Tips for short-selling?

I am new to trading, and though I have somehow figured out how to be on the green side while taking long positions (mostly); I inevitably end up losing money whenever I attempt to take short positions. Either I delay the exit or I almost always enter late into the trade and the moment I short a stock, it goes up.
Can anyone share some tips as to how to get this right? What methods to do use to get early into a shorting trade (without using charts)?

I am new to trading, and though I have somehow figured out how to be on the green side while taking long positions (mostly); I inevitably end up losing money whenever I attempt to take short positions. Either I delay the exit or I almost always enter late into the trade and the moment I short a stock, it goes up.
Can anyone share some tips as to how to get this right? What methods to do use to get early into a shorting trade (without using charts)?
Are you ready to share your this method of going green in long trades.
If yes, then please share it here.
If no, then why do you expect that anyone will help you sharing his method.

Shorting a stock is not easy. You could short it by different methods
1) sell in the cash market using margin (in ICICI that is the option, I am not sure about other brokers)
2) Sell Futures
3) Buy put options or sell call options

The timing is most critical thing and I would advise doing it using options and futures rather than in the cash market as I believe in the cash market you have to square off intraday. The trade would be justified if the stocks moves quite a lot in a day like RCOM for example.

Shepherd

bunti_k23

rahul doesnt know it all......to short a stock look for stocks that are near 52 week lows..when the stock rises wait for your particular indicators to give negative divergences and then short it by using gud stoploss.advantage of using this method is u r always with the main longterm trend...e.g tata steel , dlf, l and t, and some banking stocks i prefer this strategy only for positional trade...gud luk