yStock - Realtime Charts & EOD downloads

murthymsr

sivavkm said:
Evenafter logged on to yahoo? i didnt notice that.. will check it out. Different yahoo server option can be added... working on the options screen.

Thanks & Regards
Siva
yes, even after logging on to yahoo. what i observed, you may not be able to observe, as i am in india and you are in gulf.

yahoo looks to be having an interesting algorithm about diverting/ rerouting the browser requests. i noticed that sometimes, my browser requests to yahoo finance india are getting diverted to australia, particularly in the afternoon times, by which time australian stock exchanges are closed. this may be to optimise the capacity utilization of servers for the best possible performance.

your proposal to add the yahoo server options is welcome. the server-wise performance index may be generated within the program so that ultimately an auto/ manual-advance on server selection may emerge.

all the best.
MurthyMSR

Dear All

Checkout the attached beta version of yStock 1.2.2 beta RC1 (6 Aug 2006). You should download both rar files, and unRar it to get the updated program files.

Hope i covered most of the suggestions from murthymsr. Beta feature:- Excel web query technique is implemented, sothat users can define their own web address & table, program will retrieve data from this address.

For a new installation, support files can be downloaded from http://rapidshare.de/files/25627865/ysupp.msi.html

Waiting your comments

Thanks & Regards
Siva

Last edited:

murthymsr

sivavkm said:
Dear All

Checkout this beta version of yStock 1.2.2 beta RC1 (6 Aug 2006).

Hope i covered most of the suggestions from murthymsr. Beta feature:- Excel web query technique is implemented, sothat users can define their own web address & table, program will retrieve data from this address.

For a new installation, support files can be downloaded from http://rapidshare.de/files/25627865/ysupp.msi.html

Waiting your comments

Thanks & Regards
Siva
dear siva,
thanks for bringing out the next version, with requested features/ suggestions.

i have tried to install the new version at a different folder location and made the following observations.

1) the part01 file apparantly contains ystock.exe file of size about 32,768 bytes and and ystock.mdb of size 172,032 bytes. when i decompressed into the new desired folder, it has saved , in addition to the above two files, the ystock.pbd also, which was actually contained in the part02. hope this is in order and posted in two parts in view of the size limit of 100kb at the forum. please confirm that this is in order.

2) while having a first look at the program (help menu), i found that the readme text, was not there & the program has created a new (blank) readme.txt file. may be i am supposed to overwrite in the same program loacation as earlier. please confirm that there is no new readme.txt prepared with new features added and that i am supposed to decompress into the same program folder as earlier.

3) when i started the nuw version, i got my old portfolio lists restored. these lists still appear to be saved into the system files. please comment/advice.

all the best.
MurthyMSR

murthymsr

dear siva,
in continuation of my earlier post, i have copied the yStockReadme.txt from the earlier version and the old help is available. the program is working as envisaged by you without any hitch.

as i started exploring, i must say that the new webquery feature is the one that fascinated me the most. it was a surprise addition to this program. thanks a lot. i am exploring the webquery feature to access the yahoo portfolio pages. hope i will be able to make it through.

the other tabs envisaged in the options namely general, chart & watchlist, when implemented, will make this program, a complete one. a gift from you to the members of this forum.

thanks and may God bless you.

MurthyMSR

murthymsr

sivavkm said:
Dear murthymsr,
BTW, Do we need an auto-refresh option? ( for webquery)
it is a very interesting proposition. my answer is yes, if we could successfuly get the yahoo portfolio after logging in & checking 'remember me on this computer' and in that case, would also request you for TXT export for putting into TA software. ;)

Did you notice any other behaviour changes/abnormality ? :)
my earlier post was only a spontaneous response. another with more observations, if any, will follow in a day.

thanks for the software.
MurthyMSR

beginner_av

Dear Siva.

Congrats for your excellent work. This is one of the most amazing thing that I have seen. It is astonishing that you have actually managed to give this beautiful tool for free.

Some points:
This is extremely useful for index as yahoo updates it in "real-time". But for stocks there is a 15 min delay. But since yahoo doesnt give Nifty Futures data it is not at all useful to trade the Nifty as we dont know the basis (backwardation or contango ok ok i mean discount or premium to future...the reverse here as the spot is available).

Now without offending you I would like to add something for people out here who crave for everything.

1. Please use this excellent program as a learning tool, do not trade on its basis, as it is dependent (as clearly mentioned by siva) on Yahoo giving its quotes for free.

2. Any good broker will give you tick by tick data which you can use. If you do not get tick-by-tick data, DO NOT DAYTRADE.

3. As for integrating it with the big software that we are planning, I have serious reservations (Murthy garu your comments required). The reasons are:
i. I feel we should keep charting and data download separate. This will enable us to use any data source available (fictitious examble, Reliance may give it for free tomorrow). Even if Yahoo stops, we can strive to get it from NSE (lot of HTML stripping requires, I am incapable of doing that).
ii. TA should concentrate on charting, analysis and system development. Without the ability to use some language to develop your own trading system, you will never win in the markets.

beginner_av

general bug

when i right click on the symbol and click chart, RIL comes by default (hard coded). Can u see that it picks the relevant symbol. Thanks in advance

beginner_av

Thnaks siva for resolving the bug. I also forgot to mention about your great work in downloading eod data that many people here would find extremely useful. A request. Your software will be a major hit if we can transfer the minute by minute data to our existing software. And if you are game to put some more man hours, the stock chart and the stock quotes in your s/w shows 15 min delayed data (for stocks, not NIFTY), but the page on yahoo has a link at the bottom called download data. If your timer gets it and puts the data from the .csv file to your software even the stocks quotes can be real time (1 min). The charts though cant be as you have to construct yourself than displaying yahoo data.

puneet108 said:
Hi Siva,
Downloaded YStock.
Good Work, Indeed.

Wanted to find out from you...

what is the refresh rate to expect for Nifty Intraday Chart after being signed in on yahoo, with Remember Me checked.

It is fully understood that your software can configure the refresh rate to the last second, so limitatoin will be at the yahoo end, if any. I am just asking this so that i could peg my expectation to what others are able to achieve with yahoo real time quotes.

General opinion seeing various posts is that its realtime. Fine. but how many seconds is the question.

I am presently using quotetracker with free NSE data and average. refresh rate for Nifty chart is 20 seconds.

take care & once again applaud for good work done.
puneet
Dear puneet,

I dont have a definite answer to this, so i am posting my reply here, may be other users can help you on this.

Hopefully, this weekend i can upload next update of yStock :)

Thanks & Regards
Siva