Angst and ire

I m quoting verbatim from a book . That would suffice !

"In nature there is balance. Beasts destroy in small amounts. Ecological systems are not eliminated en masse. Plants are con- sumed and then grow. The sources of sustenance are dipped into and then replenished. The flower is enjoyed, the fruit eaten, the root preserved.
"Humankind has not learned about balance, let alone practiced it. It is guided by greed and ambition, steered by fear. In this way it will eventually destroy itself. But nature will survive; at least the plants will.

Rgds

Sumit

DSM

BPR,

I get your point.

I should however have added in my post - That the water is replenished every day and it is fresh and clean and not a place where mosquitoes will breed. And no, for and 500 rupee of bribe, these guys would not even bother over what happens. That is the sad part.... If you live in Mumbai the commercial capital of India, you will well know the levels of corruption. Lives of people don't matter - case in the point were motorist die each month due to pot holed roads.... This - even after spending thousands of crores of rupees!!!

They are doing the right thing except if they tried to collect bribe then it is wrong.But if they are imposing genuine fine then it is fine. Imagine the number of people that would fell ill or die because of disease spread. People's life > Dog's Life

Just shortly many of us have seen those picture about the dead three year old boy. Even most of us thought that this is related to the politics of how refugees are handled.

Now we know why that little boy had to die: Because Papa wanted new teeth.

Syrian boy drowned because his Father wanted new teeth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUuoaq1MLM

DSM

Dan - We see what we want to see, and in the process you forgot to highlight the following :

Quoting from : http://www.wsj.com/articles/image-of-syrian-boy-washed-up-on-beach-hits-hard-1441282847

* Mr. Kurdi brought his family to Turkey three years ago after fleeing fighting first in Damascus, where he worked as a barber.

* They sought shelter in Aleppo, but had to flee from there as it was attacked by ISIS.

* Their next refuge was Kobani, which again was captured and over run by ISIS.

* For the safety of the family - they took shelter in Turkey.

* In Turkey, he had worked on construction sites for 50 Turkish lira (roughly $17) a day, but it wasn’t enough to live on (rent, food and other expenses for a family of 4) He depended on his sister, who lived in Canada, for help paying the rent.

* His father suggested them to go to Europe to get his damaged teeth fixed and find a way to help his family leave Turkey.

I wonder as a husband to a wife, and father to two children who would not try to get their wife and small children a better life? It is easy to pass judgments on others - because we have not experienced the pain and suffering of people who have not only seen war but lived and fled from it three times.

BTW I understand that you are now settled/working in/from Switzerland - and have worked in Bangkok before. Ask yourself why you/your family left Germany or East Germany. There was no justification such as the horror of war there as is in Syria. So why have a different standard for yourself while you have never undergone the pain and suffering these people have?

Nothing personal. Just my view....

Just shortly many of us have seen those picture about the dead three year old boy. Even most of us thought that this is related to the politics of how refugees are handled.

Syrian boy drowned because his Father wanted new teeth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZUuoaq1MLM

@DSM

No problem with your above post and I do not take it personal. It is an emotional topic and each one of those people have there own story behind them. This story makes the reason how they act and what risk they want to take by each step they further do to reach there dreams (how ever they are). I absolute agree with you about this fact.

monkeybusiness

European countries are asked to provide them asylum, but their own countries (richest in world) Kuwait, Saudi & UAE have taken 0 (Zero) refugees.

European countries are asked to provide them asylum, but their own countries (richest in world) Kuwait, Saudi & UAE have taken 0 (Zero) refugees.

DSM

MonkeyBusiness,

Totally agree at the hypocrisy of the Gulf States.

Kuwait, Bahrain and UAE are small - but can take a token no. of refugees (considering their own small population) However Saudi Arabia and Oman have large geographical spread and can certain afford to absorb a large no of migrants - temporarily atleast, if not permanently.

Poorer mid-east countries have taken a lead in hosting the Syrian refugees though. As per UN High Comission of Refugee data Egypt, Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon have taken 2.1 million Syrians and Turkey is hosting another 1.9 million. But the situation will become grim if there is no end to war in Syria and there is an exodus of more refugees. There will be opposition in Europe too sometime or other if the situation continues.

