besides the brokerage of Rs.20, you will also incur a cost of around Rs.22+ per lot of BANKNIFTY in other charges. I hope you consider that too in your calculation.
My bad.
I had forgot to factor that in.
STT would be a major cost other than brokerage which we need to consider.
As you pointed out it is around Rs.25, so it would have an impact of less than 2 points per round trade.

As there are 22 trades this total would come around to 45 points on the grand points total.

And yes. The point count is per lot.

Cheers!!

Fundootrader

Date : 04-01-2016

1. BANKNIFTY-28JAN16 (Short)
Entry = 16625.0
Stop = 17085.0 (index level)
Qty = 21 lots (11-8-2)

Strategy I
Target 1 = 11 x 16382.05
Target 2 = 8 x 16139.15

Strategy II
Target 1 = 11 x 16139.15
Target 2 = 8 x 15653.30

First trade of 2016

Cheers!!

Would you be sharing your strategy I & II or only be posting trades - which anyone can compute based on EOD data

Would suggest share the strategy so when you post your trades - one can learn from it and interact with you to understand