Anybody into blogging?

sh50

I am discovering that blogs can be as great as discussion forums where interacting with other people on the net is concerned and they are a lot more colorful and versatile too. Is there anybody into blogging here? I could not discover any share market blogs. If there is an experienced blogger here, I would appreciate if he could guide me to things like RSS and things like that.

Traderji, if you are aware, please advice. Thanks in advance.

sh50 said:
I am discovering that blogs can be as great as discussion forums where interacting with other people on the net is concerned and they are a lot more colorful and versatile too. Is there anybody into blogging here? I could not discover any share market blogs. If there is an experienced blogger here, I would appreciate if he could guide me to things like RSS and things like that.

Traderji, if you are aware, please advice. Thanks in advance.
I regularly monitor quite a few RSS feeds (related to trading, software programming, tech news & general news). I have started my own blog too (http://icharts.blogspot.com/) but haven't had time to start posting to it. I will probably start posting soon.

Here are few trading related blogs that I monitor using RSS on a daily basis:

http://tradermike.net/
http://www.maoxian.com/
http://www.michaelcovel.com/

The above are links to the website, once you get there you can subscribe to the RSS feeds. Make sure you look into the archives of the above sites, there is a ton of valuable trading related material.

--SwingTrader

Last edited:

sh50

Thanks a lot, swingtrader. Traderji is truly great. I know that RSS stands for Really simple sindicate and I have a vague idea that you can collect latest updated information from several websites without loading their entire web page. However, I want to know the functional part- kindly let me know how exactly is this RSS installed- I mean if you could tell me step by step, I would be very greatful. Let us know exactly how to link to the sites you mentioned and if there is anything different for blogs, do let me know.

Do you need a firewall protection definitely for things like blogging. How is Firewall different from Norton anti-virus. I am hazy on all this. Shall greatly appreciate if you could let me know. Thanks again

Are you from Delhi by any chance?

Last edited:
sh50 said:
Thanks a lot, swingtrader. Traderji is truly great. I know that RSS stands for Really simple sindicate and I have a vague idea that you can collect latest updated information from several websites without loading their entire web page. However, I want to know the functional part- kindly let me know how exactly is this RSS installed- I mean if you could tell me step by step, I would be very greatful. Let us know exactly how to link to the sites you mentioned and if there is anything different for blogs, do let me know. Thanks
once again. Are you from Delhi by any chance?
Actually, I am from Hyderabad. To browse RSS feeds you will need a feed reader software. Do you use Mozilla Firefox browser? If yes, then there is a Firefox extension available called "Sage" to view & manage RSS feeds, Firefox has built in support to format & display feeds too. But if you want to install a standalone software then just search for "RSS readers" in google. There are many available for free. Download and install one (there are few listed here: http://blogspace.com/rss/readers). After you install then you just need to add a RSS url (these urls generally appear on various websites as an orange colored button with XML written on it, just right click this button and copy the url and paste it in the software's "Add Feed" dialog). How you add feeds into the software could be different in different softwares.

One other way is to sign up for a free Bloglines account (at http://www.bloglines.com) you can then manage & browse all your feeds online. If you have a yahoo account you can add/manage feeds thru' "My Yahoo!" too.

--SwingTrader

sh50

Thanks a million again. It seems that the most knowledgeable people are from the south.

Where can you get this mozilla fox browser from? I will google for it but if you can let me know. I have a standalone computer so I suppose better to download

The link you have given is an "embarassment of riches". Since this is not something that one does again and again, can you recommend the best RSS. Sorry to ask but for a newbie , it can be a difficult choice and this is not something one can do again and again.

For instance, where Firewall is concerned, one of my friends told me that it is installed by the touchtel people themselves. Their representative tried to install three on my computer but failed. Then my hardware fellow told me that there is some microsoft based firewall that he is going to install and charge for it. My operating system was not fully updated and so that has to be reloaded for that. God knows who is telling the truth and the firewall has turned out to be like fire.
Can you add something about firewall too?

My account is at blogger. The www.bloglines.com that you are suggesting- does it automatically take care of what RSS does? Just for my knowledge.

I am sorry if i am asking too much but just as in business, success depends upon both operations and administration, one cannot afford to ignore the computer admin these days. In my view, one cannot really afford the computer getting out of order too. One of you tech-savy people should have a post on computer admin. I am sure ppl will benefit and appreciate. My profuse thanks.

You can also download feed reader from http://www.feedreader.com/ which you can use for Rss feed. You have to download the small utility and install in your computer. After that you have to visit the page you want to add to rss feed. Then copy and paste the address in the address bar in add url menu in feed reader. That is it. Next time when you start feedreader it connects to the address you have fed and you will get the new feeds if there are any.
gvnarendra

murthymsr

sh50 said:
Thanks a million again. It seems that the most knowledgeable people are from the south.

