Algo platforms

raj fb

Which is the best platform for automated trading in India? I'm hearing of so many brokers offering different platforms....how reliable are they?

It depends on what kind of automated algo capabilities you are looking for. If it is HFT, there is uTrade, Tower Research, iRageCapital, etc. If you are looking for implementing your own algo in perl/python (or get it developed for a cost), there is quantindia.in . Many freelancers can also help you to do everything in excel - see Zerodha's developer forum. If you are looking at desktop trading automation, there are so many tools - ODIN, Omnesys NEST, Presto ATS and so on.

trendtrade

niftytrader12
Which is the best platform for automated trading in India? I'm hearing of so many brokers offering different platforms....how reliable are they?
raj, checkout this thread - http://www.traderji.com/community/t...in-amibroker-to-nest-now-their-reviews.97380/
it has good information in this regards.

It depends on what kind of automated algo capabilities you are looking for. If it is HFT, there is uTrade, Tower Research, iRageCapital, etc. If you are looking for implementing your own algo in perl/python (or get it developed for a cost), there is quantindia.in . Many freelancers can also help you to do everything in excel - see Zerodha's developer forum. If you are looking at desktop trading automation, there are so many tools - ODIN, Omnesys NEST, Presto ATS and so on.
@ramatius, Thanks for this information. Have you practically tried doing any auto trading stuff in the Indian Markets ? What is your experience ? Which particular tools did you use or try ?

Are you mentioning about this forum of zerodha - https://kite.trade/forum/discussions or some other forum ?

I would personally suggest that going with very cheap auto trading vendors could be extremely risky. We could loose big because of some glitch or fault from the vendor side. So it is better to go with a reputed and tested vendor for auto trading purpose.

Regards

Disclosure: I am associated with quantindia.in

I've been doing algo trading for the past 5+ years. Have tried many things - excel-based trading, own .NET desktop app, Zerodha NEST, Zerodah Pi, ... I believe algo trading is a great way to trade and it should be fully automated - no manual intervention whatsoever.

Have even coded s/w to extract real time data from broker terminals. :)

Most of the commercial platforms such as amibroker, metastock, Omnesys NEST, etc. provide proprietary scripting languages. I learnt the hard way that if you try doing something different from "standard indicators", you will have to do lot of work to get it working. For example, mixing of candle sizes, trading same algo on different segments, creating your own indicators, money management, what-if analysis, etc.

Suppose you simply want to implement a custom-made trend following strategy without any standard indicator. This may (surprisingly) be nearly impossible to do to your full satisfaction in many tools. Sometimes, just creating an Options trading symbol string may prove very difficult!

I call it the "algo-on-rails" problem - tools work great as long as you code within their way of scripting. Anything outside, you can get really stuck.

Suppose you get it working well and you want to invite your friends/traders to use it. Then everyone has to have their own separate installation & you will have to share your code. IP is gone. You don't even know how much they are actually making (or losing) to pay your profit sharing.

These are some of the reasons why quantindia.in was born - limit-free, fully automated, subscription-based algo trading, coded in perl/python scripts with complete online tracking.

Will share more as time permits.

Happy trading!

trendtrade

niftytrader12
Hi @ramatius, thanks for your reply.

What is your experience related to professional tools like Multicharts and Ninjatrader and Amibroker etc ? Have you tried them for auto trading in India ? Multicharts is very robust and its programming language "Easy Language" can express complex logic into code easily, plus there are tons of codes already available online, so you do not have to code everything from scratch. What do you say ?

Regards

I have used Amibroker, not others. Have used Zerodha Pi for auto-trading in India. Now directly using their APIs.

No idea about multicharts and easylanguage. I am sure they must be good. However, it is my experience that these scripting languages can't match the expressive power of a general purpose scripting language such as Python or Perl. I have made the switch years ago.

@trendtrade Have you tried the available easylanguage scripts in India and backtested them? Are you able to make real money from them? If yes then I will dive into it right away!

mastermind007

Disclosure: I am associated with quantindia.in

I've been doing algo trading for the past 5+ years. Have tried many things - excel-based trading, own .NET desktop app, Zerodha NEST, Zerodah Pi, ... I believe algo trading is a great way to trade and it should be fully automated - no manual intervention whatsoever.

Have even coded s/w to extract real time data from broker terminals. :)

Most of the commercial platforms such as amibroker, metastock, Omnesys NEST, etc. provide proprietary scripting languages. I learnt the hard way that if you try doing something different from "standard indicators", you will have to do lot of work to get it working. For example, mixing of candle sizes, trading same algo on different segments, creating your own indicators, money management, what-if analysis, etc.

Suppose you simply want to implement a custom-made trend following strategy without any standard indicator. This may (surprisingly) be nearly impossible to do to your full satisfaction in many tools. Sometimes, just creating an Options trading symbol string may prove very difficult!

I call it the "algo-on-rails" problem - tools work great as long as you code within their way of scripting. Anything outside, you can get really stuck.

Suppose you get it working well and you want to invite your friends/traders to use it. Then everyone has to have their own separate installation & you will have to share your code. IP is gone. You don't even know how much they are actually making (or losing) to pay your profit sharing.

These are some of the reasons why quantindia.in was born - limit-free, fully automated, subscription-based algo trading, coded in perl/python scripts with complete online tracking.

Will share more as time permits.

Happy trading!
Would love to disagree.
Every trading language has a standard layer as well as advanced layer.
Standard is what you've described as "within their way of scripting."
You do need correct understanding to make it work.