whats the deal with Turtle Traders

marcus

As I'm reading more and more about trading every alternate website refers to something in the 80's called "the turtle experiment" or the "turtle traders", some websites even try to sell the turtle rules all claiming they have THE original rules divulged by an original turtle as he exploited an unclear clause in his contract with his mentor. Other websites claim they are proprietory rules and the turtles are bound by a legal clause in their contract never to divulge them so all the websites are selling are in fact fake turtle trading rules.

I just waned to separate the fact from the fiction, does anyone know what this turtle traders is all about?

:confused:

Turtle trading is a simple strategy for swing trading. This strategy is developed by a group called turtle traders and they claim that the members of this group earn an average annual return of 80% on their trades.

Hi marcus
Turtle trading was a experiment started by one of greatest traders Richard dennis, who wanted to prove that Top Trading performance can be taught and traders can be bred like turtles.
And wonder of wonders it was succesful.
A group of 13 "Trutles" were all given an account and a set of trading rules and were monitored and all were enormously succesful.
They also had a secrecy agreement. Later on the group disbanded.
Now some of Turtles sell the Turtle secrets(~$200-2000)
Mostly they used 20 day breakout and very good money mangement and position sizing.
One can learn the rules but the for the turtles the discipline and control was managed from Dennis and Eckhart, who will do that for us.
I can send u rules supposedly written by another Turtle"Chris Faith"
Would u belive it and trade it?
I doubt.

AJAY

Dear Marcus / Terahertz,

It is not a swing trading system. It is a trend based trading mechanism. One of the most successful trading practices, in those days. And it was not developed by the Turtles. A group traders were given training into the trade mechanism by one of the most successful traders in those days- I forgot his name even :( , perhaps some Rich.....-and were given money to manage as per the rules of the system. At a later date people started calling them Turtles. I'll try to recollect the site name which gives the complete details about turtle trading. Or I look for the document what I was having with me. If I get it I'll upload and give you a link. It is a 38 page document as far as my memory goes.

All the very best in your TA Exploration

AJAY