Another Bhavcopy Downloader (ABCD)

josh1

even after trying so many times.. Im not possible to find the downloaded file.. Please help .. I guess dll is missing ..?? Please fix the issue
Where did you install ABCD? Look for folders inside that folder
Following folders are created automatically.
BSE
BSECUR
BSEFO
NSE
NSECUR
NSEFO

TracerBullet

ABCD works pretty well, downloaded 3 years data easily. When does NSE update bhavcopy data ?

Also, if someone needs to take only few scrips - you can do it easily using grep
Code:
grep.exe -h -w -E "LT|MARUTI|PFC|TATAMOTORS|TATASTEEL" NSE/* > output.csv
you can get grep.exe for windows easily, i wrote barebones ahk script using grep and it works fine for me. and can push to AB using mike's ImportRT.js

josh1

ABCD works pretty well, downloaded 3 years data easily. When does NSE update bhavcopy data ?
Hi TB,

There is a small problem. In case of multiple days download, ABCD does not wait for some days even if data file is there. It gives data not found message. I am trying to figure out solution.

NSE updates bhavcopy data at around 4:15 PM

TracerBullet

Hi TB,

There is a small problem. In case of multiple days download, ABCD does not wait for some days even if data file is there. It gives data not found message. I am trying to figure out solution.

NSE updates bhavcopy data at around 4:15 PM
Is there anyway to detect Missing days? I guess holidays will make it hard. Which other EOD tool works well for large range download? Then i can try to fill any missing days. Anyway, For daily/weekly updates where we can keep an eye, it work well. Now i can remove chartnexus.

josh1

Is there anyway to detect Missing days? I guess holidays will make it hard. Which other EOD tool works well for large range download? Then i can try to fill any missing days. Anyway, For daily/weekly updates where we can keep an eye, it work well. Now i can remove chartnexus.
Copy log into notepad.
Holidays are published on exchange site. I think I can detect week ends. Wait for couple of days. Any way you can download multiple times

TracerBullet

Copy log into notepad.
Holidays are published on exchange site. I think I can detect week ends. Wait for couple of days. Any way you can download multiple times
In addition, One thing you can try when free - skip download of files that already exist. This should make 2nd download fast as it will only try missed dates + holidays

rmike

Josh, if in case you are going to be upgrading ABCD, a couple of 'wishlist' points (if feasible for implementation :))

1. I kinda liked the previous version wherein one could have a say in deciding what to download (the one which had the option of inputting only the required indices in a text file). Possibly, a checkbox control for choice of download - indices/ equities/ futures & options data (all together or individual segments), would be a nice feature to have.

2. The provision of additional facility for deciding which indices to download as per user requirement (via the text file method) would enhance further flexibility.

3. The provision of OI data field for equities (a la GBC) would be a welcome addition.

P.S - Am aware that any 'well meaning' wishlist puts a tremendous burden of increased workload upon any developer, hence these are just suggestions which I felt would make the utility more versatile (in addition to what is discussed above). So don't shoot the suggester :);)

josh1

I think I can detect week ends. Wait for couple of days. Any way you can download multiple times
Yessss ABCD now detects week ends and skips them (default) optionally.

In addition, One thing you can try when free - skip download of files that already exist. This should make 2nd download fast as it will only try missed dates + holidays
Yessss. It also detects existing files and skips download. If you want to download again, delete existing files.

Josh, if in case you are going to be upgrading ABCD, a couple of 'wishlist' points (if feasible for implementation :))

1. Possibly, a checkbox control for choice of download - indices/ equities/ futures & options data (all together or individual segments), would be a nice feature to have.

Checkbox controls are already there :confused::confused:

3. The provision of OI data field for equities (a la GBC) would be a welcome addition.
OI field is already provided in FnO files. It is not there in equities. Exchange doesn't give :confused::confused:

2. The provision of additional facility for deciding which indices to download as per user requirement (via the text file method) would enhance further flexibility.

P.S - Am aware that any 'well meaning' wishlist puts a tremendous burden of increased workload upon any developer, hence these are just suggestions which I felt would make the utility more versatile (in addition to what is discussed above). So don't shoot the suggester :);)
Try to understand this..
Prior to 1-12-2015, NSE used to provide index historical data from here ..
http://nseindia.com/content/indices/histdata/Name of IndexDateDate.csv
for example -- http://nseindia.com/content/indices/histdata/CNX NIFTY01-06-2014-24-06-2014.csv
That means there was separate file for each index and different URL. I did not want to clutter code by hard coding URL for each index. Hence I created text file and read the Names of Index to change the URL.

NSE suddenly changed the index names on 9-11-2015 (was it tribute to World Trade Centre deaths?) . Fortunately, I could resolve the issue by changing Index names in Text file. Code change was not required.

On 1-12-2015, NSE decided to increase number of indices and also started disbursing data for all of them in single file.
New URL is this --
"http://www.nseindia.com/content/indices/ind_close_all_Date.csv"
Code change was required. Therefore, text file with index names became redundant.
The option available to you earlier was because of NSE and now it is not available because of NSE. Efforts required to give that option again is uneconomical.

There are 1600 plus scrips in NSE equity which you are carrying in your data base. Out of these, at least 500 are useless for trading. What difference does is make if you add another 30 index scrips which you don't use? Just ignore them.

josh1

ABCD is upgraded. It can be downloaded from link in my signature

Apart from changes stated above, There is facility to input dates manually.