Starting with algo trading. Need some advice.

Hi all,

I have a lot of programming experience in different programming languages (Java, Python, and C/C++), and am seriously considering doing algo trading as a retail investor (aside from my full time job). I want to be able to receive real-time feeds, and code up and execute my own strategies - all without manual intervention, since I will be busy at work during the day.

Is this realistic? Looks like the fully-automated trading software that is available through the brokers currently is not mature at all. Am I correct?

What sort of an initial investment amount (trading capital+brokerage signup fees etc.) am I looking at? I do have good quality hardware available, so that is not an issue.

What sort of returns can I expect?

Thanks for your time.

jahan

Hi all,

I have a lot of programming experience in different programming languages (Java, Python, and C/C++), and am seriously considering doing algo trading as a retail investor (aside from my full time job). I want to be able to receive real-time feeds, and code up and execute my own strategies - all without manual intervention, since I will be busy at work during the day.

Is this realistic? Looks like the fully-automated trading software that is available through the brokers currently is not mature at all. Am I correct?

What sort of an initial investment amount (trading capital+brokerage signup fees etc.) am I looking at? I do have good quality hardware available, so that is not an issue.

Thanks for your time.
Hello,

don't mind...but the real fact is trading requires solid psychology and trade management techniques....if u incorporate this in ur system...then offcourse u can enter in markets with any amount and expect any kind of result.....

Regards,

throwawayacc123

Dear all
Algo Trading Available in india for retail customer. it able to receive real-time feeds, and execute trade your own strategies .all is without manual intervention. Also no need of psychical presence, no phone call to broker for trading purpose.

Regards
Prashant alai

Really, and which broker would let you do this without taking NSE Certifications.

Which specific certifications does one have to get? And then do they let you do fully automated trading?

Also, I am not seeing Amibroker's India specific site. I see amibroker.com from where one can download trial software and work with it. Does it connect to the broker's terminals in Indian stock exchanges? I don't want to download the software and waste the trial period when I don't have much info about how it works, so any other thoughts/comments on this will be helpful.

Any other Indian broker gives free trials? Or at nominal rates? Does not have to be fully automated - semi-automated will do?

Thanks for your help.

Algo

Hi all,

Thanks for your time.
Take a look at this post http://symphonyfintech.wordpress.co...-looking-for-apis-of-order-management-system/

If you have a logic, tried and tested manually you may succeed. But after developing the logic i would recommend do paper trading with them even if they force you to go live first.

Take a look at this post http://symphonyfintech.wordpress.co...-looking-for-apis-of-order-management-system/

If you have a logic, tried and tested manually you may succeed. But after developing the logic i would recommend do paper trading with them even if they force you to go live first.
Thanks for your answer and suggestions.

I am familiar with Symphony's Presto. Do you (or anyone else reading this thread) have personal experience with it? I will be grateful if you can share your experiences in detail (when you started, how much you invested, problems you faced, pros/cons of Presto, etc.). And if you don't mind my asking, can you tell me what kinds of returns you (and others you may know) are getting?

Also, what are their prices like? And where can I see a detailed API documentation?

PS: Do they provide historical data download?

Last edited:
I am guessing if people have access to backtesting and paper trading tools then they can develop smart quantitative algorithms which might be very different to what HFTs do.

Cheers,
Nishant
https://docs.google.com/a/effte.co/...UH1Bdj38nlOhDuqrc7HctDOsoM/edit?usp=drive_web
That is exactly what I have in mind - quant investing. Do you or anyone else on this forum have experience in developing quant strategies for Indian markets? I am especially interested in hearing from those who have tried it as retail investors.