Why not balanced funds?

Mr.G

@Mr.G,
Thanks Bro, you are right about my trading focus & incubator, but MF doesn't make any sense to me. Actually, i was just curious to know your investment thoughts as a Fund Manager for general investors not for me. :thumb:
General thoughts would be "Hire me to manage your stocks" lol.

Mr.G

The whole concept of MFs was to mobilize capital from people who:
A) Dont know how to professionally invest
B) Dont have the time to manage their investments.
Could be both factors apply here. What about a portfolio like below?

DSPBR Balanced 25%
FT India Balanced 25%
HDFC Prudence 25%
Reliance regular Savings Balanced 25%

What's your take?

Mr.G

Could be both factors apply here. What about a portfolio like below?

DSPBR Balanced 25%
FT India Balanced 25%
HDFC Prudence 25%
Reliance regular Savings Balanced 25%

What's your take?
I am not qualified to give MF advice, I'm sorry. But, il give you a tip. Hide the names out of all the funds and check out who the fund managers are. Most of the time huge funds are handled by B.Tech+PGDM guys. eg, SBI mutual funds.

And also look at performance under different portfolio managers. Mutual funds hide the fact that they had different fund manager in good return times and different in bad times.

Please don't just glow in the fund houses of your mutual funds. Rather look at the experience and qualifications of the salaried sheep your giving your money too.

I am not qualified to give MF advice, I'm sorry. But, il give you a tip. Hide the names out of all the funds and check out who the fund managers are. Most of the time huge funds are handled by B.Tech+PGDM guys. eg, SBI mutual funds.

And also look at performance under different portfolio managers. Mutual funds hide the fact that they had different fund manager in good return times and different in bad times.

Please don't just glow in the fund houses of your mutual funds. Rather look at the experience and qualifications of the salaried sheep your giving your money too.
I agree with you that fund managers matter and not the AMC names. Well I post below the details you wanted me to look at. To me, they all look qualified. How do I decide which manager is the most competent and with whom I should go?

HDFC Balanced-G
Chirag Setalvad
Since: Apr*-*2007
Mr. Setalvad is a Science Graduate and has done his MBA from University of North Carolina.
He has an experience of 10 years in Fund Management and Equity Research. Prior to this, he was with New Vernon Advisory Services Ltd for 3 yrs., with HDFC AMC for 4 long yrs. and had worked in ING Barings N.V. from Sept. 1996 till May 2000.

DSPBR Balanced-G
Dhawal Dalal
Since: Nov*-*2012
Mr. Dalal holds a degree in B.E and has also pursued an MBA.
Prior to joining DSPBR Asset Management Company, he has worked with Merrill Lynch Asset Management. He worked with the Private Client Group for about a year and then the Money market Mutual Fund desk of MLAM for another year.
Apoorva Shah
Since: Jun*-*2006
Mr. Shah has a Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) from the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad.
Prior to joining DSPBR AMC, held senior positions in the Global Private Client and Institutional Equity Sales divisions of DSP Merrill Lynch Ltd.

Reliance Regular Savings Balanced-G
Amit Tripathi
Since: Aug*-*2010
Mr. Tripathi holds a B.Com (H) degree and a PGDM.
From 1999 to 2003 he served at the New India Assurance Co. Ltd as an admin officer in the Investment Dept. Also featuring in his profile are stints with Sun Invest Associates Ltd as an Analyst for Equity Market Operations and CFS Financial Services P. Ltd as an Equity Dealer.
Sanjay Parekh
Since: Apr*-*2012
Mr. Parekh holds a B.Com degree and is a Chartered Accountant.
Mr. Parekh has over 17 years of stock market experience. Prior joining as Senior Equity Fund Manager in Reliance Mutual Fund, he worked with ICICI Prudential MF as Senior Equity Fund Manager, Ask Investments Managers as Head-Investments, Prabhudas Lilladher as Head-Private Wealth Group, Sunidhi Consultancy Services as Senior Analyst, Insight Asset Management as Senior Analyst & Capital Market Magazine as Corporate Analyst.

FT India Balanced-G
Anand Radhakrishnan
Since: Dec*-*2006
Mr. Radhakrishnan has done a B.Tech. and PGDM from IIM, Ahmedabad and is also a CFA.
Prior to joining Franklin Templeton AMC, has an experience of eight long yrs. of fund management at Sundaram Asset Management Ltd. and has also worked with SBI Funds Management for 2 yrs as Deputy Manager, Portfolio Manager of Asian Convertible and Income Fund.
Anil Prabhudas
Since: Feb*-*2011
Mr. Prabhudas is a Chartered Accountant (CA).
Prior to this, he has worked with Pioneer ITI AMC Ltd. as Assistant Vice President- Investments, with Petrosil Oil Company Ltd. and L.U. Krishnan and Co.
Sachin Padwal-Desai
Since: Aug*-*2006
Mr. Desai holds a B.E. degree and a PGDM from IIM, Bangalore.
He has also worked with ICICI Bank, Infosys Technologies and Thermax.
Umesh Sharma
Since: Jul*-*2010
Mr. Sharma is a Commerce Graduate and also holds degree in CS and CA.
Prior to this, he had an experience of working with ICICI Bank Ltd. as Research Analyst and with UTI and JM AMC as a Dealer.

Mr.G

See their trading style and how the current market is suited to their style. Look at the macro economics and then look at the composition of each portfolio they have. Im a fundamental analysis guy yaar. If I get down to analyzing them then all will run around screaming with their pants down. Make the call on your own judgement.

See their trading style and how the current market is suited to their style. Look at the macro economics and then look at the composition of each portfolio they have. Im a fundamental analysis guy yaar. If I get down to analyzing them then all will run around screaming with their pants down. Make the call on your own judgement.
While I follow the overall simplified picture, I am not a finance guy. That means I miss the fine line or simply don't understand them.

I want to build two portfolios as follows:

*Conservative*
15% Large-cap fund (Index)
05% Small-cap fund
05% Foreign equity fund
45% Intermediate-term Bond
30% Money Market

*Moderate*
40% Large-cap (Index)
05% Small-cap fund
05% Foreign equity fund
45% Intermediate-term Bond
05% Money Market

As for Index fund, HDFC Sensex Plus is on my radar. I am not sure about small cap and foreign funds

What funds would you recommend? Would be very much obliged if you just give your input.

Mr.G

Your:

if you perfectly secured health and life insurance for all family members

if you have enough money saved in PF

how much risk can u take

Your:

if you perfectly secured health and life insurance for all family members

if you have enough money saved in PF

how much risk can u take
I don't live there. I don't care for health and life insurance. My adopted country would take care of me if I travel to. Cold and cough can be taken care of by myself.

My job is pensionable and I would have enough pension to live in India. I just need a house in a 2nd/3rd tier city as I can't live in a big city in India.

I have no liabilities. I have enough experience and qualifications to work in an industry or a top notch institute in India but I don't want to do this unless I feel it's difficult to live without a regular salary.

The problem is I am thinking of early retirement 10 years before the regular retirement age (65 years). This will happen in next 5 years from now if I decided to do so.

Early retirement would result in slashed pension and other benefits and I would have to supplement the fall in income from savings. In addition I would need sufficient fund to pursue my interest. That's why I have to save and plan the future.

My idea is to have two portfolios - one conservative and the other moderate. I already have a very aggressive portfolio which is down by 30% at the moment.

Mr.G

Put all your money in a moderate portfolio and keep adding SIP to both aggressive and moderate.