Whats the difference : Expansion External HDD and Back up External HDD

umeshmandal

I am planning to by a External HDD for back up storage.
While searching I cam across these terms in items of Seagate :

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive (Price 4057)

Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive (Price 4360)

What is the difference? Please explain in lay man's terms!

I am planning to by a External HDD for back up storage.
While searching I cam across these terms in items of Seagate :

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive (Price 4057)

Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive (Price 4360)

What is the difference? Please explain in lay man's terms!
According to me they differ on three counts .One is the Operating systems (OS) compatibility,second is inbuilt data backup software in Hard disc drive (HDD) and third is weight and dimensions.

(1) Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive supports Windows OS as well as MAC OS .Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable Hard Drive supports only Windows OS..

(2)Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive has inbuilt data backup software. Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable Hard Drive does not has inbuilt data backup software.

(3)Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External HDD weighs 141 g and has dimensions of 11.4 x 7.6 x 1.2 cm whereas Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable weighs 159 g. and has dimensions of 12.2 x 8.1 x 1.5 cm. Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External HDD is comparatively more portable being less in weight and lesser sizes.

Compared using these links:
http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00GASLJK6#productDetails

http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B009PJG3MQ#productDetails

Get these three things clarified from the vendor or manufacturer.

Personally the inbuilt data backup software is not of much use because i usually do a copy-paste type backup. Secondly, if we format the HDD then the inbuilt data backup software would be lost. The most crucial thing for me is whether i need the feature of the HDD being compatible with MAC OS or not. In my opinion it is better to have the compatibility with both Windows and MAC.My advise is go for any brand and model of your choice but which supports MAC OS as well as Windows OS. I would also advise you to buy a protective case which has some padding to prevent shocks.These external HDD's are very prone to get damaged due to shocks even if they fall from half a feet.

Last edited: