30M tracking of Supertrend in Nifty and Bank Nifty

DSM

BankNifty Short Closed at 11,305 (Short close signal at 11,295) Current price tick is 11,303
We are long at the same price. i.e 11,305

Nifty Long Open Current 6,255
Bank Nifty Long Closed 11,240

Bank Nifty Short Triggered @ 11,240

Will update XL tracker later

DSM

Cubt, In realtime, I would not go short basis ST even if signaled, but took trade in the direction of the trend (long), and am trailing with closer SL. The classic question for a trader - Trend is up, signal is down what should one do? After a run up, it would be expected that ST or MA would taper down and price would move below signal, as it happened, but a short was not a high probability trade especially on 30M basis. Intra-day would have been fine. So to answer your question - this exercise is a study to track the system (blindly basis signal generated) live, while I personally, am using discretion - so the answer is yes and no both. :) Yes, basis signal in direction of the trend, no, basis reversal signal ignored.

Edit : I have said it in my first post - This is to test THEORITICAL entries and exits and follow blindly - in realtime i.e live.

Dear Dsm, u r paper trading this strategy or its real trading?

DSM

Nifty SL Triggered @ 6,244 (current price 6,249 - 5 points considered slippage)

Edit : Bar not closed below, and moved up, but exit taken.

DSM

Update on 30M 2ST Perfomance so far :

Nifty / 1 Trade / 99 Points / No open position**
Bank Nifty / 3 Trades, 1 trade SL / 375 points / 1 Long position open)

** Reason for Long trade not taken :

As per the system we are to trade SAR, and so we had to wait for the 30M bar to close below the signal. However, I had a few trades going on, and was not in a position to monitor the trade, and hence closed the long position. Also did not think it was prudent to go short, as I considered the price below the signal to be of consolidation that did not warrant a short position, considering the trend was up.

From experience I have observed that it is not prudent to short on the first 2-3 contra signals after a trending up/down move, and they are better ignore.

Having said the above, my intention was to post trade live as they happened. But as was pointed out by Raj, it will affect my trades as well. So I need to compromise here, and will track trade live and make notes for entry / exit with reasons thereof, but will post when I can, and it may be even EOD and not live.

One learning from this is that though the system will signal SAR, I am reluctant to take the same, as I have seen that they are bound to fail. It is preferable to be out of long position and book profit, but that is not the same as a call for being short.

Just my views.....

Nifty SL Triggered @ 6,244 (current price 6,249 - 5 points considered slippage)

Edit : Bar not closed below, and moved up, but exit taken.

rkkarnani

Nifty Entry @ 6,145, presently @ 6,241 SAR 6,224
BankNifty Entry @ 10,960, presently @ 11,307 SAR 11,236

Nifty profit 96 points
BankNifty profit 347 points

For AASM we will trail and exit @ 50% profit.

Nifty TSL 6,193
BankNifty TSL 11,134
The above post of yours is at 10:30 AM on 30th Oct. DSM, when I tried to apply Supertrend with 2,10 on a 30 min Intraday Nifty Chart, the Supertrend value on close of 10:30 bar is : 6196 ! So how come SAR is mentioned at 6224 ! Am I overlooking anything.
In fact I find that this Long trade that got initiated on 29th Oct at around 6140 is still long. I could not find anywhere where NF has even come near the ST except today, when the 3 PM bar made a low of 6242 whereas ST value then was 6240.50 ! In my chart price did not even touch the ST so no question of closing below !

DSM

RKK Sir,

You may be right as per your data.... I am using Sharekhan. I believe that the time of the bar start differs as per your and my system. But that should not matter... None of the time bar is a holy grail or perfect. So that should be fine.. and basis different timebar, you are not overlooking anything.

Re. closing of long position, I have already posted, that since I was busy watching options trade, I closed the long, though as per our system we needed a confirmation that the price had to close below the signal bar. (Also posted that even if SAR signal is generated, after a directional run, it is not advisable to take it, as by experience it has proved to be a low probability trade)

My 2C

The above post of yours is at 10:30 AM on 30th Oct. DSM, when I tried to apply Supertrend with 2,10 on a 30 min Intraday Nifty Chart, the Supertrend value on close of 10:30 bar is : 6196 ! So how come SAR is mentioned at 6224 ! Am I overlooking anything.
In fact I find that this Long trade that got initiated on 29th Oct at around 6140 is still long. I could not find anywhere where NF has even come near the ST except today, when the 3 PM bar made a low of 6242 whereas ST value then was 6240.50 ! In my chart price did not even touch the ST so no question of closing below !