Afin's trading diary

I have long cherished to open a trading diary. This is my shot at it.

The asset classes I would trade would primarily be equities on short term delivery basis and the energy specific commodities - crude oil and natural gas on the MCX exchange. I will be avoiding trades in options to the extent possible- both stock and index because of reasons I had always mentioned on this forum in various previous posts.

Method used would be revealed in a period of 4 to 6 months from now with explanations in a publicly available, sharable google sheet for members of the forum to comment and critique.

I had been on a 2 month break from my day job due to medical reasons and have quit the organization. I am currently in between jobs and am expected to join the new organization in the coming fortnight. It is upto me when to join :D So for want of funds, I would initially be doing paper trades, like I would with my normal money on the line and would also be using the same methodology and money management strategies. Once actual money is on the line, I would make it clear. Until that point is reached, all trades taken should be assumed to be using virtual cash alone.

Please also expect this thread to have one odd random musing here and there :)

The main trend on crude oil is down since the EIA inventory report yesterday. So there was a fundamental basis to it. The main trend is still down. I am tempted to short from here. Will therefore short at 4210 MCX price.

1558615773637.png

The main trend on crude oil is down since the EIA inventory report yesterday. So there was a fundamental basis to it. The main trend is still down. I am tempted to short from here. Will therefore short at 4210 MCX price.

View attachment 35067

View attachment 35067
I'd like a winning start to this, so I am booking at 4170 and exiting for now. The price could be observed to dip a bit further down once the US markets open. But am outta this trade for now :)

Some scrips I am interested in buying when the opportunity for it arises. Please note that I will only enter on dips, when the said scrip corrects, in no particular order.
  1. Pidilite
  2. Bajaj Finance
  3. Greaves Cotton
  4. State Bank of India
  5. DCB Bank
  6. IDFC First Bank
  7. MCX
  8. IEX
IEX is my favourite of the lot along with Greaves Cotton. I like the sectors these two companies operate in. These two would be long term holds and buys as well for me.

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
Some scrips I am interested in buying when the opportunity for it arises. Please note that I will only enter on dips, when the said scrip corrects, in no particular order.
  1. Pidilite
  2. Bajaj Finance
  3. Greaves Cotton
  4. State Bank of India
  5. DCB Bank
  6. IDFC First Bank
  7. MCX
  8. IEX
IEX is my favourite of the lot along with Greaves Cotton. I like the sectors these two companies operate in. These two would be long term holds and buys as well for me.
So you are heavy on the side of finance and energy.Might as well try to explore other sectors to balance the portfolio.

So you are heavy on the side of finance and energy.Might as well try to explore other sectors to balance the portfolio.
Thanks for the observation. I did not personally notice this bias until you pointed out for me. As usual, your insights are invaluable as ever :)

Crude seems to be making some kind of a slight recovery, although the main trend is still down. I will go ahead and buy when the market opens.

1558666523197.png

It should however be noted that the outlook is still negative at the moment with bearish sentiment overhanging.

1558666975390.png

Last edited:
throw in some FMCG to the mix...

I think IEX is at it's low as of now.
Not particularly a fan of FMCG. I absolutely do not like the idea of idiots graduating from IITs who go unto IIMs who in turn join these big FMCGs to sell hair oil and shampoos. To me it is a sheer waste of tax rupees flushed down the drain. So for that reason alone, I had decided long back to not invest/ trade in FMCGs. It is a sector I would avoid even if it gave me a 10x return in a single year.

It is time to close crude longs and enter shorts. The corresponding MCX price is 4082 at the moment.

1558692735323.png