about selling stocks short

Hi
I have been using ICICIdirect and I know that I cannot short a stock except on intraday basis. My traditional broker allows it for upto a month usually. Those of you who use 5paisa.com or indiabulls or sharekhan, do these allow you to sell stocks short for a longer period than just intraday? I mean can you sell a stock short for let's say 10 days or so? Do they charge anything extra for this?
Thanks
Abhinav

found the answer partially.. 5paisa doesnt allow.. but i did find some posts on the net which claim that indiabulls and sharekhan do.. can anyone using either of these comment?
thanks

Hi Traderji,
I am also having problem like Abhinav, can anyone suggest which broker allows for short sell in cash segment. I would like to have Traderji or CV or any Senior members coment that will help us a lot.

Thanks,
Vijay

:eek: i think that is againt the rules of NSE. the very name intraday suggests such an option is not allowed. I had paid twice penalty when around 3.25pm the power went of before i could square off (TVS electronics scrip) and my brokers line was full due to last minute calls. I was later on told that clicking "all square off" will not work on this scrip. it has to be closed or squred off individually. i learnt going for short selling and waiting for the last minute is very dangerous. Another dangerous area is the Trade to trade area. here short selling is equivalent to red cloth to the bull. you are finished.

Traderji

Super Moderator
vijayashankar said:
Hi Traderji,
I am also having problem like Abhinav, can anyone suggest which broker allows for short sell in cash segment. I would like to have Traderji or CV or any Senior members coment that will help us a lot.

Thanks,
Vijay
At the moment you cannot have short sell overnight positions. You will have to wait for the exchanges to introduce stock lending and borrowing, then it will be possible.

Right now uou can only short sell intra-day or in the Futures market.

marcus

abhinav said:
Hi
I have been using ICICIdirect and I know that I cannot short a stock except on intraday basis. My traditional broker allows it for upto a month usually. Those of you who use 5paisa.com or indiabulls or sharekhan, do these allow you to sell stocks short for a longer period than just intraday? I mean can you sell a stock short for let's say 10 days or so? Do they charge anything extra for this?
Thanks
Abhinav

How can you short sell in the cash segment for upto a month if SEBI doesn't permit it. I thought short selling or borrowing stock for beyond the settlement cycle was not permitted in india