The time for Midcaps

It seems that the time for midcaps has come to play catch up.
Here's a list of a few midcaps that in my opinion are still to completely catch up as they have not risen as much as the others...
The list also includes bets for the medium term and info about other good midcaps.

...as on 20/5/09 (after trade)

1. ABG Shipyard (CMP 199.1 with 52 week high of 620!!)
2. Cosmo Films (Technically sound with good client base)
3. Electrosteel (The company's promising)
4. Dena Bank (CMP 47.9 - a must buy at these levels for the short term)
5. Kamat Hotels (Doing good in the rally and is far from its 52 week high)
6. Shipping Corporation
7. Sical Logistics (It's got a great growth path)
8. Titagarh Wagons (Doing very well!!)

So....
Which one's to buy?

I'd be glad if Savant Ji and the other stalwarts visit and recommend..

sudoku1

Here's a list of a few midcaps that in my opinion are still to completely catch up as they have not risen as much as the others...
The list also includes bets for the medium term and info about other good midcaps.

6. Shipping Corporation

So....
Which one's to buy?
on ur point of comparing the current price with 52 week high seems unjustified......
many stocks will never touch their 52 week high of 2008 in their life again for various reasons
:)

on ur point of comparing the current price with 52 week high seems unjustified......
many stocks will never touch their 52 week high of 2008 in their life again for various reasons
:)
That's not the sole decisive factor, yet it does factor in to some extent doesn't it?
I am new to the markets and will be pleased if I am proved wrong.
The number of times I am proved wrong, the more I will learn...

SavantGarde

While Cosmo Films & Kamat Hotels Are Not Something That I Track, Therefore I Will Reserve Comments On Those Two.

Rest Of Them Are Good For Accumulation & Many From The List Is Already In My BUYHOLD List.

Will Put Up Another List For Good Ones Over The Weekend For Next Week

Happy & Safer Investing

SavantGarde

6. Shipping Corporation

So....
Which one's to buy?

I'd be glad if Savant Ji and the other stalwarts visit and recommend..

ash.paul

Investing in Midcap/small cap or even Large Capital needs some kind of analysis.
Judging the value by their 52 week high prices or their all time high prices is a recipe for disaster.

You have to understand that people who invest in small Cap/mid cap stocks are either lazy looking for easy and fast money or they are Long term Investors (usually HNI's over 10-20 crores) who really know what they are doing, sound knowledge of fundamentals or the upcomming story of that particular companies, even though I havenot seen anyone like that who doesnot accept that it is a sort of gamble because sometimes it is extremely difficult to offload their holdings due to ''high illiquidity''.
So Promoters play their role by continuusly moving the price to that extent where general people start to think it is a hot penny stock only to see that stock tumbling south.
There could be some Midcap stocks which provide clear balance sheets or other statistics but you should be able to read it properly and know the company very well.
The health of the stock cannot accurately be assessed from the P/E Ratio only. To do this properly, copies of the Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss Account, the Chairman's Statement, the Report of the Directors, the Report of the Actuaries, have to be acquired, for a recommended period of at least five years and examined carefully by applying principles of Investment Analysis in order to assess the past curent and potential future health of the enterprise and its ability to maintain growth and compete and remain profitable and continue to be able to pay out dividends commensurate with progress. This is not a P/E Ratio, this means taking the company apart, in the same way that a skilled mechanic will dismantle an engine and put it back together again a.k.a ''The Intrinsic Value of the company''.
Investopedia definition: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/intrinsicvalue.asp

My question is why go for all that hassle?? Why not learn Technical Analysis and invest in Good Volatile stocks or any Liquid market. Atleast you will know what is your risk and when to exit, when to buy, when to short sell, leverage your position, compound it regularly etc etc..
Trust me you can make more money trading than investing but both requires hard work..
Buy and hold doesnot need to work. ya, may be I am wrong about Indian markets but go look at Japanese Stock prices you may understand what I am trying to say.

Last edited:

ash.paul

Re: The time for Investing

Looking at Indian Economic point of view I agree there is a lot of room for our country to grow in coming 20-30 years horizon. But who has got that much patience.
Look what Goldman Sachs are talking about BRIC nations.

Goldman Sachs On BRIC's

Go through these page videos

Last edited:
While Cosmo Films & Kamat Hotels Are Not Something That I Track, Therefore I Will Reserve Comments On Those Two.

Rest Of Them Are Good For Accumulation & Many From The List Is Already In My BUYHOLD List.

Will Put Up Another List For Good Ones Over The Weekend For Next Week

Happy & Safer Investing

SavantGarde
Am I waiting for that list or what....:thumb:

Investing in Midcap/small cap or even Large Capital needs some kind of analysis.
Judging the value by their 52 week high prices or their all time high prices is a recipe for disaster.

You have to understand that people who invest in small Cap/mid cap stocks are either lazy looking for easy and fast money or they are Long term Investors (usually HNI's over 10-20 crores) who really know what they are doing, sound knowledge of fundamentals or the upcomming story of that particular companies, even though I havenot seen anyone like that who doesnot accept that it is a sort of gamble because sometimes it is extremely difficult to offload their holdings due to ''high illiquidity''.
So Promoters play their role by continuusly moving the price to that extent where general people start to think it is a hot penny stock only to see that stock tumbling south.
There could be some Midcap stocks which provide clear balance sheets or other statistics but you should be able to read it properly and know the company very well.
The health of the stock cannot accurately be assessed from the P/E Ratio only. To do this properly, copies of the Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss Account, the Chairman's Statement, the Report of the Directors, the Report of the Actuaries, have to be acquired, for a recommended period of at least five years and examined carefully by applying principles of Investment Analysis in order to assess the past curent and potential future health of the enterprise and its ability to maintain growth and compete and remain profitable and continue to be able to pay out dividends commensurate with progress. This is not a P/E Ratio, this means taking the company apart, in the same way that a skilled mechanic will dismantle an engine and put it back together again a.k.a ''The Intrinsic Value of the company''.
Investopedia definition: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/intrinsicvalue.asp

My question is why go for all that hassle?? Why not learn Technical Analysis and invest in Good Volatile stocks or any Liquid market. Atleast you will know what is your risk and when to exit, when to buy, when to short sell, leverage your position, compound it regularly etc etc..
Trust me you can make more money trading than investing but both requires hard work..
Buy and hold doesnot need to work. ya, may be I am wrong about Indian markets but go look at Japanese Stock prices you may understand what I am trying to say.
That's a fairly good advice, and deep down I know that investing in stocks without sound technical analysis and basing my investments based on others' advice is not the best way to treat your hard earned money..

The problem with most of us is that we are lazy people (you were right) and want easy money. A change of attitude is needed, and when that change comes, we'll perhaps understand that there are better ways..

As far as I am concerned, I will take to the tools once my PCC exams are up.
I am 20 years of age and very new to the market.
This is my phase of learning, and once I'm through, I shall captain my ship rather than depend on some other captain. :thumb: