THREE things to be done every week !!!

columbus

1.CLEAR TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES

Perhaps Ccleaner will do that job.You need to close your browser completely to do that.

2.DEFRAG YOUR COMPUTER

One of the reasons , for slowness of your computer.It is available in SYSTEM
TOOLS menu.

3. RUN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keeps your computer healthy.

Since 2 & 3 take a lot of time ,just keep them for non-trading day.
you can not use computer while running DEFRAG & you can run
ANTI-VIRUS software while using computer.(Background).Only thing is
it take a bit more time.

In fact ,most of these things can be customorised to do the things at appointed times.

Apart from these PRESS (cntl+alt+del) to know the number of processes that are running.
At any cost ,do not delete any PROCESS without knowing what it is doing.

Last edited:

VJAY

Perhaps Ccleaner will do that job.You need to close your browser completely to do that.

2.DEFRAG YOUR COMPUTER

TOOLS menu.

it take a bit more time.

In fact ,most of these things can be customorised to do the things at appointed times.

Apart from these PRESS (cntl+alt+del) to know the number of processes that are running.
Nice information ...thanks columbus it really helps dumb like me :)

TracerBullet

2.DEFRAG YOUR COMPUTER

TOOLS menu.

it take a bit more time.

1) Why is this needed every week? Perhaps once in a while, yes.

2) Not needed win 7 onwards. Windows does it.. Also defrag will rarely improve your speeds much unless its very very fragmented. Also read this.
Most of the times for common usage, Hard disk is the bottleneck ( loading times). SSD for OS and main programs should help a lot there.

3) Common sense + decent AV should do. MSSE should be enough. Win 10 has it integrated it seems with defendor. Just do quick scan whenever it prompts. You can also use Windows Firewall ( I use TinyWall GUI to manage it).

1) Why is this needed every week? Perhaps once in a while, yes.

2) Not needed win 7 onwards. Windows does it.. Also defrag will rarely improve your speeds much unless its very very fragmented. Also read this.
Most of the times for common usage, Hard disk is the bottleneck ( loading times). SSD for OS and main programs should help a lot there.

3) Common sense + decent AV should do. MSSE should be enough. Win 10 has it integrated it seems with defendor. Just do quick scan whenever it prompts. You can also use Windows Firewall ( I use TinyWall GUI to manage it).
You are right about 2 & 3, but disagree about 1. I run ccleaner every session before closing down. Reason(s) : clears hard disk space, clears the cache so that a new copy is loaded from the internet, removes any malicious software that may have crept in despite the anti-virus.

TracerBullet

You are right about 2 & 3, but disagree about 1. I run ccleaner every session before closing down. Reason(s) : clears hard disk space, clears the cache so that a new copy is loaded from the internet, removes any malicious software that may have crept in despite the anti-virus.
I havent used ccleaner for many months and have no issue. I use it only few times a year to clean up space but i cant see why to do it every day.( Btw additional way to save space is to use windows disk cleanup - recently it has added options to delete windows update backups which can be removed if system is stable - They are used to revert updates only.)

If you need to do it every day then you should check what is using up extra space and disable it. I dont know about IE but in firefox you can disable caching if you dont need it or specify max used space. Caching ideally should spead up times.

ccleaner is NOT to remove malware. Read this.

If you want additional scanning - First option is to have some fast cloud based scanner ( Hitman used to be good ). And/Or use something like malwarebytes. And disable unused addons+plugins and use common sense when browsing. Noscript + Self destructing cookies is very nice.

I guess everyone has a different experience. ccleaner is a habit since many years now. Maybe it is a security thing for me, to erase the footprints from the session, maybe it speeds up the browsing.. whatever. To each his own.
I havent used ccleaner for many months and have no issue. I use it only few times a year to clean up space but i cant see why to do it every day.( Btw additional way to save space is to use windows disk cleanup - recently it has added options to delete windows update backups which can be removed if system is stable - They are used to revert updates only.)

If you need to do it every day then you should check what is using up extra space and disable it. I dont know about IE but in firefox you can disable caching if you dont need it or specify max used space. Caching ideally should spead up times.

ccleaner is NOT to remove malware. Read this.

If you want additional scanning - First option is to have some fast cloud based scanner ( Hitman used to be good ). And/Or use something like malwarebytes. And disable unused addons+plugins and use common sense when browsing. Noscript + Self destructing cookies is very nice.

columbus

If you do not use ccleaner, clearing recycle bin ,temp files,history ,cookies ...........etc is a MUST.

columbus

Long ago, clearing HISTORY improved speed of my computer tremendously.

The advantage of having Ccleaner is that once a threshold value has
reached then a pop-out from system tray comes out to clean the computer
or not.

TracerBullet

I guess everyone has a different experience. ccleaner is a habit since many years now. Maybe it is a security thing for me, to erase the footprints from the session, maybe it speeds up the browsing.. whatever. To each his own.
yes, if you meant to remove session history then just schedule it on every shutdown (or dont save history in browser etc).

If you do not use ccleaner, clearing recycle bin ,temp files,history ,cookies ...........etc is a MUST.
Use ccleaner, its nice - but using every day/week is generally overkill. Oth, it never broke anything for me - so wont harm.
Btw, if you use firefox - check out "Self destructing cookies" addon - Very Nice - Allows saving just only those cookies that you need.

Long ago, clearing HISTORY improved speed of my computer tremendously.

The advantage of having Ccleaner is that once a threshold value has
reached then a pop-out from system tray comes out to clean the computer
or not.
Probably your disk was close to full (and ccleaner gave temporary relief). With a normal pc - clearing history should make no noticable difference in speed, but it feels nice to do it ... You can measure it yourself.