Where can you get this mozilla fox browser from? I will google for it but if you can let me know. I have a standalone computer so I suppose better to download

The link you have given is an "embarassment of riches". Since this is not something that one does again and again, can you recommend the best RSS. Sorry to ask but for a newbie , it can be a difficult choice and this is not something one can do again and again.

For instance, where Firewall is concerned, one of my friends told me that it is installed by the touchtel people themselves. Their representative tried to install three on my computer but failed. Then my hardware fellow told me that there is some microsoft based firewall that he is going to install and charge for it. My operating system was not fully updated and so that has to be reloaded for that. God knows who is telling the truth and the firewall has turned out to be like fire.
Can you add something about firewall too?

My account is at blogger. The www.bloglines.com that you are suggesting- does it automatically take care of what RSS does? Just for my knowledge.

I am sorry if i am asking too much but just as in business, success depends upon both operations and administration, one cannot afford to ignore the computer admin these days. In my view, one cannot really afford the computer getting out of order too. One of you tech-savy people should have a post on computer admin. I am sure ppl will benefit and appreciate. My profuse thanks.
You can download Mozilla Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Once you install go back to the website and look for Sage extension. This is the RSS reader. If you still have problems I can probably create screenshots and send them to you.

If the above seems to be complicated then just download and install one of the free RSS feed readers mentioned by gvnarendra or murthymsr. That should be simpler.

Even if you signup for Bloglines you can still continue to keep your blogger account. Bloglines is another alternative to Firefox's Sage extension or any other RSS readers.

Now to recommend the best between Firefox's Sage extension, free RSS reader and Bloglines, it is very difficult. I used to use FeedReader long time ago and liked it very much. These days I use only Firefox's Sage extension. You can initially go for FeedReader, it would be the easiest.

Firewall - if you are using Windows XP, once you upgrade to SP2 (Service Pack 2) it should have a built-in firewall. There are other firewalls you can install too, I am not aware of any other free ones. Norton's Personal Firewall would probably be a good one but I have not used it. You can upgrade to Windows XP SP2 and use its builtin firewall first. It should actually be enough.

You are absolutely right, having the computer in order is very important. What else can I say, make sure you install free AVG Anti-Virus on your PC (http://free.grisoft.com/). Make sure you connect to the internet few times a week so AVG can download virus definitions/fixes (this is automatic by default). Also install anti-spyware like Ad-Aware SE Personal v1.06 from here http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7423,00.asp
Again make sure you update spyware definitions regularly (there is an option called "Update" in the software for this purpose).

You are most welcome to ask anything anytime. I will share whatever I know.

--SwingTrader

sh50

Thanks a million, swingtrader. You have actually swung the issue in my facvor.

Well strange coincidence but it came in the Delhi times that there is going to be a booker price(higest literary award) for blogging as well. Jaideep, are you listening:-

My dear Jaideep, the blog
Is in Vogue
Instead of just the discussion forum Dialogue
You must explore other avenues; you are too good to clog

Sab kar rahen hain blog
Yeh Naya hai Rog
Jaideep, Aap bhi do kuch bhog
Aap ki poetry pe "wah wah" karenge log

Just today an engineer told me what spyware was " Agar Virus Abhishek Bachchan hai to Spyware Amitabh Bachchan" hai. If this is true you can ignore at your own peril

Thanks for the blogline tip in particular. Thanks to murthysmr and Gyanendra too. I will get back after sometime as I have to reload the OS and try all that you have mentioned.

Confirming- One has to have three things- Anti virus, firewall and spyware- I wonder if a three in one is available. This business of freedownloading from the internet-is that reliable enough. Isn;t it best to buy the original stuff just as some ppl buy the original OS. If it keeps your computer safe, I think it may be worth the cost.
Confirming- If the surfing is not proper even after clearing cookies, files and history and altering the settings, one can at most check the download speed which is 1/8th of the bandwidth. If still, the websites dont emerge at the regular speed, one has to assume that their server is clogged. Is it possible to verify that/There is nothing you can do about it? Is all this correct? Thank you?

murthymsr

"This business of freedownloading from the internet-is that reliable enough. Isn;t it best to buy the original stuff just as some ppl buy the original OS. If it keeps your computer safe, I think it may be worth the cost."
unquote

i beg to differ.

virus/spyware is not from freeware, rather it is 'pushed-in' by mischivous people or who intend to get some information about you, to promote a product.

" Agar Virus Abhishek Bachchan hai to Spyware Amitabh Bachchan hai."
unquote

a good anti-spyware remover freeware for personal use can be downloaded from:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adaware.html

a good AVG anti-spyware freeware for personal use can be downloaded from:
http://www.grisoft.com/

i have been using both the above programs formore than a year and am happy without virus or spyware.
murthymsr