Amibroker Database for NSE stocks

karthikmarar

Dear all,

This forum, with the active contribution of many knowledgeable members of yesterday and today, has been a source of learning for many of us. We have been immensely benefited by such supportive senior members. In continuation of that tradition, we intend to pool-up the knowledge available with different members of this forum for the benefit of all.

In order to be a successful investor / trader, one needs;

1) A good software for doing TA.

2) A reliable data source.

3) Proper organization & regular maintenance of the database so that the charts & signals generated are MEANINGFUL.

4) Proper interpretation of charts & signals. So that the required buy & sell actions may be taken at the right time.

In this process, while there is some awareness / information about others, we felt that point no.3 is under supported.

As the title of this thread "Amibroker Database for NSE stocks" suggests, the data & procedures being posted will be relevant to NSE stocks & directly adaptable into Amibroker TA software only. In view of our limited exposure to BSE, similar exercise for BSE is beyond the scope of this thread. BSE stock traders may however find this thread informative.

Amibroker is a good software & some of it's features of database organization are under-utilized by us & may be some other members of this forum also. We have been working in this direction for some time to trim our databases to get proper vision of stock price movement sector-wise, industry wise and by other considerations. There is hardly any information available for the sector and Industry of the stocks. Even NSE provides such information only for about 500 stocks. We will be sharing our observations in this new thread. Other members who have made similar exercises may review and share their experiences for the good of all.

What we intend to cover in this thread is:

1) Identification & organization of all NSE stocks by sectors & by industries to facilitate sector wise & industry wise studies.

2) Procedure and files for setting up the sectors and Industries In Amibroker.

3) Sector and Industry charts in Amibroker. So that TA can be done on these charts. Discussion and finalization of Enhanced Sectoral charts.

4) Identification of different groups of NSE stocks like Nifty, Junior, Midcap & by others for study.

5) Updates and Database adjustments for splits/ bonus

6) Regular updates on change of symbols.

7) Identification of Sector and Industry and allocation for New Listings.

8) Other issues relevant to the subject & requested by members.

Users may participate actively to pool-up the wealth of information, so as to enable updation of everybody's database.

Please post your comments on scope and for any other features that may be covered in this thread so that this may become the one point source of information as far as Amibroker & NSE are concerned.

We hope that this thread will benefit all the Amibroker users in the forum.

Warm regards

Karthik & Murthymsr

murthymsr

Deal Karthik,

Thanks for the first post starting the thread. We will make it together to get the desired experience to users. To my knowledge, this is the first thread in this forum in the collaborative format, I hope users may like it.

Dear members,

A lot is already said by Karthik about the thread, so I will talk something else. 

Knowledge is the only thing that multiplies (increases) by division (distribution). But be careful. what all you may get as knowledge or expertise, may not be really so. Recent findings by SEBI has shown that an advice paid or free may or may not benefit you.

In trading, somebody has to pay for your profits, else you pay for his profits. so, please do not run after tips. trade with knowledge. trade with confidence. trade with dignity.

Exercise caution & all the best.

murthymsr

Dear Karthik & Murthyji;

Thanks for starting such a nice Thread.
I am using Amibroker (Free) software & I like to learn all the possible afl's & analysis before purchasing it.

So I am eager to get the knowledge in this regard.

Thanks.

murthymsr

Dear Karthik & Murthyji;

Thanks for starting such a nice Thread.
I am using Amibroker (Free) software & I like to learn all the possible afl's & analysis before purchasing it.

So I am eager to get the knowledge in this regard.

Thanks.
dear ger06,

thanks for the interest in the thread. as already ponted out by karthik, we need a good database to be able to get a dependable outcome out of TA with Amibroker.

the symbols of some companies may change due to change of company name or for other reasons. as an example, the symbol of Aban Offshore Ltd. was ABANLOYD earlier, but was changed to ABAN with effect from 18-aug-2006. the ABANLOYD chart will be shown upto 17-aug-2006 only & NOT beyond. ABAN charts stsrts from 18-aug-2006.

through SYMBOL >> MERGE, we have to join the data of the two symbols.

in a subsequent post this will be dealt with in detail.

thanks

karthikmarar

Hi All

Yes, Like Murthy pointed out it is very important to have clean database before we start allocating the Sector and Industry to the stocks.

