Wisdom Dump

C

CreditViolet

"You'll start out with the best of intentions, but you probably won't be able to buck human nature. And even if you do succeed in holding conscientiously to your long-swing basis all the way through, it will be so difficult that you won't have much fun in doing it." - Richard Schabacker

C

CreditViolet

After a man has been around Wall Street for twenty years and watches the actions of traders and listens to what they talk about, he will be convinced that the origin of man was certainly from the monkey or the ape, because the average trader simply apes some leader, repeats what he heard some great man say, believes it and applies it to his own case to increase his hopes or assuage his fears. - Edwin Lefvre

C

CreditViolet

The average trader focuses too much on big payoffs. This is a stock market mentality, i.e., buy it and ride it to the sky, or sell it before the crash. Trading is not about predicting and catching the "big" moves. This is "fantasy" trading. It is the "lottery" approach to trading which, in the end, pays off only for a very, very few. Trading is about "seeing" momentum and positioning with it, "seeing" trend and following it.

The average trader relies too much on feel, on intuition. The possibility that any one of us is a natural market genius is realistically somewhere between zero and none. Accept that you will never be a world class athlete, sing a perfect musical note, or find a theory beyond relativity; and neither will you ever reliably predict the future. But be aware that you can know the past and see the present.

If you're going to trade futures, you might as well do it correctly; and doing it correctly means doing it intelligently. Look at reality. Futures trading is a competition. It is financial warfare. You are trading against thousands of smart, aggressive, extremely well-informed, very well financed, extensively experienced professionals. Look at the facts! Over eighty percent lose; so by definition the average trader (even the well above average trader) is going to lose--eventually. - Chick Goslin

C

CreditViolet

Man looks in the abyss, there’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss - Hal Holbrook

Every trader will be tested emotionally, mentally and monetarily to varying degrees in his career. Most times, it’ll be extremely unpleasant and you’d most likely want to quit right there and then. Only those who can endure this kind of hardship, learn from their mistakes and persevere on will make it.

C

CreditViolet

I’ve experienced big losses, but have always been able to come back with a winning streak. So, I am no longer that sensitive about losses. I know that I can make them back. Because of this, I am more willing to stop trading on bad days and take small or medium losses.

One of my strengths is the ability to become more aggressive during winning streaks and to do the opposite during a losing streak. This goes against what most people do. You should have a person who has nothing to do with trading who will turn off the trading terminal after a certain amount of losses and send you home; that would save traders thousands.

I am constantly adjusting my trading style to match specific market conditions. For example, on volatile days I generally put fewer orders into the market and execute more directional trades, although I mostly hold them for only a few seconds.

I always set strict daily targets and limits for my profit and loss. The most important element is the stop limit, or simply the size of the loss, which will cause me to turn off my trading screen. I try to liquidate my positions as soon as they start going against me.

A guru or analyst might have to stick to his opinion, but a trader should not have an opinion at all. The stronger your opinion is, the more problems one has when it’s time to close a losing position.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Paul Rotter

Last edited by a moderator:
Quotes from Richard Wyckoff

Figuratively speaking, . . . the small trader should imagine himself as a hitch-hiker in the market. For the ordinary hitch-hiker, someone else supplies the car, chauffeur, oil and gas. When he thinks the car is about to go in his direction, he jumps aboard and rides as far as he thinks the car will go. When he notices the machine has been stopped by a red light, or is about to turn a corner and go in some other direction, or that the car is running out of gas, or the brakes failing to work properly, he steps off and figures he has secured about as long a ride as he may expect. All he has supplied in this transaction is a modest commission and whatever brains were necessary to observe and recognize the opportunity when to get on and off.

. . . the experience of the past few years has emphasized the value of disregarding all considerations except those which relate to price movement, volume and time. If one is endeavoring to realize profits from the principal swings in prices of stocks, it is my opinion that he should disregard fundamental as well as corporate statistics relating to the stocks in which he is trading, stick closely to a study of the action of the market and become deaf and blind to everything else.

Your judgment will become poorer from the very time when you decide that you know more about the market than the market is telling you. From that moment your results will be unsatisfactory, for in this trading business the tape is the boss. You must learn to obey its orders, doing exactly what it tells you. When you can accomplish this, you are on the high road to success in your stock trading.

CV
:eek:
Great stuff,CV........ :)

Saint

A guru or analyst might have to stick to his opinion, but atrader should not have an opinion at all. The stronger your opinion is, the more problems one has when its time to close a losing position.
.....and more top class stuff.Very nice!

Saint

C

CreditViolet

We trade only price. We do not trade information. We do not trade knowledge (of the asset being traded). Nor do we trade computing power or expertise. We do not trade anything at all other than price: ie: the number. Therefore since the only factor that counts in this game is the price, it is only smart to focus all, or almost all, our attention on this number on the pice and its movement; in other words, what the price has done in the past and is doing in the present. Approach the game/business of trading in this manner - an up down number game where the focus is on what the price does and not why - and you will be on the right path to succss as a trader

You are trading against the wealthiest and most knowledgeable people and organizations in the world.Do not delude yourself, you cannot compete on their terms: information, knowledge, experience, staying power, and so on.Do not spend time and energy trying to figure out why a price moves.Focus all your attention and energy solely on what the price is doing.You are a trader. A trader does not get paid to understand or explain why something has happened. The question "why?" deals with the past. The question "what?" deals with the present and provides the best clues to the future. And never forget that you are trading "futures," not "pasts." Discovering the supposed "why" of a price move will provide you with little more than temporary intellectual comfort. Whereas observing and focusing on what the price has done and is doing will help you anticipate what the price will do in the future. Leave the intellectualizing to those paid for their words not their deeds, i.e., journalists and brokerage house analysts

Predictions tend to lock you into a preconceived scenario of the future making it more difficult for you to adapt to unforeseen events.Futures trading is not like betting on a horse race. In futures trading you can change your bet as the race progresses. In trading, as soon as you make a specific prediction about where a market is going, you sacrifice your freedom. A trader must always feel free to change trading positions on very short notice. And most importantly, you do not need to be good at predicting to do well at trading. If making predictions can be quite harmful and you do not need to be good at predicting in order to be successful, why bother with predicting at all? - Chick Goslin

C

CreditViolet

Plan for what is difficult while it is easy, do what is great while it is small. The difficult things in this world must be done while they are easy, the greatest things in the world must be done while they are still small. For this reason sages never do what is great, and this is why they achieve greatness. - Sun Tzu