Zerodha - Number One Discount Broker in India

doshiv

Sachin, If I buy 10 shares of each company in NIFTY 50 at 5500 & sell all those shares when Nifty comes at 6050, will I get overall 10 % profit or it is not in the same proportionate with nifty index ?

Zerodha

Sachin, If I buy 10 shares of each company in NIFTY 50 at 5500 & sell all those shares when Nifty comes at 6050, will I get overall 10 % profit or it is not in the same proportionate with nifty index ?
You need to buy shares in all the 50 nifty stocks in the same proportion as their weightage on index. So if Reliance has 10% weightage and you have Rs 1lk, you need to buy 10k of Reliance, if Nalco is 1% then you need buy 1k of Nalco and so on of all the 50 nifty stocks..

Instead of taking all the effort, you could just buy nifty bees on the exchange which gives you the same effect indirectly.. Nifty bees are ETF's which mirror the Nifty move. More on ETF's here: http://www.zerodha.com/z-connect/blog/view/etf-exchange-traded-funds

@zerodha
What are the chances of NSE and BSE become defaulters like NSEL?
regards,
prakash
NSE is owned and controlled by big, big banks. BSE is owned and controlled by big, big brokers. So, ideally, they shouldn't default. If in the most improbable circumstances they become defaulters, I'm sure they will be bailed out by the government like it happened in the US with Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.

The thing which bothers me most is not the fact that NSE or BSE may default, it's the fact that our currency is losing it's sheen. Everyone would rather have dollars than rupees, so I guess it's going to go down further. What if the country defaults?

Zerodha

@zerodha
What are the chances of NSE and BSE become defaulters like NSEL?
regards,
prakash
hmm chances are always there, anything can happen. There have been governments that have defaulted, so exchanges can happen but chances are very very very very ^Very slim, especially with NSE.

Probably among the best managed exchanges in the world....