So first we have to clean up our databases before we proceed. The basic things to do will be as follows

1.Correct for all symbol changes and delete the old symbols from the database.

2.Correct for all splits and bonus.

3.Verify that our stock list match with the NSE lists.

Murthy will cover these in detail in subsequent posts.

Meanwhile just to give you an idea what we are working for, I am enclosing some screen shots…

Warm regards

Karthik

Last edited:

murthymsr

hi all,

if may be annoyingly repeated, but database purity is very important to any FRUITFUL Technical analysis.

in NSE, securities are traded in different series. EQ & BE series must be enough for most of the people. so we would base our discussion based on this assumption. after downloading the EOD list from NSE, the EOD converter may use the logic that all series except EQ & BE are deleted before convertion. the EOD converter developed by pkjha of this forum has this facility to select EQ & BE series only. may be others also have this facility. for the differerent EOD converters & other software available at this forum, you may visit the link:

http://www.traderji.com/54514-post1.html

the next issue is symbols that have changed since the first day of your database. due to change in symbols, chart for each symbol is shown partially against the old symbol & the rest against the new symbol.

to know all the symbols presently in your database, you may run the AllMySymbols.AFL attached to this post. it will display all the symbols found inyour database. i have done this exercise on my database & the symbols found in my database are also attached as AllMySymbols.txt. a typical NSE symbol database of EQ & series will contain about 994 symbols as on date. (this number was amtching with karthik's database also, hense you may count on this number.)

HOW to run the AFL?

rename the AllMysymbolsafl.txt file to AllMySymbols.afl
Place the file AllMySymbols.afl in ...\Amibroker\Formulas\custom
Go to ANALYSIS >> Automatic Analysis
click on 'Pick' & select AllMysymbols.afl
select Apply to 'All symbols'
select Range 'All quotations

Press 'SCAN'
you will get the list of ALL symbols in your database, with the total number in the STATUS bar. you may export the list into a file & save if you like.

this number of total stocks in the database will give a rough idea of symbol changes & other imperfections in the database.

hope this write is useful. if you have any comments / suggestions, please post.

the procedure for incorporating changed symbols into Amibroker will be brought out in the next post.

all the best.
murthymsr

Last edited:
Dear Sirs,

I like to set up my portfolio in Amibroker. In this regard I have faced some difficulties such as brokerage.
Different rates are charged by different brokers. As I bought few stocks thr' HDFC & few thro' ICICIDIRECT at different rates but the software accepts only one rate for all the stocks.
Further, new shares bought are not added in the stocks which I bought previously.
And how to get the report / analysis of portfolio with gains/returns?

Thanks.

asnavale

Dear Sirs,

I like to set up my portfolio in Amibroker. In this regard I have faced some difficulties such as brokerage.
Different rates are charged by different brokers. As I bought few stocks thr' HDFC & few thro' ICICIDIRECT at different rates but the software accepts only one rate for all the stocks.
Further, new shares bought are not added in the stocks which I bought previously.
And how to get the report / analysis of portfolio with gains/returns?

Thanks.

Hi ger06,

Ami apparently supports only one portfolio with a single brokerage model. The only solution I can think of is to enter the prices inclusive of brokerage and taxes. This information you get in your tradebook. Enter zero for the brokerage etc in AmiBroker portfolio. No idea how to overcome this problem. I am entering the Total cost after adding the brokerage and taxes to the purchase price and subtracting from selling price.

-Anant

murthymsr

Procedure for incorporating changed symbols into Amibroker database:

this procedure can be adopted after atleast one quote is there with the new symbol.
select the new symbol through the symbol combo-box.

GoTo >> Symbol >> Merge ...

a window with the title 'Merge Quotes' opens up with the current symbol pre-entered in the Destination field.

select the old symbol with the help of the combo-box against the 'merge with'.

you may check "Overwrite duplicate quotes" & "Delete 'merge with' security afterwards"

Press OK ; done.

now you will get the full chart with the new symbol & the old symbol is deleted.

NSE regularly updates a link from where the changed symbols & their data can be downloaded. the link is given below & also the contents as on today are sorted on change date with the latest change at the top. you may change the extension of symbolchange to .csv & open in excel.

http://www.nse-india.com/content/equities/symbolchange.csv

the next post deals with updating the database with the splits / bonus.

all the best.
MurthyMSR

Last edited: