The Gann Box

This thread aims at Technical Analysis studies based on W.D. Gann's work

It would cover wide range of information rearding W. D. Gann and his forecasting methods

Since it is a revolutionary view of looking at stock market (I have to admit it), I would suggest the readers to have the basic knowledge of technical analysis.

Active Participation is expected

Biogrophy of a legend : W. D. Gann

Since it is impossibe to write a substantial amount on a blog, here is a short biography of th man who lived, earned, studies and predicted as the best one on wall street

Considered by some to be the greatest trader of all time, William Delbert Gann was born on a farm outside of Lufkin, Texas on June 6, 1878. The firstborn of 11 children, Gann never graduated from grammar school or attended high school, having the obligation of working his family's farm. His was raised as a Baptist and kept his faith throughout his life.

Gann began his trading career working in a brokerage in Texarkana while attending business school at night. He married Rena May Smith, and had two daughters. He moved to New York City in 1903 at the age of 25 and opened his own brokerage firm, W.D. Gann & Co.

In 1919 at the age of 41 he began publishing a daily market letter, the Supply and Demand Letter. The letter covered both stocks and commodities and made annual forecasts. In 1924 Gann's published his first book, Truth of the Stock Tape. His market forecasts during the twenties have been said to be 85 percent accurate. Gann also made forecasts outside the world of investing: he is said to have predicted the elections of Wilson and Harding among others. In his 1927 book, the Tunnel Through the Air, he predicted the attack on the United States by Japan. In his forecast for 1929, he predicted the market would hit new highs until early April, then experience a sharp break, then resume with new highs until September 3. Then it would top and afterward would come the biggest market crash in its history. Gann prospered during the Depression, which he predicted would end in 1932. He acquired seats on various commodities exchanges, traded for his own account, wrote Wall Street Stock Selector in 1930 and New Stock Trend Detector in 1936. He bought a plane in 1932 so he could fly over crop areas making observations to use in his forecasts.

He later moved to Miami, Florida where he continued his writings and studies up until his death from stomach cancer in 1955 at the age of 77. W.D. Gann is said to have taken more than 50 million dollars in profits out of the markets. He was buried with his second wife in Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn at a location that looks toward Wall Street.

Mr.Gann was the great trader at that TIME,

But now the time has been totaly changed,

You have to develope something NEW !

If you are going to act (copy) as RajKapur,RajendraKumar,Jitendra,ShammiKapur, etc. at THIS TIME,
you may be the Flop HERO !!

By the way,
Have a Nice Thread & Good Luck,

Ccitrader

It is believed that criticism is the first sign of improvement

So I must thank you ccitrader

First of all, I would suggest that you criticize the Longetivity of a particular method after knowing it (If Not thoroughly then atleast the basics) I would suggest you get some reading on this or If you have done so, Please make point-wise statements that about which point of Gann's method you disagree.

Studying a foreacasting method does not mean copying it. There is word called "Learning". Just like learning driving simply does not mean copying Michael Schumacher. So please, do not misconcept the thread.

No Hard Feelings.

Regards

Max

karthikmarar

Hi Makarand

Thanks for starting this thread. I am sure this will good learning oppurtunities for learning. Hope you will cover some basics also so that some of sceptical members will get a better insight in Gann's works.

Criticism is part of the game. Let it not bother you . Go on and teach us something new. looking forward.

Wishing you all the best.

regards

karthik

jatayoo

Hi Makarand

Thanks for starting this thread. I am sure this will good learning oppurtunities for learning. Hope you will cover some basics also so that some of sceptical members will get a better insight in Gann's works.

Criticism is part of the game. Let it not bother you . Go on and teach us something new. looking forward.

Wishing you all the best.

regards

karthik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
DEAR KARTHIK
Gann is more than a theory :it is a way of thinking.You know these Gann Boxes AND Squares ARE LIKE THE PERIODIC TABLES IN CHEMISTRY.They simply try to put into a format the projections on the basis of his theory.
.. I have reading for a few months about metastock,amibroker,equistrader on this board and deeply appreciating the tremendous time and efforts put in by themThe world over All Traders are using sophisticated software to trade.A real high degree of Mathematics to evolve source codes etc has gone into this effort.The Japaneese Use Ichimoku Charts.
Now are all these efforts rewarding to the POINT THAT ONE CAN SAY"YES I HAVE A PERFECT RELIABLE SYSTEM?" .. MY GUESS IS THAT THESE EFFORTS WILL CONTINUE TO THE END OF TIME,AND PERHAPS WITH IMPROVEMENTS THAT WILL BE SHORT OF OUR EXPECTATIONS.The day someone evolves a perfect or near perfect system the market is DEAD----The thrill will be over.
... So find a system that is a bit more sedate and that does not give whipsaws..... that is Ganns system.:D

mfire

Hi Markand
It is always good to get knowledge. Gann's indiacators holds true today also. Good thread you have started. Keep it up. I am looking forward for more information of these indicators and system.
Mohan

Wikipedia : " W D Gann's only son John Gann is alleged to have said that Gann never did actually make the sum that was claimed and actually lived off the proceeds of the books and courses that he sold " :confused:

But I myself have very strong results for "Square of Range". Willing to share with the person who can share truth (& not the theory) of "Square of Nine"

Omkar

I have not seen anyone who can consistently forecast any market with these methods. Cycles i suppose. But that does not make it less real.