A missed opportunity in natural gas

sumantra

A blunder leads to plunder:-
I have bought 1 lot of natural gas on 19/11/13 at Rs.231/-. Maintain the position till yesterday 4:30 PM .But the panic made by a fall at 4:50PM had forced me to square off my position at 232.5/-.I am a newbie in commodity
market. Have to bleed for ignorence. Could anyone tell me where i should get the "primary education" on commodity market ?
I have started trading from 28/11/13 and suffered a loss of 11900/-. Want to recover my loss at any cost. Could anyone guide me ? :confused:

ashu1234

I have bought 1 lot of natural gas on 19/11/13 at Rs.231/-. Maintain the position till yesterday 4:30 PM .But the panic made by a fall at 4:50PM had forced me to square off my position at 232.5/-.I am a newbie in commodity
market. Have to bleed for ignorence. Could anyone tell me where i should get the "primary education" on commodity market ?
I have started trading from 28/11/13 and suffered a loss of 11900/-. Want to recover my loss at any cost. Could anyone guide me ? :confused:
Hi,
I think you meant to say you started trading before 28/11/2013 as this date is yet to come....
Seems 12k amount that you loose is a big deal for you given the loss made in short period of time. First of all before setting out to recover your loss at any cost, please keep in mind the margin requirements and additional m2m required to trade. For trading in mcx ideally one should have minimum of 50K as capital to trade atleast 1 lot of metals/energy scripts. If you don't fulfill this criteria then please don't panic, take some time to learn and make capital and then venture out.
Now about learning commodities, there is no clear cut handbook where you can learn it all, you have to do with learning international commodities through external sources(all free). If you are specially interested in trading Natural Gas than please read my thread about Natural gas, though i haven't updated it since ages but still you might find it useful. And believe me it takes time to learn and understand everything, you just can't follow anybody to make up your loss or learn -- it might take a year or two if you are totally new under guidance.

sumantra

Hi,
I think you meant to say you started trading before 28/11/2013 as this date is yet to come....
Seems 12k amount that you loose is a big deal for you given the loss made in short period of time. First of all before setting out to recover your loss at any cost, please keep in mind the margin requirements and additional m2m required to trade. For trading in mcx ideally one should have minimum of 50K as capital to trade atleast 1 lot of metals/energy scripts. If you don't fulfill this criteria then please don't panic, take some time to learn and make capital and then venture out.
Now about learning commodities, there is no clear cut handbook where you can learn it all, you have to do with learning international commodities through external sources(all free). If you are specially interested in trading Natural Gas than please read my thread about Natural gas, though i haven't updated it since ages but still you might find it useful. And believe me it takes time to learn and understand everything, you just can't follow anybody to make up your loss or learn -- it might take a year or two if you are totally new under guidance.
Please give me the link.

Tamil trader

You need to learn more before putting your real money in the market....

read the thread in energy segment "crude oil is a human"

this may be useful for understanding my experience in crude oil

deepakkukrety

first of all I wud say come out of this desperation of ' recovering losses at any cost'...In doing so I promise you will loose further and may go bankrupt.... market is a place where people exchange knowledge and money... experienced guys who have knowledge exchange their knowledge for money and newbies without knowledge exchange their money....

I feel without technical analysis u cnt survive in this mkt. So start with TA..Start with a book on TA like "Technical analysis on financial markets" by JOHN MURPHY...its a bible of TA...after learning open a demo account with FX.com or ny other foreign site..trade their..if u suceed then only go live... Remember trading is not a lottery ticket..so be careful..

all the best..

ashu1234

Please give me the link.
Hi,
Its not a single link, its a bunch of sites where you can read fundamental commentary. If I give you all the links to look for the info you'll get confused. Decide first what you want to trade. Choose how you want to trade, you can trade it either with fundamental or technical or combination of both. For technical analysis traderji is full of systems, you'll find many and don't need to go anywhere else.
For fundamental, you have to do a lot of digging, best way is to read daily and weekly analysis, macro events which are available at sites like bloomberg.com, kitco.com/kitcometals.com where you find pdf reports explaining and highlighting fundamental's of every commodity, again all the fundamental's don't affect the price in a straight simple way, you have to use your own judgement before taking decisions. In addition to that also read localized technical/fundamental reports which are available for free on daily/weekly basis on big brokerage house. Some brokerage house are Ventura, Anand Rathi, Nirmal Bang, Angel Broking, India infoline....browse these sites for their reports and you will get some hold of different factors affecting markets on daily basis. It will take some years to grasp it, but its the only way you can get your share of knowledge without any others help.
Hope it helps....

TraderPRO

Please give me the link.
While going through the guidelines offered by Ashu, I would like you to consider one point from my experience.

While making profit is the goal of every trader, Loss is inevitable in the trading especially high in the early days. Making a loss in the market is part of the game. One has to make sure not to lose the capital to stay in the business. Trying to recover the losses is trying to find a coin dropped in the ocean. This would,most of the times, lead to revenge trading and further losses.

hope this makes sense.:)

sumantra

Hi,
Its not a single link, its a bunch of sites where you can read fundamental commentary. If I give you all the links to look for the info you'll get confused. Decide first what you want to trade. Choose how you want to trade, you can trade it either with fundamental or technical or combination of both. For technical analysis traderji is full of systems, you'll find many and don't need to go anywhere else.
For fundamental, you have to do a lot of digging, best way is to read daily and weekly analysis, macro events which are available at sites like bloomberg.com, kitco.com/kitcometals.com where you find pdf reports explaining and highlighting fundamental's of every commodity, again all the fundamental's don't affect the price in a straight simple way, you have to use your own judgement before taking decisions. In addition to that also read localized technical/fundamental reports which are available for free on daily/weekly basis on big brokerage house. Some brokerage house are Ventura, Anand Rathi, Nirmal Bang, Angel Broking, India infoline....browse these sites for their reports and you will get some hold of different factors affecting markets on daily basis. It will take some years to grasp it, but its the only way you can get your share of knowledge without any others help.
Hope it helps....
I have tried RSI and Bollinger Bands to track the movement of Natural Gas . But these have not yielded the desired results. Then i have tried Weather forecast,exchange rate(USD/INR) and volume ,which have given me better result. But some posts in the moneycontrol's message board panicked me, otherwise i could have made a profit of Rs-6500/- against a loss of 7500/- which i have to supplied as margin obligation. It is a real folly "after swimming through the ocean, sinking in a potwhole".