A cause for concern among some Europeans will be of the unwillingness of the refugees to assimilate into their culture. It is also a fact that in countries such as US, UK, Norway, France, Holland, Belgium and Spain - Sudanese, Moroccoan and some other national refugees have also turned against their benefactors and have sought to undermine the authority of the local government.

The world, its politics, culture, economies are going to get more unpredictable. In my view, the root cause of conflict has to be resolved and that would include the following which involves one or other super-powers (US/Russia/China) directly or indirectly :

* Shia-Sunni (Iran-Saudi+Gulf Sates) reconciliation.
* Israel and Palestinian issues
* China's claims over islands with SE countries
* North-South Korea tension
* Cold war between US/Russia/China
* India-Pakistan issues

While this would be an ideal scenario, some countries and superpowers themselves have interest for mostly economic, military or geo-political reasons to counter what could be otherwise settled by peaceful means. While some could speak of the hands of illuminati and such, I tend to believe that commercial / economic motives (greed) is the main reason that situations such as above perpetuate and the world remains in a state of tension thereby allowing rich countries to sell billions of dollars in arms and make dependent countries puppets on a string.

Just my view...

The Refugee Crisis Isn’t a ‘European Problem’:

- The Syrian civil war has created more than four million refugees. The United States has taken in about 1,500 of them. The United States and its allies are at war with the Islamic State in Syria — fine, everyone agrees they are a threat — but don’t we have some responsibility toward the refugees fleeing the combat? If we’ve been arming Syrian rebels, shouldn’t we also be helping the people trying to get out of their way? If we’ve failed to broker peace in Syria, can’t we help the people who can’t wait for peace any longer?

- It’s not just the United States that keeps pretending the refugee catastrophe is a European problem. Look at countries that pride themselves on being havens for the homeless. Canada, where I come from? As few as 1,074 Syrians, as of August. Australia? No more than 2,200. Brazil? Fewer than 2,000, as of May.

- The worst are the petro states. As of last count by Amnesty International, how many Syrian refugees have the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia taken in? Zero. Many of them have been funneling arms into Syria for years, and what have they done to give new homes to the four million people trying to flee? Nothing.

- Blaming the Europeans is an alibi and the rest of our excuses like the refugees don’t have the right papers — are sickening.

- So why are our leaders — President Obama, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Prime Minister Tony Abbott and President Dilma Rousseff and others — doing so little? Resettling refugees, they fear, will trigger an even greater exodus, and they don’t know how their teams could handle the chaos that would result. Tough, resourceful management — clear quotas for Syrian refugees (especially those with young families), simplified procedures and a commitment to airlift people out quickly — could solve these problems.

Here the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/o...rod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=2

wisp

The Refugee Crisis Isn’t a ‘European Problem’:

- The Syrian civil war has created more than four million refugees. The United States has taken in about 1,500 of them. The United States and its allies are at war with the Islamic State in Syria — fine, everyone agrees they are a threat — but don’t we have some responsibility toward the refugees fleeing the combat? If we’ve been arming Syrian rebels, shouldn’t we also be helping the people trying to get out of their way? If we’ve failed to broker peace in Syria, can’t we help the people who can’t wait for peace any longer?

- It’s not just the United States that keeps pretending the refugee catastrophe is a European problem. Look at countries that pride themselves on being havens for the homeless. Canada, where I come from? As few as 1,074 Syrians, as of August. Australia? No more than 2,200. Brazil? Fewer than 2,000, as of May.

- The worst are the petro states. As of last count by Amnesty International, how many Syrian refugees have the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia taken in? Zero. Many of them have been funneling arms into Syria for years, and what have they done to give new homes to the four million people trying to flee? Nothing.

- Blaming the Europeans is an alibi and the rest of our excuses like the refugees don’t have the right papers — are sickening.

- So why are our leaders — President Obama, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Prime Minister Tony Abbott and President Dilma Rousseff and others — doing so little? Resettling refugees, they fear, will trigger an even greater exodus, and they don’t know how their teams could handle the chaos that would result. Tough, resourceful management — clear quotas for Syrian refugees (especially those with young families), simplified procedures and a commitment to airlift people out quickly — could solve these problems.

Here the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/o...rod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&_r=2
Dan, it feels as though the world doesnt care. They have turned their back on the problem which has been festering in the area since early last year. :( :( but when the problem gets large enough no one will be able to remain untouched. Its scary. Chopped heads rolling, women and children being kidnapped and raped, are we in the 21st century, I wonder..