Stop Loss Calculator

hI FRNDS, its just a small request if the geeks if this forum can develop a SL calculator for traders. It can be like, u hav to just enter the Buy or sell price of the stock and the % SL u wish to have, plus wheteher ur Long or Short. thats all. Pls guys help

aad

Re: sTOP lOSS CACULATOR

hI FRNDS, its just a small request if the geeks if this forum can develop a SL calculator for traders. It can be like, u hav to just enter the Buy or sell price of the stock and the % SL u wish to have, plus wheteher ur Long or Short. thats all. Pls guys help
Dear ronald_peterson,

The calculation as needed by you can be easily done using a normal calculator... I mean, if it is just the % of buying / selling price (long / short), why need a special calculator ? I hope I got your needs correctly.

A stoploss calculator should take into account the noise created by intraday volatility (highs / lows) and calculate the stoploss accordingly (so that it is not hit by the volatility). This way, the only way your stoploss can get hit is by more-than-normal volatility or when the trend reverses (which is what we want). Please tell me if I am in sync with your requirement.

If this is what you want, please refer to my thread http://www.traderji.com/introductions/7714-stop-loss.html wherein I have given my method of calculating stoploss. If you are using metastock, I can give you the formula (stoploss indicator).

Regards,

Abhay (AAD)

aad

Dear ronald_peterson,

The calculation as needed by you can be easily done using a normal calculator... I mean, if it is just the % of buying / selling price (long / short), why need a special calculator ? I hope I got your needs correctly.

A stoploss calculator should take into account the noise created by intraday volatility (highs / lows) and calculate the stoploss accordingly (so that it is not hit by the volatility). This way, the only way your stoploss can get hit is by more-than-normal volatility or when the trend reverses (which is what we want). Please tell me if I am in sync with your requirement.

If this is what you want, please refer to my thread http://www.traderji.com/introductions/7714-stop-loss.html wherein I have given my method of calculating stoploss. If you are using metastock, I can give you the formula (stoploss indicator).

Regards,

Abhay (AAD)

There is no need of a special stop loss calculator as nobody is ever want to do a special loss....
Secondly, stop loss is always based on how deep your pockets are.
What basically you need is Discipline in your Trading/Investment strategy.
I hope you got it.....

cmak

aad

cmak
Sorry to say but I do not agree with this. However deeper pocket one may have, money management rules should be the same. Deeper pocket can give you a comfort level probably but it should not allow to put stoploss way down so that it is not hit. What is the meaning of stop-loss otherwise ??

Regards,

Abhay (AAD)

ronald,

long back i developed a Excel Based Portfolio Management with Stop Loss Alert.

Below is the link for it. I remember it uses 2% as Stop Losst and the concept is derived from Elder's "Trading for A Living" Book. I love him....

http://www.traderji.com/attachments...zing-strategy-market-maths-ver-3.1.2-beta.xls

Satya

Dear ronald_peterson,

Regards,

Abhay (AAD)
Hi Abhay, i dont know whether ur trading Intraday or not? If u do im sure u know that by definitions in intraday trade u hardly have anytime. Say ur trading in 4 calls of stocks which u dont trade very often and ur gettin calls live. after i place an order i make sure i place a stop and only then move to next. So it can be a problem. And i hope ur talin of Trailing stop which is a different issue. if u change ur stop frequenly u might be in trouble. I dont know i always have 1-1.5% sl. Not more than that.
And Satya thanks again.

There is no need of a special stop loss calculator as nobody is ever want to do a special loss....
What basically you need is Discipline in your Trading/Investment strategy.
I hope you got it.....

cmak
Oh Stops are the one of the founfation stones of ur Trading Strategy. As it means protecting ur capital and giving more life to ur Trading career. Yes trading acc to ur pockets is ok but without proper stops u might be very soon Wiped out.

aad

Hi Abhay, i dont know whether ur trading Intraday or not? If u do im sure u know that by definitions in intraday trade u hardly have anytime. Say ur trading in 4 calls of stocks which u dont trade very often and ur gettin calls live. after i place an order i make sure i place a stop and only then move to next. So it can be a problem. And i hope ur talin of Trailing stop which is a different issue. if u change ur stop frequenly u might be in trouble. I dont know i always have 1-1.5% sl. Not more than that.
And Satya thanks again.
Hi Ronald_peterson,

As I thought, I am not in sync with you. What I said was for trailing stop-loss which is not applicable for intraday. Although I got your problem, I am not the correct person to help you on this as I am not into intraday.

Regards,

Abhay (AAD)

Oh Stops are the one of the founfation stones of ur Trading Strategy. As it means protecting ur capital and giving more life to ur Trading career. Yes trading acc to ur pockets is ok but without proper stops u might be very soon Wiped out.
Hi Ronald,
When I read your message first time, I thought that either you are already a day trader or you wanted to be a day trader. That is the exact reason why you need a stop loss calculator. So, I mentioned about the deep pocket before doing the trading.
The intra-day volatility normally turns a positive transaction into a negative within fraction of seconds and in few hours time back again to positive. In such volatility it is very natural that fear of loss overpowers the thinking. The strength only comes when you are able to overcome that fear.
In this market since we deal in money, we must have a disciplined way of approach and able to sustain accordingly.
'Stops' are not fixed into any percentages but most of times they are based on the stocks you enter into. The stronger the stock the more confident you are.... So wiping out is out of question.
These are my views. Other membes may differ. You have your own choices...
Have a nice time of tradings....

cmak