Automating Simple strategy and order placement

kingkrunal

Hi All,

I am looking at the ways to automate a simple strategy (ema crossover) and trade it automatically.
Is there any method of doing so ?
Few options i am thinking are :
1- Amibroker - trades triggered but did not find a way to punch the orders. NEST automation is possible ?
2 - Code all things in some langauge C# along with the orders by using api.. but i read zerodha and upstox api are not reliable.

any other ideas or someone who has tried ? I am a developer so can play around tech even if it is complex.

thanks

As far as I know, retail Nest API which was like a few hundred rupees per month was discontinued in 2017 by Omnesys, & now, the full-fledged thing costs Rs.30,000 PER MONTH (both Finvasia & Wisdom told me the same thing), so too costly for retails traders.

Yes, I wouldn't want to go with Zerodha or Upstox API either, they seem highly unreliable.

Another option is Interactive Brokers API, which is free as far as I know but the only problem is that their margins aren't the best. So, if you don't care about margins, then you can consider that option.

Another option is the lot of the autotrader providers you can find upon doing a google-search but I'm not sure about their stability. The one I recently used was RealsenseIndia, which seemed stable & easy to use with a lot of good features but the main issue for me was that once the signal is generated in amibroker, it would take a couples of seconds to punch in the order in Nest, & thereby, was prone to significant slippages compared to what I usually do, that is, I manually punch in SL-L orders in anticipation of breakouts.
RealsenseIndia, like many autotrader providers, only provide market-orders, so it seems like this issue is going to be there with most of these autotraders.
Right now, I'm trying to make the stocksdeveloper.com's autotrader work but I can't seem to be able to set it up on my Windows virtual machine. They supposedly offer SL-L orders as well, which are essential for breakout traders like me to avoid slippage, which is why they caught my attention but I haven't been able to get it to work so far. :(

Please report here whatever solutions you end up trying, for the benefit of everyone else.

kingkrunal

As far as I know, retail Nest API which was like a few hundred rupees per month was discontinued in 2017 by Omnesys, & now, the full-fledged thing costs Rs.30,000 PER MONTH (both Finvasia & Wisdom told me the same thing), so too costly for retails traders.

Yes, I wouldn't want to go with Zerodha or Upstox API either, they seem highly unreliable.

Another option is Interactive Brokers API, which is free as far as I know but the only problem is that their margins aren't the best. So, if you don't care about margins, then you can consider that option.

Another option is the lot of the autotrader providers you can find upon doing a google-search but I'm not sure about their stability. The one I recently used was RealsenseIndia, which seemed stable & easy to use with a lot of good features but the main issue for me was that once the signal is generated in amibroker, it would take a couples of seconds to punch in the order in Nest, & thereby, was prone to significant slippages compared to what I usually do, that is, I manually punch in SL-L orders in anticipation of breakouts.
RealsenseIndia, like many autotrader providers, only provide market-orders, so it seems like this issue is going to be there with most of these autotraders.
Right now, I'm trying to make the stocksdeveloper.com's autotrader work but I can't seem to be able to set it up on my Windows virtual machine. They supposedly offer SL-L orders as well, which are essential for breakout traders like me to avoid slippage, which is why they caught my attention but I haven't been able to get it to work so far. :(

Please report here whatever solutions you end up trying, for the benefit of everyone else.
Yes there are many auto thingy around and i am yet to take any demo's as planning to on approach first.. .as all auto thingy works with amibroker and will but the licence only if i go down on that path.

I wanted to know how exactly the nest trading works ...
1. as soon as the signal comes in amibroker.. you need nest to be open and running ?
2. the application will read amibroker signal and enter the order via nest terminal ? I mean windows will be accessed and the order will be placed ?

Interactive brokers - i was reading through it and trying to make head and tails of the charges in there... seems confusing .. Leverage it something which is needed for intraday thingy but i will be on positional basis so not a big problem...

Nest api - i read omneysys stopped in 2017.. a shame... :(

lemondew

If you're going for delivery use ib. Ib doesn't provide intraday shorts for stock.

Yes there are many auto thingy around and i am yet to take any demo's as planning to on approach first.. .as all auto thingy works with amibroker and will but the licence only if i go down on that path.

1. as soon as the signal comes in amibroker.. you need nest to be open and running ?
2. the application will read amibroker signal and enter the order via nest terminal ? I mean windows will be accessed and the order will be placed ?

Interactive brokers - i was reading through it and trying to make head and tails of the charges in there... seems confusing .. Leverage it something which is needed for intraday thingy but i will be on positional basis so not a big problem...

Yes, you can try the demos, some of them are completely free, like automaticbuysell.com & stocksdeveloper.com. I'm not sure what license you're talking about but if you're talking about Amibroker license, then no, you don't necessarily need licensed Amibroker to run these autotraders, or at least it wasn't the case with autotraders that I've inquired about.

Yes, Nest has to be open & running, & their software basically acts as a bridge between Amibroker & Nest. Yes, as soon as a signal is generated in Amibroker, autotrader brings up the Nest order-window, & selects the instrument & quantity, & sends the market-order automatically.

Which charges? IB brokerage is 0.01% or Rs.20 max, just like Zerodha, Upstox, etc. Right, then that mayn't be a problem for you UNLESS you specifically trade Pharma stock-futures, like Auropharma, Cipla, Divislab, Drreddy, Lupin, which have VERY high margin requirements whereas all of the other stock-futures are probably close to NSE overnight margins (I only trade intraday).

Right, they stopped the retail version but it seems like some advanced version is available at a huge cost.

I only trade stock-futures with IB but months ago, when I was testing a new strategy on Cash market, I was able to short most of top 200 stocks intraday, although yes, like 20% of the stocks weren't shortable but there's a color-column that tells you which stocks you can short (light-green color) & which stocks you can't (dark-green color).

Of course, there's no restriction on shorting Futures intraday or overnight as long as one is able to meet their stipulated margin requirements.

Last edited:

kingkrunal

Yes, you can try the demos, some of them are completely free, like automaticbuysell.com & stocksdeveloper.com. I'm not sure what license you're talking about but if you're talking about Amibroker license, then no, you don't necessarily need licensed Amibroker to run these autotraders, or at least it wasn't the case with autotraders that I've inquired about.

Yes, Nest has to be open & running, & their software basically acts as a bridge between Amibroker & Nest. Yes, as soon as a signal is generated in Amibroker, autotrader brings up the Nest order-window, & selects the instrument & quantity, & sends the market-order automatically.

Which charges? IB brokerage is 0.01% or Rs.20 max, just like Zerodha, Upstox, etc. Right, then that mayn't be a problem for you UNLESS you specifically trade Pharma stock-futures, like Auropharma, Cipla, Divislab, Drreddy, Lupin, which have VERY high margin requirements whereas all of the other stock-futures are probably close to NSE overnight margins (I only trade intraday).

Right, they stopped the retail version but it seems like some advanced version is available at a huge cost.
So that is what I was assuming.. it is actually doing automation for the nest thingy and playing with exe files with the DLLs...
Sort of what autoit scripting does... Not reliable but ok .. I don't see why bo can't be placed... Will think of coding it out if no better option prevails..

Ib- there were some minimum requirement thing for. Some level .. like 5000 dollar or something.. didn't read it in details will check for sure ..

Yes nest advance finvasia mentioned when I discussed with them ..

So that is what I was assuming.. it is actually doing automation for the nest thingy and playing with exe files with the DLLs...
Sort of what autoit scripting does... Not reliable but ok .. I don't see why bo can't be placed... Will think of coding it out if no better option prevails..

Ib- there were some minimum requirement thing for. Some level .. like 5000 dollar or something.. didn't read it in details will check for sure ..

Yes nest advance finvasia mentioned when I discussed with them ..
Right, I'm not sure of the details since I don't understand programming that much.
As for Realsenseindia, they do allow BO's but not at the exchange-level; the autotrader will send out market-orders once your pre-configured SL or TP % is hit. So basically, market-orders is all it can work with, no pending-orders at the exchange-level can be placed by the autotrader. It's a peculiar limitation of most of these autotraders.

It's $500 initial & then $100 minimum to maintain market-data subscriptions. Bear in mind, we don't have to have dollars with them but the equivalent in INR - https://www.interactivebrokers.co.in/en/index.php?f=3405&p=nse

Last edited: