Some basic questions about Ami

Hi,
I have some basic questions about Ami and request Ami users to answer.

1) How do i see which database Ami has currently displaying from?

2) If certain database is big and I want to delete some particular data from it, how do i do it? In that particular database folder, it only shows as type file as "file" and all gibberish inside it when opened in notepad.

3) When I add an AFL to a chart, how do i remove it from there without closing that chart?

4) What are layers and layouts used for?

Thank you.

Which charting software do you use?

manojborle

Hi,

2) If certain database is big and I want to delete some particular data from it, how do i do it? In that particular database folder, it only shows as type file as "file" and all gibberish inside it when opened in notepad.

3) When I add an AFL to a chart, how do i remove it from there without closing that chart?

Thank you.
1. Go to tool/preferences/Data
Here you can set default database path.

Go to File/database settings, there you can see current database path.

2. Go to Symbol/Delete, selected symbol will be deleted. With this you can delete whatever data you want to delete from database.

3. Just Right click on Chart and select delete indicator, select the afl which was loaded and click ok. AFL will be removed without closing chart.

4. You can find info about layers here. http://www.amibroker.net/video/layers.html

You can find info about layouts here. http://www.amibroker.com/video/layouts.html

Dear All,

Where does one find resources for learning Amibroker from scratch; basics first... advanced has to taken up afterwards.

Thanks
Rajesh later

mastermind007

Answers to your queries is provided inline

Hi,

On the status bar (at the bottom of Amibroker), you will see lots of information such as market name and sector. Name of the actual database is on 4th status pane from the right. It will only show the last folder name of the entire DB path.

This is complicated although there are many ways to do this. I have a thread on this site in which I have provided a VB script to delete past data between two given dates. The approach used in that vb script is very slow.

Also, never edit the file directly (unless you know what to do) as it may get corrupted.

Add a new blank pane from the file menu and then right click->Pane->Close on the chart pane of the AFL that you do not want

Lay outs become useful when you are dealing with multiple databases. It allows you to save configuration of certain number of charts and can ensure that the same charts open every time.

Layers are like transparencies that can be placed atop a chart. Plot function has a parameter that allows you to define the layer for the array being plotted. If you plot something on a specific layer only, it will not be visible on any another layer.

Last edited:

mastermind007

3. Just Right click on Chart and select delete indicator, select the afl which was loaded and click ok. AFL will be removed without closing chart.

Please do not use delete indicator option like this. It may also delete the AFL from the folder.