Who is assessee for capital gains tax

Hi Everybody,
I am a first time participant of this forum.I have a question regarding capital gains tax.In 1996 I purchased a house and I gifted it in 2008 to my wife, by way of an oral gift. As per Muslim personal law of India Oral gift is as good as a registered gift and is accepted as such by courts and property registration authorities.
My wife sold it in 2014. I understand that for evaluating the capital gains tax the cost of property to donor and the his date of acquization is considered.My question is as the property was aquired by her as gift from me and sold by her woh is required to pay capital gains tax, the donor or the donee (in this case wife) of the said property.
Zia Khan

Some people consider tax bill as burden especially nowadays that we are recovering from the aftermath of the recession. Tax rates increase while take-home pay decreases. Congressional Research Service found out that lower tax rates do not necessarily help in the financial growth of the country. This was the reason why the Congress requests to withdraw the report released regarding tax and the economy.