What were the worst trading mistakes that we commited from the list?

Worst mistakes that I commited were...

• Traded blindly without any homework or trading plans

Votes: 149 43.7%
  • Traded without Stop Loss or with too big Stop Losses (poor Risk Management).

Votes: 178 52.2%
  • Traded way too many trades in a day resulting net losses (poor Risk and Money Management).

Votes: 95 27.9%
  • Traded against the prevailing trend and then booked losses (poor Plan and Risk Management).

Votes: 127 37.2%
  • Traded with the trend but booked small profit and too early.

Votes: 129 37.8%
  • Traded at Market Price in less volume scrips resulting big losses.

Votes: 41 12.0%
  • Traded on speculations/rumour/news resulting big losses.

Votes: 53 15.5%
  • Traded within fear/greed barrier without risk/reward ratio.

Votes: 103 30.2%
  • Have commited all above and now seasoned trader.

Votes: 65 19.1%
  • None of above but some other.

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters
Just curious to see what were worst trading mistakes that we commited for the list just to help each others....

* Traded blindly without any homework or trading plans (poor discipline).

* Traded impatinanctly in congestion or non-trending zone (poor trade plan).

* Traded without Stop Loss or with too big Stop Losses (poor Risk Management).

* Traded way too many trades in a day resulting net losses (poor Risk and Money Management).

* Traded against the prevailing trend and then booked losses (poor Plan and Risk Management).

* Traded with the trend but booked small profit and too early.

* Traded with good plan (mm, rm, plan, discipline) but with no faith in the plan resulting less profit to cover other big losses.

* Traded booking small profits and big losses.

* Traded at Market Price in less volume scrips resulting big losses.

* Traded on speculations, rumour or news and getting traped in Market Makers game resulting big losses.

* Traded within fear/greed barrier and without knowing risk/reward ratio.

* Traded on spoon fed tips resulting huge losses.

* Traded getting psyched from CNBC or US/Europe speculations and resulted huge losses.

* Have commited all above and now seasoned trader.

* Have commited some of Marked above Plus some other

* None of above but some other.

* Never commited any mistakes.

* Traded not even realizing after loosing lots of money & time in markets is Not Knowing which Time frame suits personality.

* Averaging and overleveraging to losing position and selling in panic.

* Converted intraday or swing trades into short term and long term without reasons.

* Committed some or all of above - again and again.

* Was unable to bare the loss and then traded more and more to recover the loss..ultimately completely or nearly wiped out the account.

Last edited:

musicjunkie

Re: What were worst trading mistakes that we commited for the list.

Think one of my biggest mistakes,

Traded without Stop Loss or with too big Stop Losses (poor Risk Management).

MJ-

Prabhjeet

In my view the most common mistake that Traders do and not even realise even after loosing lots of money & time in markets is Not Knowing which Time frame suits their personalities

In my view the most common mistake that Traders do and not even realise even after loosing lots of money & time in markets is Not Knowing which Time frame suits their personalities
Fully agree with you Prabhjeet, but also will go one step further and say that most of the traders trade a method which is not in sync with their mental frame of mind/personalities. I have seen countless traders who are hyperactive and try to trade on hourly or daily timeframes and the moment price goes little against them ,they panic and dump their positions and at worse,reverse. Also a calm and quiet person tries to scalp the market with 1 min timeframe and does not take a quick profit and ends up into a loss. This mismatch creates tension in traders mind and a tensed mind is worst thing to have in trading.

As for mistakes, I have the honour of commiting all known ( and still discovering new ones :D) mistakes but the greatest improvement in my trading came about when I understood the concept of success rate and the reward/risk of any trading method. Now I will never take a trade with idea of making 10 points with a stoploss of 10 points unless I am sure that the method has a success rate of over 60-70 %( which I know that is very difficult to hit ) And making a trade with 10 points objective and 20 points stoploss is unthinkable now. But initially,most of my trades used to be in the last catagory..

The biggest mistake I still commit is I try to outsmart the system and in the process loose a good position in the market. If I am long and market takes a rally,I find it very tempting to sell and take profit with the idea of adding some more points by scalping. I loose a good position many a times and later dont know where to enter again. Trying to control this with discipline.

Smart_trade

Last edited:

Title of the thread -- What were worst trading mistakes that we commited for the list-- I request successful traders [ those who are trading for more than 5 years and still going on ] to contribute their trading methods so that new/interested in day-trades(particularly fno traders) will be benefited

AW10

I have made all of the above mistakes and many more. I can think of adding following 2 to the list at this moment..
* Shifted timeframe of trade,on the fly, while in the trade
* Entered wrong orders (mainly typo) - i.e.wrong quantity, wrong order type. wrong limit/stop price

Happy Trading

I have made all of the above mistakes and many more. I can think of adding following 2 to the list at this moment..
* Shifted timeframe of trade,on the fly, while in the trade
* Entered wrong orders (mainly typo) - i.e.wrong quantity, wrong order type. wrong limit/stop price

Happy Trading
Very true.

RSI

I shall add the following which readily come to my mind

* Holding on to a loosing position and trying to justify initial trade which has already gone against and which has already blown through the stop (if one really has any) aka mental stop

* Trying to exit a trade on a larger timeframe than the one entered in to.

* Hoping that a looser will turn winner. Reluctance to accept reality.

* Not analysing loosing trade and not trying to learn lessons from it aka repeating same mistake.

Last edited: