Trading as Profession

Hi guys, this is a brilliant thread. Thanks for all the experiences. It is refreshing to read people's views dating back to 2008.!

Are there any platforms or propitiatory trading firms in India?

toingpoing

Very wise words... Thanks Saint for revealing your journey & thanks Tlahuicole for guiding me to this very old post...
I happened to read this and thought would again re post after such long period. Very inspiring indeed... We in TJ have highest respect and regards for Saint,for his knowledge,experience and very useful posts.....:)

toingpoing

Just wanted to share my experience here...

I started 'investing' at the age of 18/19 and have been in one way or the other in the markets... either as a trader directly in the stocks or by investing through the numerous mutual funds.

Pls notice I say investing... I did later on become a day-trader and quit, primarily because I didn't have time... and yes I did lose money.

I now practice various strategies... value investing, momentum/growth investing and of course highly speculative trades with options. Most of my experience was garnered from the US markets... and I'm adapting what I learnt to Indian markets... Asset Allocation, Trailing Stops, Position Sizing etc.

Once you understand the difference b/w trading and investing... you'll take a different approach.

Today, I live investments 24 hours a day... not healthy I know... early morning (7 am Bahrain Time) I check into Indian Markets... then during the day... I focus on my profession - as a Merchant Banker/Investment Banker... and then returning home after 4.30 I get onto the US Markets till 11 pm... I guess the only free time is Saturday and then Sunday (but thats working in Middle East) - so I focus on other things...

Life is not easy as an investor/trader... it takes alot of effort to be good. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise...

So far so good...
This post too needs to be reposted after such long time!!! wow!!