Techdude's Trading Diary

First of all, let me give some background about me so that you can better understand me and my trading philosophy.

I am totally new to trading. I am an absolute beginner. In fact yesterday is when I placed my first buy order of nifty futures.

However, I am not new to stock market or investing. I have been active in the stock market for quite a while. It took me many years to hone my investing skills. I know consider myself a decent investor - perhaps even a good investor. I operate as a contrarian and buy value stocks based completely on fundamental analysis. I regularly, if not always, average down when price falls. I buy deep value out of favour stocks at 52 wk lows.

Till recently I had totally ignored technical analysis. I lived by the creed technical analysis is arrant nonsense and anyone practicing it is delusional. I had tried reading TA books many times but the lack of objectivity (in my perception) really put me off. It never let me finish the book or get any meaningful value out of TA.

What is "head and shoulders" or "cup and handle" is rather subjective and depends as much on the skill and perception of the person as on the chart. When I started looking at charts I could see head and shoulders everywhere or nowhere. So, I completely wrote off TA as not being my cup of tea. It might work for others (or so they claimed I thought) but it was definitely not for me. I had nothing but contempt for all TAs showing up on CNBC.

Nevertheless, I did read a lot of books on trading as the topic was similar or related to investing.

I was convinced of the uselessness of charts. That is till I encountered moving averages. MA, unlike many of the patterns of TA, is mathematical, absolute and precise.

I had known about MA crossover for a long time but it did not quite strike me as being something terribly important. Not till some ideas I picked up in different books came together.

I decided to give MA a try and I was absolutely amazed at its utility. The usefulness was simply mind boggling. See, I come from a background where I never time stocks. If I find value, I buy it then and there - feeling that any attempt at timing the stock is futile. I really did not care if the stock was in free fall. MA clearly showed that stocks in downtrend could be timed.

So from then on I became very interested in trading and looking for a good time to enter a stock I had been eyeing. As I read more and more, I became further interested in trading.

Some of the ideas of trading are completely opposite to everything I held dear as an investor. It took me many months to reconcile these contradictions. I now believe I am ready to try my hand at trading (as opposed to investing). I am going to trade nifty futures and see how things go. I will regular post my trades, the results and my thought process behind the trading.

My Transactions

Started with Rs. 50,000 as test trading capital

11th July
Bought 1 Lot of Mini Nifty at 5335.15

12th July
Market gapped down

Sold 2 Lots of Mini Nifty at 5,257.50 (covered my long. initiated short @market price)

Net position: Short 1 Lot Mini Nifty

Net Realized Profit/Loss so far: -1780.08

Re: My Transactions

Started with Rs. 50,000 as test trading capital

11th July
Bought 1 Lot of Mini Nifty at 5335.15
Why did you buy at 5335 ?? If it was a level that you arrived at by some calculations (MA, TA etc..), did you keep a filter ??

Actually, I just wanted to get started with trading that day. I was a bit inclined on the short side but decided that if nifty closed below 5300 I would go short otherwise I would go long. I decided that after placing the first order, I will respond based on how the market behaves.

My Trading Goals

It might surprise some people that my actual goal in this trading experiment is not primarily about making money! Of course I don't actually mean that I have a fancy for losing money, it is just that I won't measure my success just by the P/L account.

My actual goals in this trading activity are two fold:

1. Can I trust myself

My most important objective is to develop trust on myself. I trust myself completely as an investor - I want to know if I can do the same as a trader. I need to prove to myself that I am trustworthy when it comes to trading. I need to do what I think is right immediately and without hesitation. I need to know that I can handle a string of losses and yet follow through with my plan (whatever it is). If I lose all the money but come to know for sure that I can trust myself completely, I would think of it as money well spent.

Finding a working trading methodology to replace my losing method (if it proves to be so) should be rather easy. In fact I already have one that I plan to use later. There is no point reinventing the wheel - the turtle trading rules are just perfect for me. But I need to know that I can actually follow through with those rules.

2. Test my hypothesis
I believe in simplicity - deep simplicity. I have a hypothesis that most people make trading methodology out to be too complex. My hypothesis is that one can use just the movement of price and absolutely nothing else and still be successful. I am not even planning to use moving averages - which I really love and have complete conviction.

My trading method might seem like madness but there is a method behind the madness.

In any case I think risk management, money management, position sizing, cutting losses and letting profits run are the key (in that order).

Let us see how things pan out.