Votes: 20 11.3%
  • Behavoiral articles

Votes: 46 26.0%

• Total voters

Snake.Head

http://bigthink.com/videos/jesse-itzler-on-living-with-a-navy-seal
http://lifehacker.com/how-and-why-to-develop-your-mental-toughness-1619305771

Cultivate Mental Toughness With the Navy SEAL's "40 Percent Rule"
Developing mental toughness isn’t just about being resilient. It’s also about learning to access your reserve tank when you think you just can’t go any further.

We all think we know our limits. Whether you’re exercising, studying, or just trying to break a bad habit, there’s always that moment when you feel like tapping out. To get past that point, Jesse Itzler at Big Think explains a perspective-altering rule he learned from a Navy SEAL who came to live with for a month

Read full article on link too big to post here

Last edited:

amitrandive

http://bigthink.com/videos/jesse-itzler-on-living-with-a-navy-seal
http://lifehacker.com/how-and-why-to-develop-your-mental-toughness-1619305771

Cultivate Mental Toughness With the Navy SEAL's "40 Percent Rule"
Developing mental toughness isn’t just about being resilient. It’s also about learning to access your reserve tank when you think you just can’t go any further.

We all think we know our limits. Whether you’re exercising, studying, or just trying to break a bad habit, there’s always that moment when you feel like tapping out. To get past that point, Jesse Itzler at Big Think explains a perspective-altering rule he learned from a Navy SEAL who came to live with for a month

Read full article on link too big to post here

Some good Excerpts

You cannot control everything that comes your way, but you are in absolute control of how you react to it.

You can't get stronger if you stay in your comfort zone at all times.
Mental strength is like muscle strength—no one has an unlimited supply. So why waste your power on things you can't control? For some people, it's politics. For others, it's family. For others, it's global warming. Whatever it is, you care, and you want others to care. Do what you can do. Be your own change—but don't try to make everyone else change.

When your mind is telling you you’re done, you’re really only 40 percent done. And he had a motto: If it doesn’t suck we don’t do it. And that was his way of every day forcing us to get uncomfortable to figure out what our baseline was and what our comfort level was and just turning it upside-down. The 40 percent rule — maybe it’s give or take a little — but look at a marathon. Most people hit the wall in a marathon at mile anywhere from 16 to 20. And, you know, 99 percent of the people in this country that run marathons finish and they all, predominantly all of them go through this, hit the wall. So where does that extra 50 or 60 percent or whatever the number is come from? I mean it’s their brain saying, "I’m done; I don’t want to continue," but their will saying, "You know what? Let me get to the finish line." So we all have that will. It’s just a matter of how do we apply it to not just with the once a year marathon, but to our daily lives to make it apply to a variety of things.

amitrandive

“You Don't Get What You Deserve. You Get What You Negotiate.”

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/you-...rce=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Ideally, we’d all earn what we deserve and our employers would give us raises according to our skill level, experience, and professional value—we’d never even have to ask. Of course, reality doesn’t usually work out that way. As author Chester Karrass has said: “You don’t get what you deserve. You get what you negotiate.”

live by these words each time I strive to earn and save more. A story I often share is the one about doubling my salary when changing jobs back in 2006. I was up for the senior video correspondent role at TheStreet.com.

At the time, I was earning around $45,000 at my TV news job as a producer and sometimes-on-camera reporter. And, crazy as it sounds, I asked to more than double my salary with the new gig. I asked for $100,000.

My manager offered $85,000 (which would have been an incredible raise!). But I replied, “How about we agree to $90,000 right now and I don’t bother you in six months?” Next thing I heard? “We’ve got a deal. Welcome to TheStreet!”

It’s easy to get upset that your employer isn’t paying you what you believe you deserve, but getting upset doesn’t do much good. Negotiating, on the other hand, can make a difference.

amitrandive

Sometimes life steps in and you simply must deal with it. How you see your life, your situation and circumstances that you cannot control or change, is determined by your point of view. Decide to be a positive, loving person.

Choose to act, instead of reacting, especially when surrounded by drama, chaos and stress. You are stronger and more courageous than you may feel at times. You have the power to find peace, acceptance and courage in the worst of circumstances. Take the high road and deal with it. You have GREATNESS within you!

Les Brown