Analysis of Mutual Funds

I have attached an excel sheet which contains analysis of some of the mutual funds, including SBI Magnum Global Fund, Magnum Multicap, SBI BlueCHip, Relianace Growth, Sundaram select Midcap,HDFC TOP200. Few of these are treated as TOP funds by Moneycontrol and other sites.

What is my analysis:
I took daily NAVs from amfindia.com for these funds
Then I converted into 100 factor to make them equal
I took NIFTY data also and did the same.
When I observe the result, I find in last three months SBI Magnum Global is worst performaer and Reliance is better of the Lot, only that fund could beat the NIFTY. And Optimix 5star Multi-manager FoF is next one.

Why I chose these funds ?
Just because I have these on my protfolio.

What I want from you?

Instead of seeing the past glory, which might have been achieved due to then existed fund manager, I feel, we should look at the present performance for fresh investment.

Can any body do such analysis for other top funds/ or any other funds to arrive at true top performer at present scenario.

Am I asking too much ? If so please excuse me.

Hi Loknathpai,
I saw ur analysis of MFs for past 3 months.
It was a good one and an interesting topic for disucssion.
I have a few suggestions
1) For converstion to base factor of 100 uou could simplify the formula (to save time and effort)
For eg: for StarOptima (31 Jan 07) you could simply do =(sheet1 C3/sheet C2)*100.
2) Current Performance I agree with your idea of looking at the present performance. Whether it is for fresh or adding more units to same fund performance has to be consistent and reliable. That is performance over various periods 6 months, 1 yr, 3yr (short and long) should be more or less consistent. Also note that you cannot judge a fund by 3month or 6 month performance. You have to look at a horizon of 3 years to understand how it performed in various market cycles. Though past performance is not an indicator of future performance, while investing if you go for an existing performing fund the chance of failure is very less. Performance can dip for top funds but it ll recover easily than new/bad funds.

Dear Sridhar

I agree that we should look at 3 years performance

For that we should draw a chart showing fund vis-a-vis benchmark

Unfortunately I could not get the longterm chart.

Provided if I get, i shall post the new chart.

If the Fund chart is predominantly above the benchmark chart then we can accept that fund is worth for investing.

If anybody can do this charting exercise, I shall be greatful to them.

regards

Lokanath

Dear sir, I want invest mufual fund icici income and growth plan for 9 month . becuse i dont have any idea about mufual fund.that's y i select short term. i can proscess that . could you help me plz

yours.
babu

Babu,
I understand that you have selected a scheme for investments. I am not an expert to advise you but I would suggest you to get the details of the scheme's performance before you put your money in to it. But before that have an objective and investment strategy. For that you need to understand how much of money you can save and invest, your risk taking ability and whether you want to invest lump-sum, a small amount or regularly to accumulate a surplus. You also should know your investment horizon and how long you can afford to invest your money.
sridhar

Dear sir, I want invest mufual fund icici income and growth plan for 9 month . becuse i dont have any idea about mufual fund.that's y i select short term. i can proscess that . could you help me plz

yours.
babu

Hi babu,
You investment approach is right. You are investing via SIP and over a reasonable period of time. However, Im not sure if the ICICI income and growth plan u selected is good or not. You may check this in www.valueresearchonline.com to know the funds rating, performance and other details.
Sridhar

Dear mr .Sridhar.

Thank you for your reply.i want invest 1000 rs per month for three years so which one i want to take. could you ass't me plz.

babu